• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
As I said to Heathmeister earlier - I really hate the "like-for-like" thing with bowlers. You should pick your best bowlers. If conditions appear likely to offer both seam and swing, seamers and swingers are as likely to be effective.

So I'd pick a seamer (Tremlett) ahead of a swinger (whoever) if they appeared the better option.
Yes but its alot easier to tell if the ball will swing than if the ball will seam. If they had picked Tremlett and the ball had swung and not seamed we'd be in trouble. Especially if Anderson has an off day.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said to Heathmeister earlier - I really hate the "like-for-like" thing with bowlers. You should pick your best bowlers. If conditions appear likely to offer both seam and swing, seamers and swingers are as likely to be effective.

So I'd pick a seamer (Tremlett) ahead of a swinger (whoever) if they appeared the better option.
I expect they figured that they already have two seam bowlers, so may as well bulk up the swing attack.

aussie tragic

International Captain
LOL, I just realised that England have two Aussies in their test team and yet neither of them would get in the Aussie A side.....roll on the ashes :laugh:

Oh yeah, that would be Pattinson who was raised in Melbourne and Ambrose who was born & raised in Newcastle (just in case it wasn't obvious).....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LOL, I just realised that England have two Aussies in their test team and yet neither of them would get in the Aussie A side.....roll on the ashes :laugh:

Oh yeah, that would be Pattinson who was raised in Melbourne and Ambrose who was born & raised in Newcastle (just in case it wasn't obvious).....
Ambrose > Luke Ronchi as batsman and wicketkeeper, I put it to you.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggard wasn't in the squad though. I thought we were considering why Pattinson ahead of Tremlett.

Hoggard was in the 12 and only dropped out de to injury. Tremlett, and Harmison were at least somewhere in the queue. Pattinson was completely out of the blue

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Luke Ronchi is likely to benefit more from dropped catches over his career though. He looks the type.
Good God, I'll kill someone (probably he who decided that dropped catches didn't mean the batsman was out) if that happens.

Hope he doesn't have a career to speak of to allow it.

Anyway decent enough start for Pattins.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes but its alot easier to tell if the ball will swing than if the ball will seam. If they had picked Tremlett and the ball had swung and not seamed we'd be in trouble. Especially if Anderson has an off day.
Equally, though, if the ball had seamed and not swung (pretty unlikely, yeah, but I've seen it happen) then ditto.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would rather have neither myself TBH but I'd be happy with Haddin.

Smith does play the dragged shot through mid-off well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Hoggard was in the 12 and only dropped out de to injury. Tremlett, and Harmison were at least somewhere in the queue. Pattinson was completely out of the blue
Well then there's no question as to why Hoggard isn't around. And tbf, Pattinson was named in the CT provisional squad recently. And given the selectors' profound misunderstanding of the differences between the two forms, it's not that far out of the blue.
Hope he doesn't have a career to speak of to allow it.
Certain to play a few ODIs after bashing a dire West Indies attack.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sure about Hoggard being in this squad? :-O

Anyway, this should be an innings defeat in 4 days if weather holds.
Interesting how many England fans I've spoken to actually want us to get stuffed after this particular selectioon. Strongest feelings I've come across snce the 1992/3 India series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm listening to TMS :dry:
:laugh:

Luke Wright actually
He's an allrounder? One of the biggest misconceptions in world cricket.
Well I'd much rather have Ronchi batting at # 6 then Ambrose :p
Probably because he'll be coming in after the strongest top 5 in world cricket and thus facing, in all likelihood, very tired and suicidal bowlers. Ronchi is a poor batsman though. Decent slogger.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sure about Hoggard being in this squad? :-O
Think and might be getting this mixed-up with Lord's.
Anyway, this should be an innings defeat in 4 days if weather holds.
Doubt that. The weather holding, that is.
Interesting how many England fans I've spoken to actually want us to get stuffed after this particular selectioon. Strongest feelings I've come across snce the 1992/3 India series.
MSP and Read 2 winters ago? Obviously no-one was going to want us to lose to Aus, though.