• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, he was not wrong :)
But that's what it's about. At the end of the day it's not about that. Ultimately you have to realize that it's not about whether it's wrong or not..whats pertinent now is not that. Its not about that you know. That's not the point at the end of the day.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pitch is not that bad at all. Its just that our new gen batsmen pretty much suck at milking spinners in reasonably helpful conditions. Rahane and Kohli esp., for guys who like to bat in the middle order, are shockingly poor at this.
Which is why no batsman has scored a hundred in the test and it is getting over so fast.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Which is why no batsman has scored a hundred in the test and it is getting over so fast.
I wouldn't say the pitch is bad though.

South Africa crumbled against high quality spin but that was always on the cards. A lot of people here including myself have talked about the vulnerability of the SA batting.

Indian batting on the other hand crumbled under self created pressure..the pressure they set on themselves with a 1-2 rash/rusty shots.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not mention being an apologist for BCCI. Got no respect for that joker.

He was WAAAAAAAAAAY better when he started out. Sometime in the 2000s the rising power (and the arrogance that comes with it) of BCCI in world cricket caught up with him. Has been unbearable ever since, so much that even his good points seem to be made in poor taste.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, the pitch is terrible man.
Look it's a difficult pitch. I will concede that. But what I am finding here is, and this is something that I noticed even in the Sri Lanka series and mentioned it then, Indian top order (being that they are all younger and less than 50 tests old) still need to develop different gears to adjust in different conditions.
I think the 0-8 in 2011 and the backlash led to a strong desire to make your mark as batsmen in overseas conditions. I remember Rahane and Pujara talking about it...I remember Kohli talking about taking on Steyn before the 2013 series. Nothing wrong with that. It's absolutely fantastic and India's batting in SA 2013 and Australia 2014 is evidence of this new approach working. Look at the rate India scored against MJ and co in Australia last year.
But here's the thing...this is why Australia crumbled in UAE and England put up a much better effort. Australia are used to scoring 400 in Day 1 and get frustrated when they can't.
You have to develop other gears on slower tracks. Other than Vijay in 1st innings and Pujara in 2nd innings, no other Indian batsmen made an attempt to play the 'ugly' innings that Cook or YK or Misbah are so good at playing on these conditions. You have to grind it out, struggle, get beaten, have a few appeals but get that scratchy 70-80 that is vital in these conditions.

You can't expect to dominate from ball 1 without having done that ugly bit on these pitches. Indian batsmen just didn't spend enough time. Look at the Mishra dismissal in both innings. I understand the thinking behind this approach, but you also have to adapt based on circumstances.

These are quality batsmen though and they will learn ultimately the importance of playing that 'ugly' innings. Whether they learn soon or take time is still to be seen.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Look it's a difficult pitch. I will concede that. But what I am finding here is, and this is something that I noticed even in the Sri Lanka series and mentioned it then, Indian top order (being that they are all younger and less than 50 tests old) still need to develop different gears to adjust in different conditions.
I think the 0-8 in 2011 and the backlash led to a strong desire to make your mark as batsmen in overseas conditions. I remember Rahane and Pujara talking about it...I remember Kohli talking about taking on Steyn before the 2013 series. Nothing wrong with that. It's absolutely fantastic and India's batting in SA 2013 and Australia 2014 is evidence of this new approach working. Look at the rate India scored against MJ and co in Australia last year.
But here's the thing...this is why Australia crumbled in UAE and England put up a much better effort. Australia are used to scoring 400 in Day 1 and get frustrated when they can't.
You have to develop other gears on slower tracks. Other than Vijay in 1st innings and Pujara in 2nd innings, no other Indian batsmen made an attempt to play the 'ugly' innings that Cook or YK or Misbah are so good at playing on these conditions. You have to grind it out, struggle, get beaten, have a few appeals but get that scratchy 70-80 that is vital in these conditions.

You can't expect to dominate from ball 1 without having done that ugly bit on these pitches. Indian batsmen just didn't spend enough time. Look at the Mishra dismissal in both innings. I understand the thinking behind this approach, but you also have to adapt based on circumstances.

These are quality batsmen though and they will learn ultimately the importance of playing that 'ugly' innings. Whether they learn soon or take time is still to be seen.
Vijay batted quite well. Pujara did too. Dhawan is not batting well. I agree Kohli is not batting as well as people would like. Rahane had a bad test and I wouldn't read too much into it. He batted quite well in Sri Lanka. India collapsed in the second inning but it's just not a pitch where any one can truly settle. You will eventually get a ball which will get you out. Any one who has made 50+ here has shown tremendous application actually. Worth far more than 100 on a flat track.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
that second hour was brutal, what a collapse.

Saha needs to step up here and just go tonk tonk. Do what he was doing in Adelaide 2014 except this time he actually should be doing it.