• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
irfan said:
aaargh

why open with pathan? i thought greg chappell's experimentation was only limited to ODI's - i don't see the point of really pushing for pathan to open, its not his natural game and he's be better served in the lower order acting as a foil to the middle order batsman and attacking when the need arises. Pathan's got enuff on his plate already
Hurts, don`t it? :D

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
And for the record, I hearby proclaim Bandara as the all-rounder of the future. An absolutely wonderful leg-spinner, he will be a star.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nnanden said:
Hurts, don`t it? :D
Oh I bet it does. Humble pie I bet. :D

Go Pathan! I still remember the reactions from various posters (who had barely seen anything of Pathan) when people said he had batting potential after the VB Series in 2003/04, and all-round potential after Australia toured India in 2004 for the test series.

This is great. :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
And for the record, I hearby proclaim Bandara as the all-rounder of the future. An absolutely wonderful leg-spinner, he will be a star.
Brave words considering his batting average currently stands at 0.50 !! :D :D

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Jono said:
Oh I bet it does. Humble pie I bet. :D

Go Pathan! I still remember the reactions from various posters (who had barely seen anything of Pathan) when people said he had batting potential after the VB Series in 2003/04, and all-round potential after Australia toured India in 2004 for the test series.

This is great. :)
Yeah, I remember that 70 odd he made in one of the VB matches. Seemed equally comfortable on front or back foot, flayed us every he did :-O

R_D

International Debutant
Pathan Cracks Murali for 2 fours and he's into the 90's. Comon go get that 100 :D
8 runs to go.

R_D

International Debutant
lol what are chances of that ? :P
if he can survive today and whole day tomarrow... we might just get a 300 ball century from Gangs :p

irfan

State Captain
lol pathan experiment worked - so dissappointed he didnt get a century. I am currently devouring humble pies as jono suggested but this tactic won't work in the long term IMO.

gettin ready for my next slice of pie

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
irfan said:
lol pathan experiment worked - so dissappointed he didnt get a century. I am currently devouring humble pies as jono suggested but this tactic won't work in the long term IMO.

gettin ready for my next slice of pie
I doubt he'll be opening in the long term anyway. He'll be back to no.8 when Sehwag is back.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Wow, great effort from Pathan - certainly seems in fantastic nick with the bat. Nice to see something a little unorthodox from India paying off. Well done to the lad.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
First of all, I would like to compliment ZEE Sports for their highlights package. This was something we wouldn't expect of Poordarshan, where we got a full replay in the middle of the night. I just returned home and watching the package, I felt I missed nothing.

As a fan of fast bowling, I am a bit concerned about Dilhara Fernando. When I first saw him in action, he was bowling at over 140 consistently, amking life torrid for the touring Indians in 2001. He even developed a good slower delivery and was an effective striker for Lanka, with a very good strike rate, but now he's just bowling rubbish. It's all brawn and no brain here. So many diagonal deliveries were bowled. Not to mention so many no-balls. The ball he bowled to get Irfan out, however, was very good. Hopefully he'll sort his act out and get back his pace, before the Lankan selectors drop him.

Speaking of Irfan, he's opened up a new option here. While many are still skeptical of his batting, the team doesn't need him to score big hundreds. They need him to strike. He's played the role of striker very well. Even if he doesn't get massive scores like Sachin or Dravid or the unfortunate wicketkeeper are expected to, the rapid score serves a purpose. He doesn't need to be India's Flintoff– he doesn't have to be a batting mainstay here, just a striker (who enjoys attacking strike bowlers), and he's definitely better than Jacob Oram. Opening the innings with Irfan again isn't something we need to see, but they can definitely sneak in an all-rounder like Joginder or even a fifth bowler in the near future, against Pakistan or England. Talk of this affecting his bowling is laughable– it didn't affect Cairns, did it? Even Irfan did well with the ball, taking 3 wickets for not too many.

Sangakkara has to be the most over-rated wicketkeeper around. Clearly, the dropped catch and the extra byes are typical of a batsman slotted as a wicketkeeper, but they're compelled to persist with him since it has never backfired as much as it did for India with Dravid as keeper– and that was only in ODI's. But still, he's not perfect and the batting side always has a chance. The slip fielders were not too good, and a few catches were missed from close-in positions as well.

Good for Dravid to reach his 8000 Test runs, and Vaas to get 300 Test wickets, but mere statistics don't tell how much these two have contributed for their teams. They've shouldered major responsibilites for batting as well as bowling, they've been overshadowed by more illustrious performers (Tendulkar and Murali), but they've done what the team needs from them, and they've done well.