• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand

Craig

World Traveller
Well clearly they arent speaking to the NZRFU and the IRB about a change. Whether it was logicial I dont know.

My NZ side:

MH Richardson
MWH Papps
*SP Fleming
RA Jones/CL Cairns
CD McMillan
SB Styris
JPD Oram
+RG Hart
DL Vettori
DR Tuffey
IG Butler

Kyle Mills might come into consideration.

Mingster

State Regular
Mason will come into consideration before Kyle Mills.

Jones? He isn't scoring runs at domestic level so I can't see him getting another cap. Much better to pick someone like Fulton who is in form.

I would also like to see McCullum in the Test team to bolster the batting which would basically rule Cairns out of consideration for good! :D

mwhahahahaha....

Craig

World Traveller
Mingster said:
Judging by what?
I dont think is wicketkeeping is off Test standard just yet. He still makes some errors in his'keeping, still dropping vital catches.

Mingster

State Regular
Craig said:
I dont think is wicketkeeping is off Test standard just yet. He still makes some errors in his'keeping, still dropping vital catches.
He hasn't dropped more than 2 since teh WC.

cbuts

International Debutant
until cricket can seel out the stadium, its going to have to accept rugby is gona disrupt it. the sevens tournament has been that weekend for the past 5 years, and its gonna be fr the next three.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you can recall, Robbie Hart did drop 2 reasonably straight forward catches in the 2nd test against India at Mohali.

McCullum seems to have improved his catching, but some of his ground fielding is a little ragged at times.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is New Zealand choosing between the lesser of the two evils? Are there only two wicketkeepers in New Zealand?

Why is it that McCullum (who's not the best of catchers) is the only one being considered to replace Hart (who seems to gone down the same path - was quite good a couple of years ago though)?

The reasons I'm hearing for McCullum replacing Hart in Tests is that he's a better batsman and it doesn't really matter that he's not a very good 'keeper, neither is Hart. That's silly IMO. I would pick someone who can catch the ball first and score runs after, especially with a good bowling attack like New Zealand.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The other possibility could be Michael Papps, but I don't want to see NZ give an opener the role of keeping in test matches.

I think NZ are committed with McCullum now, he's got potential & they've invested alot of time into him so really he should be the next test keeper.
Fielding can be improved & he's already shown recently that at least his catching is starting to get up to scratch.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Well clearly they arent speaking to the NZRFU and the IRB about a change.
I think that's 'cause they know the NZRFU's response would be a big middle finger... :rolleyes:

Mingster

State Regular
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why is New Zealand choosing between the lesser of the two evils? Are there only two wicketkeepers in New Zealand?

Why is it that McCullum (who's not the best of catchers) is the only one being considered to replace Hart (who seems to gone down the same path - was quite good a couple of years ago though)?

The reasons I'm hearing for McCullum replacing Hart in Tests is that he's a better batsman and it doesn't really matter that he's not a very good 'keeper, neither is Hart. That's silly IMO. I would pick someone who can catch the ball first and score runs after, especially with a good bowling attack like New Zealand.
Well obviously that is not the only reason. We have been naming others as well.

McCullum is upto Hart's stage now, if you have watched him this year and for the last half of last year, he has made a some strides into his keeping. Like I said, he has taken nearly all of his chances offered.

Michael Papps is a partime keeper, he won't do for us in Tests.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

And what old mate Ridley hasnt dropped a catch?

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand and Chris Cairns have bowled well.

South Africa 234/8.

Smith 80, out to a outside edge to 3rd man while trying to slog over mid wicket.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
This made me laugh... (the last ball)

45.1 Nel to Cairns, SIX, MAX!all over!fuller length delivery outside
the off stump, lofted back over the bowlers head

As if loosing the game wasnt bad enough...:lol: