• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ah, it's a thin line between positive and positively stupid. :)

Mr. Smith would not have been congratulated for being 'an attacking and innovative captain'. He would have been labelled as lucky (almost as much as Mr. Peterson) and Lara would have been criticized for bad captaincy.
Ah well.. who knows.. I think there is an argument for keeping the field in when there are runs to play with, thats all...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Ah well.. who knows.. I think there is an argument for keeping the field in when there are runs to play with, thats all...
That's because you're not Robin Peterson. :P

Mingster

State Regular
That Peterson....he blatantly chucked twice in the 30th over.

Look at it again, it was so obvious, a flick in his arm.

Look at the reply on Sky Sports 2 today.

Craig

World Traveller
I expect Adams to get carted as well. Well all know the result if he bowls his regular full toss' to McMillan and Styris, and it wont be a defensive block or getting caught on the boundary.

It would be ten rows back and the umpire signalling six. Maybe now people will see how crap he is.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Mingster said:
That Peterson....he blatantly chucked twice in the 30th over.

Look at it again, it was so obvious, a flick in his arm.

Look at the reply on Sky Sports 2 today.
From http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sports/sp...section=cricket&thesecondsubsection=blackcaps

FAR be it for me to start a chucking controversy, but I'll swear on a stack of Wisdens that South African spinner Robin Peterson biffed at least one delivery against the Black Caps.
Not that he is alone in this. There are a few characters in world cricket who are chuckers - if only now and then.
The particular delivery of left-armer Peterson's that I would point to occurred in the 30th over of New Zealand's innings, the final of his initial six-over spell.
It was delivered with such a flick of the elbow that there was simply no doubt to these eyes about its illegality.
An earlier delivery to Styris, which Peterson dropped short, putting the batsman into a tangle, also looked suspicious.
I didn't see it, but this guy obviously agrees with you...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ah, the good old "untrained eye"

I bet if Murali were there his name would be dragged into the mud (again)

I find it interesting that there's been no reporting of this action if he has chucked it, and even if hes reported, it's still no proof until people who know what they're talking about (the scientists) have a look.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
I expect Adams to get carted as well. Well all know the result if he bowls his regular full toss' to McMillan and Styris, and it wont be a defensive block or getting caught on the boundary.

It would be ten rows back and the umpire signalling six. Maybe now people will see how crap he is.
Adams is not crap.

Craig

World Traveller
Well he's certainly not up to Test standard IMO.

He bowls far too many full toss, bowls some good balls, but bowls quite a few bad balls.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Ah, the good old "untrained eye"

I bet if Murali were there his name would be dragged into the mud (again)

I find it interesting that there's been no reporting of this action if he has chucked it, and even if hes reported, it's still no proof until people who know what they're talking about (the scientists) have a look.

I dont he has had enough international exposure to be called into question, especially if he only does it a couple of times...

Anyway if thats a way of getting him out of the squad, then so be it :)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Something HAS to be done about Eden Park though. I can't remember the last time Eden Park had a decent pitch.

Today's pitch was dreadful to say the least, and was a great example as to why NZ don't doctor their pitches to make them slow & low because as we saw, they can't bat on them.
Absolutely! Another thing about Eden Park is it's shape - where else on earth is cricket played on a nonagon?

Also, I was at the Bowie concert at Westpac Stadium last night - if there was a pitch being prepared (and I couldn't see one), then the mixing desk was sat right on top of it! With all this crappy weather I don't know how they're going to get a pitch ready by Friday. :(

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hard Harry said:
Absolutely! Another thing about Eden Park is it's shape - where else on earth is cricket played on a nonagon?

Also, I was at the Bowie concert at Westpac Stadium last night - if there was a pitch being prepared (and I couldn't see one), then the mixing desk was sat right on top of it! With all this crappy weather I don't know how they're going to get a pitch ready by Friday. :(
I thought Eden Park was a rectangle.... It certainly is unique anyway....

Kent

State 12th Man
The problem with Eden Park is that if it does ever have a great deck, 400 might be on. I'm sure some fans would love the thought of that, but all the smears for undeserving 6's would give the bowler in me a migraine. :)

Tim said:
There is no doubt that Peterson will be the target for some tap in this series.
I may have missed something, but why won't Boje take Peterson's place? Fitness? politics?

Last edited:

Kent

State 12th Man
Two days after the first game, I'm surprised how hard a lot of media and fans have come down on NZ for being semi-competitive and losing.

I know people hate to be seen accepting mediocrity, but beating ourselves up about the results will only create a negative frame of mind heading into the English tour the way I see it.

Option 110 NZ v SA-13/02/04 NZ High Bat 13 Feb 04
4 S Styris Closing Odds $5.50

Option 111 NZ v SA-13/02/04 Most Runs-Marshall/Fleming 13 Feb 04
2 S Fleming Closing Odds $1.70

I'm not a great punter, but whoever set Option 111's odds surely wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw!

Last edited:

Mingster

State Regular
Craig said:
Well he's certainly not up to Test standard IMO.

He bowls far too many full toss, bowls some good balls, but bowls quite a few bad balls.
He would be OK in Tests as you won't get punished as much for your erratic bowling.

Adams did well in his only test.

Craig

World Traveller
Hard Harry said:

Well I hope the pitch doesnt get ruined.

Why schelude something that might get affected by a concert?

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Well I hope the pitch doesnt get ruined.

Why schelude something that might get affected by a concert?
I don't think NZ cricket had a lot of choice - even if Wellington had hosted the first game it still would have been a dodgy pitch because of the blasted sevens tournament that was played the week before.