• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in Bangladesh

Laurrz

International Debutant
*sigh

looks like Saffers will take the #1 (cant see Bangers winning a game..... well they needa play Mortaza and Aftab)

Protean

State Regular
Graeme ends it nicely, the winning runs bringing up his hundred. Not the most exciting game, but SA bowled and batted well. :)

jeevan

International 12th Man
So, Mohammad Rafique retires and Bangladesh decide that three SLAs
(Razzak, Shakib, Haque Jr) is not enough and decide to debut another one!

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
So, Mohammad Rafique retires and Bangladesh decide that three SLAs
(Razzak, Shakib, Haque Jr) is not enough and decide to debut another one!
TBF Mosharraf Hossain's domestic record this season has been outstanding. He deserves his place ahead of Enamul Haque and is a better bowler than Shakib.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Playing like that I wonder if Bangladsh would get past Zimbabwe or Ireland:huh:
Zim for mine have the better batting line up but a bit of reality, Bangladesh is getting beaten by the second best team in world cricket. South Africa should be beating them comfortably, although, one probably would expect a better batting performances than we have seen. Its quite alarming on how they are getting troubled by the bounce the South Africans are getting yet, the wickets are frightfully slow and low.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Graeme ends it nicely, the winning runs bringing up his hundred. Not the most exciting game, but SA bowled and batted well. :)
Thought Harris bowled really well, turned it more than Bangladeshi spinners and really troubled the left-handers. A good sign considering the Champions Trophy is held in Pakistan this year.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Zim for mine have the better batting line up but a bit of reality, Bangladesh is getting beaten by the second best team in world cricket. South Africa should be beating them comfortably, although, one probably would expect a better batting performances than we have seen. Its quite alarming on how they are getting troubled by the bounce the South Africans are getting yet, the wickets are frightfully slow and low.
True but even Zimbabwe at least avoided being rolled over cheaply by a similar strength SA side and it is worrying that their batting is that brittle

Protean

State Regular
Bangladesh all out for 173, despite a record partnership for the fifth wicket of 119. Once again, doesn't look much of a challenging chase for SA. Nel taking 4, he is looking pretty good, wonder if the selectors are regretting not choosing him for India?

Protean

State Regular
Gibbs goes in a predictable way, cheaply. Amla is playing some gorgeous wristy strokes though, nice to see him go for it.

Last edited:

Protean

State Regular
SA now 60-3, having lost Amla and now Smith. Hope AB and Duminy can get decent scores, haven't seen a lot of them for a while.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Petersen showing why he is a useful inclusion again. Bowling 1 over (whilst Duminy got 3) and listed to bat at 9.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like the locals are not happy, a missile was just thrown onto the field and the team has been apparently been getting a bit of stick in the build up to the game. Mortaza in particular was offended when in practice a man on crutches said, “I pray five times a day for you people and you should play well, if you can.”

Decent win by South Africa, AB and Duminy played well, didn't do anything stupid and just took the singles and waited patiently until the third PowerPlay was taken. Good to see a middle order not see red after a few dot filled overs.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh all out for 173, despite a record partnership for the fifth wicket of 119. Once again, doesn't look much of a challenging chase for SA. Nel taking 4, he is looking pretty good, wonder if the selectors are regretting not choosing him for India?
Nel is apparently going to quit South African cricket in the coming weeks. He threatened not to play this morning after his political axing from the test side and was only playing because Arthur and Smith pleaded with him. I'm not Andre's biggest fan but he deserves better than being shafted for a 33 year old, who has practically no chance of playing test cricket ever again.

A Kolpak or ICL contract awaits.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nel is apparently going to quit South African cricket in the coming weeks. He threatened not to play this morning after his political axing from the test side and was only playing because Arthur and Smith pleaded with him. I'm not Andre's biggest fan but he deserves better than being shafted for a 33 year old, who has practically no chance of playing test cricket ever again.

A Kolpak or ICL contract awaits.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=17&art_id=vn20080312120933775C421473

Im not overly upset about Nel not being selected, but all anyone needs to do is look at my post history to see my opinions on quotas being enforced.

The ****ing ******** thing aboout the quotas (even if you agree with them) is that there are 6 quota spots for the India tour. 4 are taken by coloureds that are a smaller proportion of the population than whites and 1 is Asian (2.4% of pop).

Black Africans are represented by 1 player (Ntini) despite being 80% of the population.

So you have all the crap of quotas and then they dont do a decent job of that anyway. Instead you have a small population group (Coloureds) that are over represented and benefit and the Black African players still dont exist.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
The whole selection policy is stupid in general. Let's be honest, Nel recent test performances leave little to be desired so his axing is not surprising. There are plenty of young players with colour that they could have chosen that we know are up and coming. E.g. Zondeki, Tsosobe, Mjekula. It would have made a little more sense even though still wrong. To revert to someone that is not a recognized test bowler even on the domestic level, shows that it's about the transformation policy and how badly they want to drive the white players away from the SA team.

Protean

State Regular
The whole selection policy is stupid in general. Let's be honest, Nel recent test performances leave little to be desired so his axing is not surprising. There are plenty of young players with colour that they could have chosen that we know are up and coming. E.g. Zondeki, Tsosobe, Mjekula. It would have made a little more sense even though still wrong. To revert to someone that is not a recognized test bowler even on the domestic level, shows that it's about the transformation policy and how badly they want to drive the white players away from the SA team.
I like all those options you named, especially (as Goughy said) the quota is not currently being filled by any real black players besides Ntini. Also like another guy called Ethy Mbhalati. However this is India, it's an important tour for SA, and they need a strong side, and it could be a really tough place to blood new players. Admittedly Zondeki has played a few tests but not in the subcontinent and not for a few years. I think and hope Zondeki will be brought back into the side in the England tour later in the year. Langeveldt I think is just there to satisfy the powers that be temporarily, and even though I don't think it's fair on Nel, I doubt he would have played much anyway, with Morne, Steyn and Ntini taking precedence for the fast bowling positions, along with Kallis. Obviously the fact that there is a quota to be satisfied in the first place is pretty undesirable.

Also, reading that, I wonder why there are so many black bowlers coming through and relatively few batsmen?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, reading that, I wonder why there are so many black bowlers coming through and relatively few batsmen?
Hypothesesis: Cost of equipment

I suspect where black players are becoming more involved with cricket in school and club level it is still to expensive for each and every player to afford the full set of bats, pads, gloves and what not so some of the equipments would have to be shared whereas with bowlers it is merely a matter of turning up in comfortable white clothing and practice with the balls (which are numerous and inexpensive) that are lying around. Hence while just about everybody can have a bowl not everybody will be able to bat and prioty will off course go to the guy with the equipment.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
am sure india would rather face langeveldt rather than nel.If nel quits intl. cricket i think he will join the ICL.
Another thing i do not know is how langeveldt and other's accept being in the team on the basis of colour ,they should have enough self prestige and guts to say that we want to be there on merit not colour.
And since we are on this topic,can someone explain how gibbs is considered a person of colour and kallis a white in south africa?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
am sure india would rather face langeveldt rather than nel.If nel quits intl. cricket i think he will join the ICL.
Another thing i do not know is how langeveldt and other's accept being in the team on the basis of colour ,they should have enough self prestige and guts to say that we want to be there on merit not colour.
And since we are on this topic,can someone explain how gibbs is considered a person of colour and kallis a white in south africa?
Because Kallis parents are both white. Jacques has merely been in the sun too long; check out some pictures of him in the early 90s.