• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't mind seeing us experiment in this series with playing the extra bowler.

So, Anderson 5, Ronchi 6, NcCullum 7.

Just to see what happens.

Yeah I've been against this, but the more time goes on, the more it looks like it might be a good idea. Nathan McCullum scored a ton batting six in a List A game, then saw the side home with the bat and bowled excellently in the first ODI; Latham keeps failing to make a mark as a middle order ODI batsman; Elliott played the worst innings of all time and wasn't trusted to bowl; and Corey Anderson's role as fifth bowler is increasingly being targeted but he played a mature, measured innings that put his name forward for the #5 spot.

New Zealand really need to learn two things from this series:

1. Best fast bowling combination
2. Who bats number 5

So as far as the batting goes, giving Elliott, Latham and Nathan McCullum as much time to make a case as possible (and I suppose Anderson in innings-building situations too) should be the main focus.

GGG

State Captain
Yeah I would like to see Guptil, McCullum, Williamson, Taylor, Anderson, Ronchi, N McCullum, Vettori ...... for a game..

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Yeh Herath at 7:cool:Righto.

I would go Perara or Jeevan,but Jeevan actually is a batsmen.I don't rate the consistency of Perara at 7.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeh Herath at 7:cool:Righto.
Haha "replace Jeevan with Herath" doesn't mean Herath has to bat in that position; it just means he'd replace him in that eleven. Given Perera was at 8 and Kula was at 9 originally, I think they've got it covered if they make that change.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
I know trying to be humerous as always.:D
I forgot Kalu can bat,that depends on how is bowling,if he has recovered from poor form.
If not long tail complex on bouncy pitches.I know Perara doesn't like bouncers.:wacko:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I've been against this, but the more time goes on, the more it looks like it might be a good idea. Nathan McCullum scored a ton batting six in a List A game, then saw the side home with the bat and bowled excellently in the first ODI; Latham keeps failing to make a mark as a middle order ODI batsman; Elliott played the worst innings of all time and wasn't trusted to bowl; and Corey Anderson's role as fifth bowler is increasingly being targeted but he played a mature, measured innings that put his name forward for the #5 spot.

New Zealand really need to learn two things from this series:

1. Best fast bowling combination
2. Who bats number 5

So as far as the batting goes, giving Elliott, Latham and Nathan McCullum as much time to make a case as possible (and I suppose Anderson in innings-building situations too) should be the main focus.
My problem with Anderson batting at 5, is that without Neesham in the squad, he's basically been given the job of director of the batting's icing division. If he were to bat at 5, and NZ were to play Ronchi, NcCullum and Vettori at 6,7 and 8, then that leaves NZ potentially short on true firepower in the last 15 overs (especially given that Anderson's style of play will always make him a vulnerable starter).

Flem274*

123/5
I'd prefer perseverance with Elliott and Latham. The team is so much better if we can make the below work.

5. Elliott (6)/Latham
6. Anderson (5)
7. Ronchi (wk)
8. Vettori (4)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I would like to see Guptil, McCullum, Williamson, Taylor, Anderson, Ronchi, N McCullum, Vettori ...... for a game..
I proposed this a month ago for the world cup team itself but certainly agree trying it out for one game out of 7 game series makes an immense amount of sense to see what happens.

I'd prefer perseverance with Elliott and Latham. The team is so much better if we can make the below work.

5. Elliott (6)/Latham
6. Anderson (5)
7. Ronchi (wk)
8. Vettori (4)
We've got 7 games here. It is ok to have a tittoo (PEWS not to know that word) in one of them. Lets make the most of this series.

GGG

State Captain
And who are we going to bat at 3 for the next few games? Latham to open, Taylor 3 and McCullum 4?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

5. Elliott (6)/Latham
6. Anderson (5)
7. Ronchi (wk)
8. Vettori (4)
Yeah I do agree; I still prefer this. The case for Nathan McCullum to bat seven is a lot stronger than it was a few weeks ago though.

BeeGee

International Captain
And who are we going to bat at 3 for the next few games? Latham to open, Taylor 3 and McCullum 4?

Why would McCullum move to 4? Latham replaces Williamson at 3, everyone else stays in their normal position (Elliot stays at 5).

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I am very uncertain of the spelling too.
Edit: Most likely candidate is tutu - macron over the second u. It kinda means to be cheeky.

There are a few other candidates though. E.g. Titoi - to masturbate.

Probably a bit of an amalgamation.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not buying Latham. He's played 21 innings, and only one of them has been of any real quality - and it was a 23-over game. I don't want him anywhere near our best XI.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not buying Latham. He's played 21 innings, and only one of them has been of any real quality - and it was a 23-over game. I don't want him anywhere near our best XI.
Who would you prefer? There doesn't seem to be anyone else and Latham has the look of a quality batsman.

I could perhaps see Munro at 5 but it feels like a bit too much icing.