• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

kingkallis

International Coach
Elgar (c) /
Kuhn /
Amla /
Duminy ( Jeez!! )
de Bryun / or du Plessis (c) /
Bavuma /
de Kock + /
Morris o /
Philander o /
Rabada o /
Maharaj o /
---
Jennings /
Cook /
Root (c) /
Balance /
Moeen / o
Bairstow + /
Stokes o /
Woakes o /
Broad o /
Wood o / or Toby Roland-Jones o
Anderson o

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Elgar (c) /
Kuhn /
Amla /
Duminy ( Jeez!! )
de Bryun / or du Plessis (c) /
Bavuma /
de Kock + /
Morris o /
Philander o /
Rabada o /
Maharaj o /
---
Jennings /
Cook (c) /
Root /
Balance /
Moeen / o
Bairstow + /
Stokes o /
Woakes o /
Broad o /
Wood o / or Toby Roland-Jones o
Anderson o
Wood will play, think Roland-jones is probably cover for Woakes or/and Broad. Oh and Broad should bat 10 in that line-up, whomever else is in it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can understand why Hameed is dropped and why Ballance is recalled but you do think long term it will be the other way round. Can't understand having 6 bowlers though, must mean they are worried about Stokes, Broad and Wood so why risk all of them?

fredfertang

Dawson is a bizarre choice - I'm no great fan of Rashid but he impressed me over the winter and in the Champions Trophy - reckon he deserves a run in the Test side at home

harsh.ag

It's cruel to drop Rashid for Dawson. What's the point even? Better fielder for the 12th man role?

flibbertyjibber

Not too sure it matters which spinner we pick, none are good enough. Going for Dawson may give more control at one end than Rashid or Moeen can give so that is probably the reason for it. Not going to moan about it as none of them that good anyway so it matters not who plays.

harsh.ag

Not too sure it matters which spinner we pick, none are good enough. Going for Dawson may give more control at one end than Rashid or Moeen can give so that is probably the reason for it. Not going to moan about it as none of them that good anyway so it matters not who plays.
It matters from the players pov though. Rashid has been good and they drop him for Dawson, who is nothing. I mean, he really is nothing from what I remember.

flibbertyjibber

It matters from the players pov though. Rashid has been good and they drop him for Dawson, who is nothing. I mean, he really is nothing from what I remember.
Well safe to say Rashid won't play another test but he is a key player for the shorter versions of the game. Nothing to see here, if Rashid was a great test bowler and was dropped then we could say it is harsh but he was only good on a few occasions.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Rashid getting smacked around the park by Surrey in the game leading up to selection didn't inspire confidence either (not that Dawson's selection does)

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
So we really are just picking spinners based on their batting over and over again. Not only for tours either. Christ alive.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I'm tempted to get Foakes in there,

Cook
Jennings
Northeast
Root*
Stokes
Bairstow
Foakes+
Broad
Wood
Anderson
Crane or Bess

So we really are just picking spinners based on their batting over and over again. Not only for tours either. Christ alive.
Bits and pieces players, or as I call them, ''****e all-rounders. The selectors are obsessed with them. They really have no choice in blooding a young spinner if they ever envision a scenario when we have a genuine frontline twirler, soon enough for the Ashes. There is no choice. But it will not happen.

SeamUp

International Coach
Adidas have done another fantastic job for my Nottingham Forest but New Balance also pulled out all stops for the Proteas.

SeamUp

International Coach
Good work by little Temba. Morris is capable of a big score in test cricket when/if he gets a chance too.

Be nice to get another bat particularly for JP and Theunis. Deano has had a decent summer for Somerset & spent plenty time out in the middle.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Yes, they've done similar with England, went traditional with the cable knits for the test team but the two limited overs kits are an abomination.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yes, they've done similar with England, went traditional with the cable knits for the test team but the two limited overs kits are an abomination.
Loving it.

Suppose they can do the funky in the T20. England's ODI kit was alright. Been far worse in recent years.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Dawson would be absolutely ****e in Australia.

Moeen will be too. Need a spinner and playing Rashid in these tests can only help.

We'll probably end up hoying crane in the deep end.

Pothas

Yeah the control has to be the reason and they obviously really like Dawson after having him around the squad for the last year or so. I still think Rashid deserved a chance in home Tests but I can see why they would want a spinner who can go at less than 3 an over, we have had not had that in ages.

grecian

Yeah the control has to be the reason and they obviously really like Dawson after having him around the squad for the last year or so. I still think Rashid deserved a chance in home Tests but I can see why they would want a spinner who can go at less than 3 an over, we have had not had that in ages.
Yep, it really isn't that hard to understand, Crane getting smashed in this match shows that having a raw leg-spinner may not be the way to stem runs, who'd a thunk.

Looking for control with a spinner is seemingly harder than looking at taking wickets. Dawson may not be the answer, but control-wise who the hell is?

I've never seen Bess bowl, are we really advocating someone for England on stats on cricinfo, unless people have seen him bowl, and I'm misconstruing it.

Last edited: