• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

aussie tragic

International Captain
On a more positive note, Flintoff needs 3 wkts to become only the 10th player to make 3000 runs and take 200 wkts.

Other 9 are Sobers, Botham, Dev, Hadlee, Imran, Pollock, Cairns, Kallis and Warne

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, generally you need to see what happens before deciding if something worked or not.
Whether something worked isn't relevant to how good the reasoning was behind it.

Obviously, every selection is based on "we think it's going to work". It depends on how good your reasoning for why you think it's going to work as to whether it was a good or poor decision.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Sure enough, Vaughan doesn't hang around against Steyn.

Perfect, s**t selectors, s**t umpire, s**t players and s**t commentary with Blofeld on.

My classes are in for mighty hard time today.
Get that ruler out David :laugh:

I'll let you off the filter just this once :p :laugh:

tooextracool

International Coach
No, as you've said yourself there are a handful of games played at once - rarely 9.

And where did you get the idea that the selectors may never have seen him play?
They may have seen him play at some point but i doubt they have seen very much of him. Whether selectors watch as much cricket as some of the people do on this forum is debateable, because they rarely watch entire games like some of the supporters do. Selectors in general maybe more qualified to make judgements about a player's ability than some members on here, but my point is that given some of their past selections its fair to say that most of them are largely clueless in being able to judge quality and talent even if it was put right in front of them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen gets away with an lbw. Been a while since he last got a let-off, thought his luck had dried-up for the time being.

That makes it 1-1.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Whether something worked isn't relevant to how good the reasoning was behind it.

Obviously, every selection is based on "we think it's going to work". It depends on how good your reasoning for why you think it's going to work as to whether it was a good or poor decision.
Well as we've established you don't know how much the selectors have seen of him, nor their detailed reasoning for picking him. Therefore I imagine you'd accept that, on your own logic, you're in a poor position to pass judgment on the selection?

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, loved Vaughan face:

':huh:'

Anyways, a six and a four from KP. Really hope he gets a ton here.

Looks like a fair bit of rain though :dry: .

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The only good thing about playing on in the rain is that the ball is getting nice and wet. Otherwise I'm not very happy about it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To backtrack, having watched the replays, Vaughan's shot was very poor. Reminded me of the way Matthew Hoggard usually got out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well as we've established you don't know how much the selectors have seen of him, nor their detailed reasoning for picking him. Therefore I imagine you'd accept that, on your own logic, you're in a poor position to pass judgment on the selection?
My position is that the selectors, and everyone, cannot know enough about Pattinson to justify picking him.

Even if they have watched every game this season, that's not enough - you too are agreed on this - and before this season he has not played any cricket of any note. And he's 29 years old.

And like magic, the rain appears to have gone again.

stumpski

International Captain
Botham: "Brian Close there ... the last man to play for England in his teens."

He wouldn't be any good on the Trivia thread would he. It was Ben Hollioake IIRC.