• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

Nishant

International 12th Man
Yes, they are.
so you think that Dravid has done well then? if the answer to do this is no....then quite clearly, his scores are nt good enough either. Thats what i meant.

as for Ret's comment; i kno he's in the squad...which is what he deserves....my point was that you are wrong in disagreeing with his inclusion.

Nishant

International 12th Man
If India's considering playing three spinners, but Ganguly's seam-up is considered inadequate to open the bowling, we may very well see the following squad for the next test:

Sehwag,Pathan,Dravid,Laxman,Ganguly,Kaif,Dhoni,Kumble,Harbhajan,Chawla/Powar,Ishant/Sree

Though Kumble in this series has not been anything like a decent #8 with the bat.
yh...kumble seems pretty clueless with the bat ATM lol...ah well....as long as he does the job with the ball. Im more concerned abt the actual batsmen scoring the runs. As for the bowlers, Ishant's inclusion does strenghten the attack somewhat...just hope this attack can pull off something special...dunno what to expect frm india ATM...they seem really fatigued tbh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
so you think that Dravid has done well then?
No, but he has done better than Jaffer. In any case, you cannot compare Jaffer to a man who has played 121 Tests. He has earned our faith that he has the skill to come out of funks, so obviously players like that are going to be persisted with moreso than a Jaffer, who not only fails to score runs against good attacks, but never actually looks like he will score a run.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kanpur pitch according to journalist, Neil Manthorp is already looking substandard...

"South Africa arrived in Kanpur expecting a desperate Indian administration to do everything in their power to win the third and final test match in order to square the series -but their first sight of the match pitch at Green Park on Wednesday did not live up to their expectations.
It was much worse than even they were expecting.

The entire square resembles the bottom of a dried out watering hole in the Kruger National Park. Large cracks have spread across the square and started to curl upwards leaving the impression that it last saw water weeks ago.

The match strip itself has already started to crumble giving it the look of a fifth day surface - almost 36 hours before the match even starts.

"We are calm about it because we have been talking about this possibility for a long time," said Proteas coach Mickey Arthur, "and it's the same for both sides. We are all going to have to bat on it."

The general consensus amongst both sides was that the game would struggle to last much beyond the third day and that, while South Africa's batsmen would have their work cut out against three spinners, India's top order would have the unpleasant prospect of facing a pace-trio capable of causing serious problems, not to mention injury, on a surface just as likely to 'kick' as keep low.

"It's certainly a result wicket, I don't think anyone could argue against that," commented India coach Gary Kirsten with a wry smile. "You have to be prepared to lose in order to win."

Opposite number Arthur concurred but chose a different way to express his thoughts: "It's a shocker, to be honest," he smiled. "It's gamble for India. They don't mind losing 2-0 if it gives them the chance of winning and squaring the series. The one thing they didn't want is a 'flat' wicket and the possibility of a draw, and that certainly isn't the case here. But we're 'up' for it," Arthur said.
"

http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket...=India roll dice with lottery pitch&id=250748

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sreesanth is supposedly out due to a shoulder problem. Anil Kumble said yesterday that he is a major doubt and will have a fitness test on Thursday. Sharma is similarly going to have a late fitness test to determine whether he will be fit enough to play but by the sounds of it Ganguly and Patel maybe opening the bowling…

As for South Africa there was talk that Robbie P may play but South Africa are now feeling that if the wicket is crumbling and offering uneven bounce, Morne Mørkel bowling at 150kph will be just as threatening.

ret

International Debutant
Kanpur pitch according to journalist, Neil Manthorp is already looking substandard...

"South Africa arrived in Kanpur expecting a desperate Indian administration to do everything in their power to win the third and final test match in order to square the series -but their first sight of the match pitch at Green Park on Wednesday did not live up to their expectations.

The entire square resembles the bottom of a dried out watering hole in the Kruger National Park. Large cracks have spread across the square and started to curl upwards leaving the impression that it last saw water weeks ago.

The match strip itself has already started to crumble giving it the look of a fifth day surface - almost 36 hours before the match even starts.

"We are calm about it because we have been talking about this possibility for a long time," said Proteas coach Mickey Arthur, "and it's the same for both sides. We are all going to have to bat on it."

The general consensus amongst both sides was that the game would struggle to last much beyond the third day and that, while South Africa's batsmen would have their work cut out against three spinners, India's top order would have the unpleasant prospect of facing a pace-trio capable of causing serious problems, not to mention injury, on a surface just as likely to 'kick' as keep low.

"It's certainly a result wicket, I don't think anyone could argue against that," commented India coach Gary Kirsten with a wry smile. "You have to be prepared to lose in order to win."

Opposite number Arthur concurred but chose a different way to express his thoughts: "It's a shocker, to be honest," he smiled. "It's gamble for India. They don't mind losing 2-0 if it gives them the chance of winning and squaring the series. The one thing they didn't want is a 'flat' wicket and the possibility of a draw, and that certainly isn't the case here. But we're 'up' for it," Arthur said.
"

http://www.supersport.co.za/cricket...=India roll dice with lottery pitch&id=250748
perfect setting .... 1-1 or 0-2 .... can't wait for the game to begin :D

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
News from India is slightly different...

Daljit promises a sporting track

Kanpur: The BCCI Pitch and Grounds Committee Chairman Daljit Singh said on Tuesday that the Green Park track for the third Test between India and South Africa here would be a sporting one and rubbished suggestions that he had been asked to prepare a pitch favouring the home team by the BCCI.
More: http://www.thehindu.com/2008/04/09/stories/2008040959961900.htm

funnygirl

State Regular
Great news :w00t: i don't need to take a gun . Thats the way to go .They could have prepared a sportive pitch for the first test as well . Whatever i am so happy ,i want result badly ,doesn't matter positive or negative.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

"

Oh man, should be a cracker of a game. I am going to enjoy seeing the SA fast bowlers on that pitch, as well as Indian spin bowlers.

Given the choice between flat wickets and one that's broken up, I'll take the latter anytime. Mickey Arthur is absolutely correct - both sides are going to have to bat on it, so the best team to exploit the pitch will win.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sreesanth is supposedly out due to a shoulder problem. Anil Kumble said yesterday that he is a major doubt and will have a fitness test on Thursday. Sharma is similarly going to have a late fitness test to determine whether he will be fit enough to play but by the sounds of it Ganguly and Patel maybe opening the bowling…
Oh God.....

As for South Africa there was talk that Robbie P may play but South Africa are now feeling that if the wicket is crumbling and offering uneven bounce, Morne Mørkel bowling at 150kph will be just as threatening.
Yes, he will. As will Ntini and Steyn.

Termanati

Cricket Spectator
All the indians/indian supporters on here are all excited to see a crumbler.becasue im sure, they think India will win this, becasue of the spinners. And they just well might do that... But to me, this kind of putch is bad for cricket. I love results pitches. I hate watching batsmen dominate. THe best ODis were back in the 90's where 230 was a great score, not the 300s we see today.

BUT..... This kind of pitch doesnt show who is hte best team IMO... Hell you could be playing an understrength Zim , and if you lose hte toss and bat 2nd, Your hopes at winning just flatlined.

Just like the indian team over reacted to a Grassy pitch, they have over reacted , by requesting one that is breaking up before a ball is even sent down.

THe result will be whoever bats first, is 90% more likely to win the match...and in the process, we could see people getting injured.

Anyone Remember what happened to Peter Kirsten, in australia?? A loose piece of pitch deflected a ball from Mcgrath i belive, into his face, destroying his helmet, and sending him to hospital with a mangled face...

And since its the SA team who have the 150K bowlers, I dont want to see all those excited for a crap pitch, all up in arms, if someone gets injured.

Nishant

International 12th Man
its good to see india producing a sporting track....and of course its better that one for the spinners has been produced...hopefully, india can pull of a good performance and win this match. As for the news that ganguly will open the bowling...God help us all is all i can say! :laugh:

Hopefully, Ishant Sharma has it in him to recover and play in this match. Although, i have to admit, the chances of him performing well are low...hopefully he would show some consistency and carry on his good form from australia.

ret

International Debutant
A Test match being played after a gap of four years has failed to excite the fans here.

The Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA) has so far managed to sell only 1800 tickets for the third and final cricket Test between India and South Africa at the 40,000-capacity Green Park Stadium.

The tickets went on sale on Tuesday at various branches of the State Bank of India after the UPCA decided to sell 25,000 tickets per day.

The UPCA was left dumbstruck by the low level of interest among the fans despite the tickets being reasonably priced in the range of Rs 600 and Rs 20.

The UPCA cited the soaring temperatures and the exam season in schools as the reason for the disinterest among the locals.

However, the Association hoped that the sales will pick up once the action gets underway from Friday.

The home side trails the three-match series 0-1.

NDTV
appears as if we would be seeing empty stands at the Green Park [where hopefully the pitch won't be green]

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
its good to see india producing a sporting track....and of course its better that one for the spinners has been produced...hopefully, india can pull of a good performance and win this match. As for the news that ganguly will open the bowling...God help us all is all i can say! :laugh:

Hopefully, Ishant Sharma has it in him to recover and play in this match. Although, i have to admit, the chances of him performing well are low...hopefully he would show some consistency and carry on his good form from australia.
If the game is not expected to last more than three days than its not a sporting wicket but merely a wicket which is not test standard. Also if the likes of Kumble, Harris and Singh are going to be turning the ball two feet than there is something inherently wrong with the wicket, for none of those bowlers get much if any appreciable turn at the best of times.

Would be great if Robbie P played and did a Michael Clarke Mumbai number. That would be a laugh and you bet your bottom dollar people will be then saying sporting wicket my ass.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If the game is not expected to last more than three days than its not a sporting wicket but merely a wicket which is not test standard. Also if the likes of Kumble, Harris and Singh are going to be turning the ball two feet than there is something inherently wrong with the wicket, for none of those bowlers get much if any appreciable turn at the best of times.

Would be great if Robbie P played and did a Michael Clarke Mumbai number. That would be a laugh and you bet your bottom dollar people will be then saying sporting wicket my ass.
/Shrug...both teams have to bat on it. So if SA utilize it better, full credit to them. It's a sporting wicket because it'll bring a result, which is more than you could say about the wicket in the first Test. Whether its bad enough to be called 'not Test standard' remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if it weren't.

I hope he does do a Clarke Mumbai number, because as I remember, India won that game :p. Hopefully, he doesn't do a Clarke Sydney number. :D

Clarke: the anti-Indian.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
/Shrug...both teams have to bat on it. So if SA utilize it better, full credit to them. It's a sporting wicket because it'll bring a result, which is more than you could say about the wicket in the first Test. Whether its bad enough to be called 'not Test standard' remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if it weren't.

I hope he does do a Clarke Mumbai number, because as I remember, India won that game :p. Hopefully, he doesn't do a Clarke Sydney number. :D

Clarke: the anti-Indian.
Ha ha, yeah. He never seems to take wickets against anyone else at all, does he?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
All the indians/indian supporters on here are all excited to see a crumbler.becasue im sure, they think India will win this, becasue of the spinners. And they just well might do that... But to me, this kind of putch is bad for cricket. I love results pitches. I hate watching batsmen dominate. THe best ODis were back in the 90's where 230 was a great score, not the 300s we see today.

BUT..... This kind of pitch doesnt show who is hte best team IMO... Hell you could be playing an understrength Zim , and if you lose hte toss and bat 2nd, Your hopes at winning just flatlined.

Just like the indian team over reacted to a Grassy pitch, they have over reacted , by requesting one that is breaking up before a ball is even sent down.

THe result will be whoever bats first, is 90% more likely to win the match...and in the process, we could see people getting injured.

Anyone Remember what happened to Peter Kirsten, in australia?? A loose piece of pitch deflected a ball from Mcgrath i belive, into his face, destroying his helmet, and sending him to hospital with a mangled face...

And since its the SA team who have the 150K bowlers, I dont want to see all those excited for a crap pitch, all up in arms, if someone gets injured.
What kind of nonsense is this ? The match hasn't even started and people have already started making assumptions about the pitch, result etc.

I am no expert in pitch preparations but I dont think it is possible to prepare a pitch in 3-4 days, considering that 2nd test match ended on 5th and the Kanpur pitch is already open on Display for players/journalists.