• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I reckon it's in poor taste to bring up stuff like that in the midst of his innings though. Let people have their enjoyment, and bring it up afterwards in a different thread if you have to imo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He is an all-time Indian great at test level, how can you even deny that Prince?

Its not like India has a rich history of opening batsman, put it into perspective. He's won India many a test match.

Mind you, Manjrekar is just jumping on board now when he can, but what he says is still true.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Due to all the runs he has scored on the flat pitches in Australia...

There is no doubting his ability to absolutely murder even the best of bowlers on really good batting wickets or even wickets which are helping the spinners, but there are severe doubts over his ability to succeed when conditions are favourable to seam bowling.

This doesn't mean he isn't a good player as scoring such huge runs against good bowling - flat tracks or not - is very, very impressive, but it does preclude him from the being the all time great his average suggests he is.
So according to you sydeney,adelaide and melbourne are all flat tracks?
He scored 40 odd in a match in perth where the highest score was 70 odd in the match at perth in his first test of this tour.or was that track flat too?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Manjrekar is certainly going over the top but he is a nincumpoop who recently said that sachin was a liability for the ODI team only to be preved wrong in the finals spectacularly.
At the same time sehwag is not only a ftb like some are proclaming.
PRINCE EWS
a)How do you define a flat track?
By your standards sehwag has not played on many non flat tracks.For me if the pitch is capable of getting a result then it cannot be construed flat.

b)You said that your point against him was that he struggles in pacer friendly conditions.I agree but that if measure by the same yardstick RICKY PONTING in spin friendly conditions then is he a flat track bully?
Btw,on that chennai pitch he was up against a certain shane warne.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Who the hell called him an all-time great? Damn, it's been a fantastic knock which single-handedly made a result possible in this Test but I don't remember seeing any unreasonable hyperbole of Viru. In fact a lot of the criticism he's gotten in this thread is probably the more unreasonable.

Love him or hate him, apart from Hayden there isn't a better opening batsman going around in Test cricket.
Actually Sanjay Manjrekar did called him an alltime Indian great and I think he is right on spot.

I was going to open a thread on it but didn't fearing the kind of crap the guy will get for his technique etc.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Actually Sanjay Manjrekar did called him an alltime Indian great and I think he is right on spot.

I was going to open a thread on it but didn't fearing the kind of crap the guy will get for his technique etc.
I think he will be a all-time Indian great but is not one at the moment.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Manjrekar is certainly going over the top but he is a nincumpoop who recently said that sachin was a liability for the ODI team only to be preved wrong in the finals spectacularly.
Would you care to post the link where Manjrekar said that Sachin was a liability in the ODI team.

Secondly just because Manjrekar said something not very positive about Tendulkar's ODI batting doesn't mean everything he utters is bullcrap. I would like people to name an Indian opener other than Gavaskar who has performed better than Sehwag for so long.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could someone please tell Rahul to stop hogging the strike. Only 12 more to go I guess though :unsure:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gone. Well Done Nitni. Great Batting Sehwag. One of the best Inning by an Indian ever.

duffer

This has happened to Viru so many times. Every time he goes on a period without facing many deliveries he does something silly and gets himself out. Dravid's constipated batting really hasn't helped the team this morning.

haroon510

International 12th Man
wow what an innings by viro.. that is what i am talking about when i say i like aggrassive bating..Thanks to Viro.. he made watching Dravid's bating less painful..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Saffies have fileded very well in this inning, They must have saved 50 runs. And *Tendulkar Gone.*

duffer

No use plodding around now. This pitch is starting to get a bit up and down now. Big chance of putting South Africa under pressure by some quick batting now. Unfortunately I don't think Laxman will help too much in that regard.