• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

adharcric

International Coach
Poor Vandort. Mubarak probably stole his only chance now that Jayasuriya might return for the 2nd test.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The python was class today, thankfully we'll never see Udal for England again8-)

Glad the Sri Lankans have put up more of a fight today, they've got world-class players in Vaas, Muralitharan, Jayawardene and Sangakarra. Tharanga looks decent as well, so this match and series shouldn't be as one-sided as it was looking for two days!!

And they'll tonk us in the one-dayers:wacko:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Instinct is that it'll probably be a case of chase and win in the ODIs - SL don't have the bowling to tie us down, we have no ODI gameplan in the field, and batting against a white ball in the morning is about as much as zorbing down the North Face of the Eiger anyway.

Lostman

State Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Instinct is that it'll probably be a case of chase and win in the ODIs - SL don't have the bowling to tie us down, we have no ODI gameplan in the field, and batting against a white ball in the morning is about as much as zorbing down the North Face of the Eiger anyway.
SL actually do have a good bowling attack, but they picked a very defensive and negative attack for this game. tried to cover their batting weakness by doing this. when murali, vaas, bandara and malinga play i think its the best possible bowling attack.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
SL have better bowling attack than India (when not playing @ home). :)
We'll find out for sure within the next month. One team is going downhill and the other uphill, more or less.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
We'll find out for sure within the next month. One team is going downhill and the other uphill, more or less.
India are going to England next month ?

adharcric

International Coach
dinu23 said:
we'll probably go with two spinners for the OD series. thats where our strength is.
Maharoof needs to bowl better because right now he's only in the test side for his "all-round" ability. Malinga might have provided a real spark to this lackluster (bar Murali) attack.
Bandara should be playing in tests but not in ODIs as Lokuaracchi, Dilshan and Jayasuriya are there.

One-Day Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Dilshan, Lokuarachchi, Kapugedera, Maharoof, Vaas, Muralitharan, Malinga
Test Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Dilshan, Kapugedera/Maharoof, Vaas, Bandara, Muralitharan, Malinga

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
There ya go Jason, something finally went your way.

Unlucky monster
If you are referring to the Tharanga shout which Dar declined - that did too much and hit Tharanga on the back foot in front of leg stump (as he came forward) heading to miss leg .
Which is what Dar explained after declining . That was hardly close to be considered a chance, IMO.

A bit like Gerraints shouts on and off when Maharoof and Mahela missed balls that went right through them in the first innings, when no one else bothered. Or the instance where he appealed for a catch trying to bluff the umpire into giving one off Maharoofs thigh pad (that went to the keeper with a noise off the back leg) during the first innings.

The Umps have been reasonable so far in the second innings, but I suspect they will revert to Day 1's performance today !!:)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Maharoof is at most an ODI bowler who can occasionally score 10-20 (which can be a 50 against Bangla and the likes) . Hence its extremely strange that he gets repeatedly selected to the Test Team over the likes of Malinga !!

Similarly Mubarak, IMO is not worthy of even ODI selection after messing up time after time and failing to show any potential despite so many opportunities thats given to him time after time , totally undeservedly.

The Clue IMO , lies in Sri Lanka's poilitics where the Mubaraks and Maharoofs are very important politically in Sri Lanka's (messed up) Politics and therefore get treated like Royalty . And there are people who push their cases thru powerful channels.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Monty Panesar is another brilliant find for England (obviously from the Indian tour). The amazing turn he seems to be generating and his beautiful action are exceptional viewing , albeit his fielding as someone has posted before. ( It was absolutely comical when he stopped a certain 4 and then picked the ball with his feet outside the ropes thus conceding a 4 without realising it !!:laugh: )

I suspect he may get a few more wickets today .

England's selectors have to be overjoyed at the amazing amount of depth of talent they seem to have unearthed so quickly . Something some of us in other countries can only dream of.

dinu23

International Debutant
adharcric said:
Maharoof needs to bowl better because right now he's only in the test side for his "all-round" ability. Malinga might have provided a real spark to this lackluster (bar Murali) attack.
Bandara should be playing in tests but not in ODIs as Lokuaracchi, Dilshan and Jayasuriya are there.

One-Day Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Dilshan, Lokuarachchi, Kapugedera, Maharoof, Vaas, Muralitharan, Malinga
Test Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Samaraweera, Dilshan, Kapugedera/Maharoof, Vaas, Bandara, Muralitharan, Malinga
I think Bandara will get the nod over Lakuarachchi for the one dayers.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
If you are referring to the Tharanga shout which Dar declined - that did too much and hit Tharanga on the back foot in front of leg stump (as he came forward) heading to miss leg .
Which is what Dar explained after declining . That was hardly close to be considered a chance, IMO.

A bit like Gerraints shouts on and off when Maharoof and Mahela missed balls that went right through them in the first innings, when no one else bothered. Or the instance where he appealed for a catch trying to bluff the umpire into giving one off Maharoofs thigh pad (that went to the keeper with a noise off the back leg) during the first innings.

The Umps have been reasonable so far in the second innings, but I suspect they will revert to Day 1's performance today !!:)
no i was referring to the inside edge bat pad that was turned down

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
dinu23 said:
I think Bandara will get the nod over Lakuarachchi for the one dayers.
I love that guy's name, and I'm looking forward to the day that GlaxoSmithKline employ him in one of their TV adverts....

"Does your name sound like you have another cold - or is it flu? One teaspoonful of Night Nurse before you go to bed and we'll soon have you back to 'Smith'"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sri Lanka playing v well this morning, hardly a false shot. Maharoof actually looks v solid with the bat.

Pitch still looks full of runs, I won't be at all surprised if we have to bat again now. New ball available v shortly which could be crucial, the old one hasn't reversed much (if at all) from what I've seen today.