• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

vandem

International 12th Man
Wonder why we throw away home pitch advantage?

Just noticed that NZ play Bangladesh on this ground in the WC, yikes!

viriya

International Captain
Wonder why we throw away home pitch advantage?

Just noticed that NZ play Bangladesh on this ground in the WC, yikes!
That can be dangerous.. you can count on a phalanx of slow bowlers, if Shakib does a special and NZ have an off-day you never know.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Learned a few valuable lessons today. Vettori is first choice spinner still and henry is better than boult.

jcas0167

International Debutant
. It was a 290-300 wicket, some of the bowlers bowled really well and they will be better for the experience. But against a player like Dilshan in that form, it can be daunting. Everyone knows it's tough on Henry and Neesham, but we can only have 15. But it's a good experience and with three weeks left, they might still be included in the World Cup. Frustrating that I was dismissed before the powerplay, and not being able to set up a good total"
Maybe having some second thoughts? Tough on Watling too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, there was nothing wrong with this pitch. It wasn't particularly slow, as the SL batsmen played plenty of drives and cuts successfully.

We bowled way too short.

jcas0167

International Debutant
All doom and gloom at cricinfo, gezz one bad game and our "fans" have turned already.
Some interesting contributions, including a call for Munro to be in the test team, interspersed with sensible suggestions about the need for Taylor to get more singles. This poster might have nailed it with his suggested bowling attack:

POSTED BY SamRoy on | January 15, 2015, 8:37 GMT

Matt Henry needs to find a miraculous way in the WC 15 ahead of Boult, Mills and Milne otherwise a Semi-Final loss again for NZ. Any way, the more Matt Henry plays in the series the more it will be evident. Fabulous bowler. Kyle Mills is best as a drinks carrier to provide valuable advice. Ideal NZ bowling attack is Vettori, Southee, Henry and McClenaghan and some overs from Corey Anderson and Kane Williamson.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what bowler picks up an 'injury' to get Henry into the team? Mills, Milne or Mitch?
Boult....but I can only assume he's in your top 2 along with Southee given you haven't even provided him as an option above.

You are aware Boult averages 49.40 right or is that some strange statistical conspiracy? Mitch and Mills get their wickets at HALF the number of runs.

The only one there's any argument to have Boult over would be Milne, but at least Milne's improved on his career numbers in the last 12 months & is our one genuine speedster.

I get that you like Boult for whatever personal reasons, but at least concede he's looking rather ordinary in the colour clothing atm.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Was hoping for Boult to be a wicket taker up front myself, will give him a couple more games before I change my mind on him. But it is looking more and more like it was a bad call from the selectors.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I run the risk of sounding like Blocky but I think Boult's attributes that make him so good in test matches mean he will always find ODIs harder. Skiddy quickish swing bowlers who bowl aggressive lengths take longer to give returns on investing in them than guys who hit the deck hard like the rest of our pace attack. Even when Jimmy Franklin was a good test bowler he was rubbish at ODIs because of his attributes, and Dale Steyn (who is a bit different to Boult but also shares some problems) took a long time to get to grips with ODIs.

Mitch M and Mills have far less going for them as good bowlers in the classical test match sense than Boult but they both bowl into the wicket and it covers a few of their flaws imo.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All doom and gloom at cricinfo, gezz one bad game and our "fans" have turned already.
Tbf, it's not just simplistically that we had one bad game that concerns me, it's that so many of our players made the same mental error one after the other while under pressure.

The fact that we've shown a propensity to mentally disintegrate like that (and I don't think that's overplaying it) is concerning. Remember these were pure mental lapses & nothing to do with being slightly unlucky.

Of course I hope it's no big deal and they just learn from it, but I'd be lying if I said it what happened doesn't concern me in the slightest since it's effectively a warm-up game.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm not too worried about it, although it did cost us the match on this occasion.

I'm expecting Henry to outbowl Boult and Milne throughout this series. He was a class above them both today.