• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Get out. Get out now.
Yep, that neatly sums up all our attitudes to Latham atm.

After a couple months of ceaseless positivity it's time for me to return to my roots. We're not going to win the world cup. The reason for this is that we only have 3 batsmen of any quality, which is not enough to consistently put the kind of scores on the board to win game after game. I hope I'm wrong, but ODI's are a batsman's game, and we just don't have enough of them atm.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'm not too worried about it, although it did cost us the match on this occasion.

I'm expecting Henry to outbowl Boult and Milne throughout this series. He was a class above them both today.
I was expecting him to outbowl them today. I wonder if the selectors were too?

I wonder why Henry was so expensive in the domestic 50 over games he played when he returned from UAE. IIRC at least one was played at Aorangi Oval in Timaru which always produces high scores.

I think Blocky was correct, that the selectors seemed to have gone for theories over proven performance in this case. I recall Turner did a similar thing picking Kennedy on the basis of his action or something ahead of Chris Pringle for the WC.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Milne bowled well tbh.
Yeah, he was consistently hitting a pretty good length. The problem was that he failed to adjust to the conditions, and those good length balls just sat up to be hit through the off side (which Dilshan duely did).

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ have an opening if this becomes a double strike.. I don't trust Thiri with anything really.
Despite his recent success at no 6 in ODIs? One of few to walk away from India with any credit and played beautifully against England when given the chance, if anything he's among our most dependable guys in the team atm

Adgey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yep, that neatly sums up all our attitudes to Latham atm.

After a couple months of ceaseless positivity it's time for me to return to my roots. We're not going to win the world cup. The reason for this is that we only have 3 batsmen of any quality, which is not enough to consistently put the kind of scores on the board to win game after game. I hope I'm wrong, but ODI's are a batsman's game, and we just don't have enough of them atm.
Agree with you for the most part, but we have 4 in my opinion.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kyle Mills will never win NZ a World Cup. Book it.
How does a) a bowler 'win a World Cup' b) can you name the last instance of it happening?

You give it that 3-4 wickets a game line...something Trent has never done. He's never taken 5-for in a List A game either. Completely ignoring the fact that if you score 300, and we will have to win big games, Kyle Mills taking 1-40 is something you take every day.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Geez Mahela really wasn't pleased with that Vettori decision, not sure broadcaster should have tuned in to the stump mic at that time though

viriya

International Captain
Despite his recent success at no 6 in ODIs? One of few to walk away from India with any credit and played beautifully against England when given the chance, if anything he's among our most dependable guys in the team atm
Felt like he gave back that progress in the test series by reverting to the england series horror show.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Milne didn't bowl well. He got driven a couple of times then barely pitched it fuller than short of a length.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
my fantasies of being able to casually watch the cricket while occaisionally pouring a drink were shattered. Didn't have a clue what was going on until everyone started cheering and I realised baz had 100

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can't wait for Latham to score a ton at a 120 SR next game and you all to admit he's better than Williamson, Anderson, Neesham and Watling put together.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
I'm not worrying too much about yesterday's performance, Dilshan had a good knock and we had a few issues with running between the wickets.

Milne was taken to by Dilshan 54 off 32 with 12 fours, but he did well against Sanga 2 runs off 9 balls and a wicket. I hope he gets a go in Auckand as it's better to get straight back on the horse rather then dwell about it for a week. The pitch should suit him more as well. He needs to use the yorker more and get his bouncer a bit higher, his slower balls are decent as well a few more of them would be good.

Our world cup hopes revolve around our big three (Baz, Kane and Ross), Ross needs to be more assertive and to look for more scoring options especially singles. If he doesn't pick his form up we have little chance. Our bowling and fielding units are in great form we just need to get the run's on the board and we'll go well. Guptill and Latham/Elliott contributing something would be handy.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
good performance by us especially as differnt batsmen are getting the big runs..We just need a ton from Sanga and Angie in the next few games...Anderson's running btw:blink:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Man, when NZ was batting it looked like we couldn't hit a proper cricket shot off the block. To get a boundary we had to play ugly cricket shots. Then when SL was batting they made it look so easy. Did the pitch quicken up? Or was it the pace of our bowlers?

jonbrooks

International Debutant
I'm not worrying too much about yesterday's performance, Dilshan had a good knock and we had a few issues with running between the wickets.

Milne was taken to by Dilshan 54 off 32 with 12 fours, but he did well against Sanga 2 runs off 9 balls and a wicket. I hope he gets a go in Auckand as it's better to get straight back on the horse rather then dwell about it for a week. The pitch should suit him more as well. He needs to use the yorker more and get his bouncer a bit higher, his slower balls are decent as well a few more of them would be good.

Our world cup hopes revolve around our big three (Baz, Kane and Ross), Ross needs to be more assertive and to look for more scoring options especially singles. If he doesn't pick his form up we have little chance. Our bowling and fielding units are in great form we just need to get the run's on the board and we'll go well. Guptill and Latham/Elliott contributing something would be handy.
I think it was a slow pitch and quick bowlers would have been easier to handle than slower ones. They tried to go after Vettori but he still ended up with economical figures. Pity we didn't have any dibbly dobbly bowlers like Astle and Styris of yesteryear.