• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #1- India vs New Zealand - November 15th - Wankhede, Mumbai (D/N)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, we did suffer because of this. Latham was obviously a walking wicket but I was disappointed with the output from both Phillips and Chapman. They both had their chances throughout but didn't produce.

Phillips, I think, will go on to be a very good int'l batsman. I had high hopes for Chapman, but I now don't think he's up to it at the top level. Latham should also should play no further ODI cricket.

I won't hold my breath, though. We have chumps in charge, who don't make changes by choice. They lucked into playing Ravindra, after all.
I was disappointed in Phillips. There's no bigger fan than me, but he really struggled yesterday against hittable bowling. India really have his number, they seem to know how to contain him. Chapman just had no time, it wasn't a World Cup where he could make too much impact. Hard to get any rhythm or form when you might bat for 20 balls max, and not in every game, and you don't bowl either. It puts a lot of pressure on to make impact when you do get the chance.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done India, always a step ahead and although the Blackcaps showed plenty of fight it was always going to be a step too far.
Losing the toss was obviously tough but there is where we didn't do anything with an element of surprise.
It was never going to happen, but KJ in for Southee would have been worth the gamble imo. Basically we knew Timmy was going to be tapped all over
the park but they were never dropping him unfortunately.
Another move that would have been worthwhile was moving Chapman up the order in front of Latham. Basically he is a gun player and he proved that
some six months ago when he was our best 20/20 player for a while. But he always seems to come in under the most hopeless circumstances.
He can really hit the ball around but he needs a couple overs to get his eye in but he just can't seem to buy a decent opportunity.
At 220/2 it was game on big time, and from the angle at the ground I was in I thought Kane may of hit a six but sadly it wasn't to be.
The crowd had just started to go very quiet and I can assure you they were extremely concerned.
With 8 overs to go there was again a glimmer of hope but then Kuldeep's over that conceded only 2 runs kind of put the game beyond doubt.

Flem274*

123/5
Ah bugger. Well done India. Pretty comfortably the best team here due to the bowling lifting them higher (I feel like every team has done well batting). Still, gotta get the job done against a very good team on Sunday.

Bridge too far for an ageing NZ. A few guys clearly not quite who they used to be. Still, there's time to build for 2027. Looks like Mitchell played a beauty.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
The team that rightfully deserved to be in the finals made it. NZ were sloppy towards the end of the tournament and barely made it to semis.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Went to bed after watching us fail to move a ball of the straight and knew we were going to be chasing a huge total. Happy to see we didn’t roll over, stocks in mitchell inc continue to moon

I swear I’ve seen Tom Latham dismissed by gun barrel straight balls from round the wicket a million times, seems like it should be an easy flaw to fix?

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I was disappointed in Phillips. There's no bigger fan than me, but he really struggled yesterday against hittable bowling. India really have his number, they seem to know how to contain him. Chapman just had no time, it wasn't a World Cup where he could make too much impact. Hard to get any rhythm or form when you might bat for 20 balls max, and not in every game, and you don't bowl either. It puts a lot of pressure on to make impact when you do get the chance.
Chapman should have been batting in Latham’s spot, plain and simple. Chapman was used abysmally in this tourney, he showed his real class at times but wasn’t given the opportunity to build innings’ the way other players were. Look at what Ravindra accomplished when he had plenty of time to build an innings. If Ravindra had been used way down the order somewhere - as the brains trust were intending before fate intervened - then he’d have be just another bloke knocking out hit & miss cameos in the dying stages of innings’.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done India, always a step ahead and although the Blackcaps showed plenty of fight it was always going to be a step too far.
Losing the toss was obviously tough but there is where we didn't do anything with an element of surprise.
It was never going to happen, but KJ in for Southee would have been worth the gamble imo. Basically we knew Timmy was going to be tapped all over
the park but they were never dropping him unfortunately.
Another move that would have been worthwhile was moving Chapman up the order in front of Latham. Basically he is a gun player and he proved that
some six months ago when he was our best 20/20 player for a while. But he always seems to come in under the most hopeless circumstances.
He can really hit the ball around but he needs a couple overs to get his eye in but he just can't seem to buy a decent opportunity.
At 220/2 it was game on big time, and from the angle at the ground I was in I thought Kane may of hit a six but sadly it wasn't to be.
The crowd had just started to go very quiet and I can assure you they were extremely concerned.
With 8 overs to go there was again a glimmer of hope but then Kuldeep's over that conceded only 2 runs kind of put the game beyond doubt.
This post of yours is #2222 on this thread.

The number 2 strikes again.

:laugh: 😍

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Chapman should have been batting in Latham’s spot, plain and simple. Chapman was used abysmally in this tourney, he showed his real class at times but wasn’t given the opportunity to build innings’ the way other players were. Look at what Ravindra accomplished when he had plenty of time to build an innings. If Ravindra had been used way down the order somewhere - as the brains trust were intending before fate intervened - then he’d have be just another bloke knocking out hit & miss cameos in the dying stages of innings’.
Agreed. Chapman is real talent!

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It is a bit weird, Chapman played his way into the side with a few exceptional series batting at 4, iirc.

He’s then shoehorned into things at this World Cup at 7, playing a totally different role.

Fair enough if he isn’t in the top team, but I’m not too sure how he ended up in this ball one hitting role. He’s done well in it at times, but it’s not really him, I don’t think?

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Today’s match between IND vs NZ had live concurrent viewership of 52 million which is a World Record for Cricket or any sports (??)

To people who are new to broadcasting numbers, concurrent viewers = number of viewers watching any event at a particular instant and is different from cumulative viewership.
I feel cumulative viewership = 150 million atleast on Digital media for today’s match.
Pretty sure that's absolutely nothing compared to football finals.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Went to bed after watching us fail to move a ball of the straight and knew we were going to be chasing a huge total. Happy to see we didn’t roll over, stocks in mitchell inc continue to moon

I swear I’ve seen Tom Latham dismissed by gun barrel straight balls from round the wicket a million times, seems like it should be an easy flaw to fix?
Too late to fix it now. ‘He’s a great player of spin’ should never have negated his other flaws. Kane and Mitchell are great against spin but it wouldn’t matter a damn if they were getting pinned by straight ones bowled by the seamers. The ‘spin in the sub continent’ trope is overdone when even India’s key bowling weaponry is Bumrah / Shami / Siraj. The Aussies only had Zampa as a gun spin weapon, NZ only Santner. The only side with the balance of their attack tilted towards ‘spin weapons’ was Afghanistan.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
It is a bit weird, Chapman played his way into the side with a few exceptional series batting at 4, iirc.

He’s then shoehorned into things at this World Cup at 7, playing a totally different role.

Fair enough if he isn’t in the top team, but I’m not too sure how he ended up in this ball one hitting role. He’s done well in it at times, but it’s not really him, I don’t think?
They did see Chapman as a bloke who’d developed power hitting / finishing ability, and they did shoe horn him into that role. A criminal waste of batting talent, because he’s a much better player than that.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
They did see Chapman as a bloke who’d developed power hitting / finishing ability, and they did shoe horn him into that role. A criminal waste of batting talent, because he’s a much better player than that.
What role do you see him playing to maximise his talent?

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I'll answer for Skyliner who'll probably chip in later. Get him up the order so he can play himself in.
His time will come with retirements and Latham getting dropped.
He will never get higher than 6, though. Phillips should be a lock at 5 and the top 4 pick themselves, so he'll always be somewhat of a finisher as long as he's in the side. I'm a big Chapman fan, but I believe he needed to make one of WC those chances stick and influence a result. Or go near to.

But maybe he'll come right and prove me wrong. I genuinely hope so, because I agree that he's hugely talented.