• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Bangladesh 2014

YorksLanka

International Debutant
come on Tamim , what kinda shot is that?Yes i want SL to win but i also want Bangladesh to show some fight...

the big bambino

International Captain
The worst thing is Bangladesh aren't that bad a Test team, it is more a case of Sri Lanka excelling at facing the Banger style attack. Rubbish seamers and decent spin.

They're also brought up in a domestic scene where they manage to craft these big innings against exactly this type of bowling. No other team in the world would crush Bangladesh as badly as Sri Lanka and the fact they're the test team Bangladesh play the most really hampers their development in my opinion. They aren't just magically going to turn into a team that doesn't rely entirely on passably Test class spinners.
Robiul Islam is an exception surely? To be effective BD needs a pitch that at least gives Robiul a chance to break thru and have their good spinners follow up. This sort of pitch basically neuters Robiul and BD's potential effectiveness.

Riggins

International Captain
Cmon Mahela, get a 200! Havent seen a big 250+ score for a while and heres a chance...even if its against Bangladesh ;)

tbh Jayawardene when he retires will probs be up there with the Pontings/Tendulkars, what a gun!!
This is great.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Robiul Islam is an exception surely? To be effective BD needs a pitch that at least gives Robiul a chance to break thru and have their good spinners follow up. This sort of pitch basically neuters Robiul and BD's potential effectiveness.
I like more than just Robiul when it comes to Bangladesh seamers but that said, Robiul is a guy we look longingly upon in the hopes he will be Test class. The dream isn't that he'll excel it's more that he will prove he is worthy to be there.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Mushfiqur's glove work is still terrible it must be said. It seems to be getting worse and worse, and it would be nice if Tamim would try and knuckle down for his team.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
**** me, this must be up there with some of the most disappointing performances by Bangladesh in history.

Nice to see Dilruwan Perera come into the game though

Xuhaib

International Coach
and there were whispers on this board that current BD would give SLand Pak a run for their money.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
and there were whispers on this board that current BD would give SLand Pak a run for their money.
Bangladesh are definitely a big step below those teams because, as I said before, they combine the worst attributes of both. Pakistani batting and Sri Lankan bowling. If this match is anything to go by then they're in fact even worse than that but I think we'll see an improvement in the second Test.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congratulations to Sri Lanka on a crushing victory..I know people will say its only Bangladesh but we can only play the opposition in front of us and also, this was a pretty convincing win.Nice to see our youngsters chipping in with bat and ball as well as the established players...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations to Sri Lanka on a crushing victory..I know people will say its only Bangladesh but we can only play the opposition in front of us and also, this was a pretty convincing win.Nice to see our youngsters chipping in with bat and ball as well as the established players...
Hey, Bangladesh had - on the whole - the better of the two test series vs New Zealand. Bowling the deshi's out on their home town sandpits is no joke these days, so for Sri Lanka to do it so convincingly says good things for their bowling attack.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hey, Bangladesh had - on the whole - the better of the two test series vs New Zealand. Bowling the deshi's out on their home town sandpits is no joke these days, so for Sri Lanka to do it so convincingly says good things for their bowling attack.
Indeed. Wouldn't get too excited about anything the batsmen do on this tour but if the bowling attack can consistently roll Bangladesh for < 250 in Bangladesh then that's legitimately impressive; their batting lineup has become vaguely decent at home.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
tbf the pitch was taking more bounce and seam movement than most Bangladeshi pitches, and the overhead conditions assisted swing in the second innings apparently (didn't watch). But yeah, really exciting that we rolled them for under 250 (or equal to) twice and Herath only took 3 of those wickets.

Is PEWS re-thinking his stance that the Sri Lankan and Bangladesh bowling attack are on a similar level?

Challis

U19 12th Man
Indeed. Wouldn't get too excited about anything the batsmen do on this tour but if the bowling attack can consistently roll Bangladesh for < 250 in Bangladesh then that's legitimately impressive; their batting lineup has become vaguely decent at home.
Even then when you look deeper, this batting unit had a debutant opener and numbers 3 and 4 who had only played 2 and 5 Tests respectively. Given this inexperience at crucial batting slots it shouldn't be a great surprise with the odd batting collapse, even on such placid attacks.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i want to see Eranga, Pradeep and Lakmal stay fit for the England tour..I think that they will prove to be more of a handful than our quicks of the past. We will still get beaten in the tests but I want to see us compete and think these three will certainly help(if they can keep fit)

Last edited:

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Have to give credit where its due, Sri Lanka played exceptional Cricket and showed Bangladesh how to really play in tests. Bangladesh was not in test mode and simply played poor Cricket - batting, bowling and fielding. I was actually shocked that they didn't even put up a fight considering the good performances in past few years. Our team's batting in tests lacks serious temperament and poor shot selection. Many of our batsman cannot even handle the basics of bounce from the pacers. Even their technique and footwork is not that great. Bowling especially fast bowling - we lack serious pace and the pacers we do have are just so inconsistent. Unless these things somehow dramatically improve, Bangladesh will still remain the worst of test teams for a long time to come mainly due to a very poor first class structure.

But I still hold to view Bangladesh will be competitive from now on in limited overs.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Bangers still picking Rubel is such a joke. I mean three pacers and Rubel being one of them? What are the selectors smoking, if such people exist at all?
I'd have gladly taken Mullah for that spot, he's been getting a lot of wickets in FC lately.

Wonder if they whole ICC situation has gotten to their head, because fielding was downright abysmal and batting was seriously dire, it was as if they "old" BD showed up all of a sudden.