• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

jammay123

State 12th Man
well it was de villiears reading that jeffrey archer book for most of the last test wasnt it? maybe he learned a thing or two

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Do any of you actually play cricket? Sometimes you just dont know.

Earlier this year in our local club Semi final I took a pretty low catch and claimed it. The umpire called it dropped and I was 100% sure it was a clean take. I went nuts for a good 5minutes knowing how important that catch was to us.

Later than night I sat down and looked at my dads video footage of the day and it showed the ball touching the ground ... These things just happens. I very much doubt that AB would have done it on purpose. Also not the first time we have seen this in Internation cricket ... some way overboard reactions going on in here.

tooextracool

International Coach
Does SA really need 5 seamers in their side? I know Kallis doesnt bowl as much as a regular bowler these days, but surely they have more than enough firepower as it is in the pace attack.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds like a fascinating first session, shame I didn't get to see it. (Sky Sport, I'm looking at you).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Earlier this year in our local club Semi final I took a pretty low catch and claimed it. The umpire called it dropped and I was 100% sure it was a clean take. I went nuts for a good 5minutes knowing how important that catch was to us.

Later than night I sat down and looked at my dads video footage of the day and it showed the ball touching the ground ... These things just happens. I very much doubt that AB would have done it on purpose. Also not the first time we have seen this in Internation cricket ... some way overboard reactions going on in here.
It is very, very different to a lot of the half-carries that we've seen that look dodgy on a replay because of the foreshortening of the lens... going clean into your hands is not the issue: yes it can be difficult to tell if it touches the ground first or not. I believe this was the Clarke incident?

This, however was a dropped catch. The ball hit his hand and did not stick: you know if that is the case.

Zinzan

I didn't see it, so can't comment as to whether he may have thought he caught it or whether it looked obvious that he would have known it was grassed. I'm sure someone who saw it will be able to comment on that.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Do any of you actually play cricket?
Yes

Sometimes you just dont know.

Yes but this was different.

1. De Villiers caught it with his right hand, dropped it and then picked it off the ground with his left.
2. He then rubbed it along the ground with his left hand.
3. He then claimed the catch
4. He then, when the decision was not out, tried to make out that he hadn't been sure in the first place.

I don't think anyone's gone over the top here. People are simply saying that he cheated, which he did.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stating the obvious somewhat here, but Pietersen and Bell seriously need to do what they did last Thursday. For the rest of the day, preferably.

Zinzan

Sounds like a fascinating first session, shame I didn't get to see it. (Sky Sport, I'm looking at you).
Strangely sky are playing the afternoon session from 1.30 am NZ time, which will be about 30 mins into the arvo session. Again struggling with their logic here.

_Ed_

Strangely sky are playing the afternoon session from 1.30 am NZ time, which will be about 30 mins into the arvo session. Again struggling with their logic here.
By which time I'll be in bed, have to be up for work at 8 in the morning. Love your work, Sky.

TazzX

U19 12th Man

Yeah I was very very angry when I browsed sky sports to see coverage only starting at 01:30am ... not happy Sky whats going on :@

Whats worse is that prime Friday night viewing time was taken up by a All Black / Boks reply :|

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bowling attack is a bit like the England footy team, you have the bulk of it coming from the top 2 counties (in terms of current position):

Broad/Pattinson (Notts) with Sidebottom also Notts
Flintoff/Anderson (Lancs)

Obviously Monty plays for Northants, but still, it doesn't tend to happen in Cricket, with the top sides in the league usually being those who select a good overseas player and the best of the rest in terms of English players.

So, pointless observation, meh