• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

I sincerely hopes that SL wins the next two ODI, i really don't want too see India winning the series 7-0, such onesided results would seriously affect the popularity of ODI.

SL has been playing bad cricket lately, if they can't even win two games out of seven, then they are practially useless!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Agree in toto .

Also he needs to understand that he is not doing well and a hundred against minnows is not an occasion to throw punches towards the dressing room and mouth foul Punjabi abuses. He is not just in bad form he has lost supporters by THIS bad form including in his home association who had to tell him (and Harbhajan) to shut up and behave.

Not that good behaviour is mandatory only from those out of form :sleep:
Compare that with the Central Zone players. They are all relatively quiet and just go about their job. They do what they're asked to do, without too much of a fuss ("The ball will get eaten by a crow if I flight it", "I am a bowler and not an all-rounder", "Chappell is a dictator and sleeps during matches") and perform well as a combination, not as individuals. That's reason enough to pick more from that zone. Players from that zone serve different unfulfilled roles far better than all the stars from the supposedly stronger roles.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
vandemataram said:
I sincerely hopes that SL wins the next two ODI, i really don't want too see India winning the series 7-0, such onesided results would seriously affect the popularity of ODI.

SL has been playing bad cricket lately, if they can't even win two games out of seven, then they are practially useless!
Past their "best before" date.

yohanna

Banned
vandemataram said:

Since i'm not watching it, lemme guess, either India is playing absolutely fantastic cricket, or Lankans playing lowsy cricket or perhaps its a bit of both.

A 7-0 result would be really bad, Lankans would be disgraced, and a question that would be asked would be "why in the first place the two teams were sceduled to play a long & meaningless 7 ODI series ??"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
vandemataram said:
Erm NO, SL played pretty well in last 2 games but the Indian youngsters played better. And no I dont want SL to win any of the matches,,but who cares we won the series and I would like some more youngsters to get a chance to perform even at the cost of losing a game or two.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Compare that with the Central Zone players. They are all relatively quiet and just go about their job. They do what they're asked to do, without too much of a fuss ("The ball will get eaten by a crow if I flight it", "I am a bowler and not an all-rounder", "Chappell is a dictator and sleeps during matches") and perform well as a combination, not as individuals. That's reason enough to pick more from that zone. Players from that zone serve different unfulfilled roles far better than all the stars from the supposedly stronger roles.
Pardon my ignorance but who are these Central Zone players and how well have they performed in the deomestic circuit ?

nehrafan

Banned
yohanna said:
Since i'm not watching it, lemme guess, either India is playing absolutely fantastic cricket, or Lankans playing lowsy cricket or perhaps its a bit of both.

I would say its a bit of both. India has played brilliantly in the absence of Ganguly (who wasn't missed atall :p ) and SL looked like a pale team led by a poor captain.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
Pardon my ignorance but who are these Central Zone players and how well have they performed in the deomestic circuit ?
  • JP Yadav- Dominated the last season with bat and ball
  • RP Singh- Nippy seamer who can move the ball off the pitch; impressed last season with 34 wickets in 6 matches
  • Suresh Raina- Averages over 50 in OD's, runs hard, fantastic fielder
  • Kulamani Parida- Hard-working off-spinner, often ignored, rated highly by former players who have seen him
  • Mohammed Kaif- We know why
  • Praveen Gupta- Young, inexperienced, yet talented left-arm spinner, and a better fielder than the more experienced Karthik.
  • Amit Pagnis- Part of an effective opening combination, scores quickly yet can build large partnerships, though big scores often eluded him.
  • Sanjay Bangar- The other half of the opening combination, he can either stick it ot there for long or blast the bowling, and as a medium-pacer, provides good support to the frontliners
All are ready for the ODI side.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
  • JP Yadav- Dominated the last season with bat and ball
  • RP Singh- Nippy seamer who can move the ball off the pitch; impressed last season with 34 wickets in 6 matches
  • Suresh Raina- Averages over 50 in OD's, runs hard, fantastic fielder
  • Kulamani Parida- Hard-working off-spinner, often ignored, rated highly by former players who have seen him
  • Mohammed Kaif- We know why
  • Praveen Gupta- Young, inexperienced, yet talented left-arm spinner, and a better fielder than the more experienced Karthik.
  • Amit Pagnis- Part of an effective opening combination, scores quickly yet can build large partnerships, though big scores often eluded him.
  • Sanjay Bangar- The other half of the opening combination, he can either stick it ot there for long or blast the bowling, and as a medium-pacer, provides good support to the frontliners
All are ready for the ODI side.
Okay I thought that UP came under North Zone..as most of the players(Raina, Yadav, Kaif, RP Singh) are from UP and they are already in the team. And you have missed the most important name 'Piyush Chawla'. ;) Bangar has already played for India, Murali Kartik already plays for India ?

Anyways, isn't it a huge generilization on your part ?

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Kaif can easily replace Yuvraj, he is a better batsman, can bat anywhere from 3-7, better fielder and most importantly has been performing very well this year compared to Yuvraj who has really feasted on minnows. I definately dont want Raina, Rao etc to make way for Kaif because these guys are new, they did well in the one chance they got to perform, they need to be persisted with and If we go by what Dravid said about them, they aren't going anywhere. Also, it is possible that Kaif will come into the team in place of J P yadav, who doesn't really fit the allrounder role India has been looking for.

And for gods sake cant we forget Nehra and Zaheer they are too inconsistent to be considered in our plan for the WC 2007?

Also, I agree that SRT should be rested and Gambhir should be given a chance to open. If he does well then there will be competition for opener's slot (since Sehwag hasn't been consistent and now that Ganguly is gone, there isn't really any threat to his place unless).
Agree with you on most points there, except for the case of Zaheer and Nehra. Nehra has been quite solid in ODIs for India in the past few series, probably averaging in the low 20s. Zaheer has been very inconsistent as of late though. Both have poor fitness, which is the bigger concern. If the Chappell regime can get the best out of these two and improve their fitness, they can be solid options. Nehra has done well this year, and Zaheer is doing well in the Duleep Trophy. Perhaps being dropped will make him perform consistently.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
I totally agree Arjun.

Also look at Railways. What a remarkable group of unremarkable individuals. Completely ignored by Indian selectors for long. Chappell was really impressed when he met these fellows in the Irani Trophy Match.

By the way, did Harbhajan say all that you quoted ?? Very funny but typical.

adharcric

International Coach
Some other issues for the one-day squad:

-Murali Kartik got another opportunity as the 2nd spinner here, but there is a far more deserving man in Ramesh Powar. He's been picking up 6-7 wickets a match for a while now, and his batting and fielding is solid as well, as seen in the past. Kartik is far too inconsistent in ODIs. Ramesh Powar, Amit Mishra and Piyush Chawla (too early perhaps) are the three that interest me the most.

-RP Singh isn't doing anything despite being in the squad. India needs to play him soon. That way, if he does well he'll merit being retained in the squad. If he doesn't, he'll be replaced by someone else, be it Zaheer, Nehra, VRV Singh, etc.

-JP Yadav has shown signs of good value as an all-rounder, but he's been wayward at times, which is completely unacceptable because his role in the team is to bowl tight, and by tight i mean at least 9 out of 10 deliveries should be on good line and length. He's not threatening any batsman with his pace, so he better not bowl wayward and give up more than 4 runs an over. His batting hasn't exactly been tested either. Still, he's partially solved India's 5th bowler woes so far. Guys like Raina and Rao also need to be given the ball, at least in practice. If India can develop more legitimate part-timers (not like yuvraj and sachin, who can be great on the rare occasion but can also get thrashed), Yadav might be expendable.

-With Kaif returning, the lineup will look solid:
1. Sehwag 2. Tendulkar 3. Kaif 4. Dravid 5. Rao/Yuvraj/Raina 6. Dhoni 7. Yadav 8. Pathan 9. Agarkar 10. Harbhajan 11. Sreesanth/??? 12. Rao/Yuvraj/Raina
??? will be RP Singh (if he is played and performs very well) or his replacement pace bowler (Zaheer/Nehra/VRV?) or a spinner (Kartik, preferably Powar)

This would imply that Gambhir is dropped, unless he opens in the next match and delivers big-time, in which case Yuvraj or Yadav should be on the hot seat. Yuvraj hasnt performed, but as honestbharani said, it does seem like he keeps getting bad breaks, he should be given a few more chances in my opinion. Yadav also has been decent, no need to disrupt the rhythm the Indian bowling attack has developed.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
-With Kaif returning, the lineup will look solid:
1. Sehwag 2. Tendulkar 3. Kaif 4. Dravid 5. Rao/Yuvraj/Raina 6. Dhoni 7. Yadav 8. Pathan 9. Agarkar 10. Harbhajan 11. Sreesanth/??? 12. Rao/Yuvraj/Raina
??? will be RP Singh (if he is played and performs very well) or his replacement pace bowler (Zaheer/Nehra/VRV?) or a spinner (Kartik, preferably Powar)

Looks good. I am tempted to offer an alternative. :)
  1. Tendulkar
  2. Gambhir
  3. Kaif
  4. Dravid
  5. Sehwag
  6. Yuvraj/Rao/Raina
  7. Dhoni
  8. Pathan
  9. Agarkar
  10. Harbhajan
  11. SreeSanth
  12. Powar/Yadav

Just for the sake of giving another option really :p

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
By the way, did Harbhajan say all that you quoted ?? Very funny but typical.
In this order-
  1. Harbhajan was often advised to flight the ball, but was reluctant
  2. That's a common excuse for both Agarkar and Irfan (maybe Irfan is faking it)
  3. That 'sleepy' part was spoken by Ganguly

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
  1. Tendulkar
  2. Gambhir
  3. Kaif
  4. Dravid
  5. Sehwag
  6. Yuvraj/Rao/Raina
  7. Dhoni
  8. Pathan
  9. Agarkar
  10. Harbhajan
  11. SreeSanth
  12. Powar/Yadav

I like the idea of Gambhir in the team opening and Sehwag in the middle order, but what happens with the 5th bowler. With Yadav or Powar as super-sub, they'd obviously take that role but what if we bowl first? Do we sub Yadav/Powar on to replace a batsman? Or do we only sub them on if a bowler isn't bowling well? Still good ideas for the team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
JP Yadav has shown signs of good value as an all-rounder, but he's been wayward at times, which is completely unacceptable because his role in the team is to bowl tight, and by tight i mean at least 9 out of 10 deliveries should be on good line and length. He's not threatening any batsman with his pace, so he better not bowl wayward and give up more than 4 runs an over. His batting hasn't exactly been tested either. Still, he's partially solved India's 5th bowler woes so far. Guys like Raina and Rao also need to be given the ball, at least in practice. If India can develop more legitimate part-timers (not like yuvraj and sachin, who can be great on the rare occasion but can also get thrashed), Yadav might be expendable.
Yadav plays as a full-fledged strike bowler, but here, he's just been used as a stock bowler, so it's a step down. Maybe it's lack of pace, but if you've seen him bowl, you would notice he's no ordinary up-and-down medium-pacer. He tries out more than a few tricks at odd times- in-cutters, outswingers, deliveries that dart straight up, or charge straight ahead, or even a bouncer. He'd be quite good with the new ball, if he adds a little more pace, at least as much as Abdul Razzaq or Jacob Oram, but he's struggling as a support bowler. If this is the kind of all-rounder they wanted, Sanjay Bangar or Reetinder Sodhi would be better choices, since they're primarily support bowlers for their teams' strikers. However, you cannot replace a full-timer like Yadav, who does the job of a strike/stock bowler, with a bunch of part-timers who try their luck with utter rubbish- that's a sure-shot recipe for disaster. The ideal replacement should be another all-rounder, so until Yusuf Pathan, Joginder Sharma and Praveen Kumar improve, the team will have to stick to JP Yadav.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
I like the idea of Gambhir in the team opening and Sehwag in the middle order, but what happens with the 5th bowler. With Yadav or Powar as super-sub, they'd obviously take that role but what if we bowl first? Do we sub Yadav/Powar on to replace a batsman? Or do we only sub them on if a bowler isn't bowling well? Still good ideas for the team.
Thats a risk you always take in the Super Sub. You can never have it perfect with the rules as they are today.

I think having a bits and pieces player who is a good fielder helps because he can be used in both situations.

I would expect that besides the four main bowlers (SreeSanth, Agarkar, Pathan, Harbhajan), you would have used Yuvraj/Raina(unlass Venu was played, Sehwag and Tendulkar. Then you could have bowled out one of the bowlers, maybe Harbhajan, and replace him with the SS who could bowl a few overs if required and bat when chasing.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder how this would work out, assuming Kaif and maybe Nehra return
  • Sehwag <super-sub Yuvraj if fielding second>
  • Gambhir
  • Kaif
  • Tendulkar
  • Dravid
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Yadav (RM-new)
  • Irfan (RM-new)
  • Harbhajan (OB)
  • NEhra/RP Singh (LMF/LFM-change)
  • Sreesanth (RFM-new)
The idea of Yadav bowling with the new ball may sound strange, but for a very long time, we've seen one Venkatesh Prasad open the bowling in Tests and form a good combination with Srinath, and become one of India's best ODI bowlers, only recently surpassed by Agarkar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
  1. Tendulkar
  2. Gambhir
  3. Kaif
  4. Dravid
  5. Sehwag
  6. Yuvraj/Rao/Raina
  7. Dhoni
  8. Pathan
  9. Agarkar
  10. Harbhajan
  11. SreeSanth
  12. Powar/Yadav

I like that side, SJS, but it needs a bit of fine tuning. I think this combination of the same players looks better, atleast on paper.

Tendulkar
Gambhir
Kaif
Dravid
Sehwag
Yuvraj/Rao/Raina
Dhoni
Pathan
Agarkar
Harbhajan
Powar/yadav
Sree Santh

Salamuddin

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
I like that side, SJS, but it needs a bit of fine tuning. I think this combination of the same players looks better, atleast on paper.

Tendulkar
Gambhir
Kaif
Dravid
Sehwag
Yuvraj/Rao/Raina
Dhoni
Pathan
Agarkar
Harbhajan
Powar/yadav
Sree Santh
HB, how about the Haryana duo of Joginder Sharma and AMit Mishra ? Do you see them as ODI prospects ? Still a bit unconvinced about Murali Kartik.......