• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can only assume that Ashes emotion has taken over. Ever since I first started playing it was accepted by all that you don't ground the ball during a catch, and you stayed in your crease until sure that the ball was no longer in play.

It's difficult to believe a professional cricketer like Starc wouldn't have known the rules re a fair catch. Then again I remember Ponting claiming an obviously grounded catch in the monkey gate series. To make it more embarrassing he got up and raised the finger as if to give it out himself, all with a straight face lol. Was never sure what to think about that (have no doubt what the Indians thought about it though).

As to Bairstow, he just overlooked one of the most basic fundamentals of the game that club players would be disappointed with. Should give himself a swift uppercut and move on.
Quite right. Bairstow should have known from the multiple bounce catches Australia have tried to claim this series that there’s no etiquette they won’t breach

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Quite right. Bairstow should have known from the multiple bounce catches Australia have tried to claim this series that there’s no etiquette they won’t breach
Missed those...did they get away with any?

Staying in your crease is considered your own responsibility, and not generally dependant on how the other team catches (or doesn't catch as the case may be).

Etiquette is nice and has it's place (especially when convenient :D) but I'm not a stickler for it. I was genuinely hoping someone would Mankad Stokes after Bairstow was told to get on his bike. Would have been hilarious, and probably generated a large turnover of Lords membership. Half of those old gits are only a good sneeze away from the great cricket ground in the sky anyway.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Those 75 year old Eton educated toffs can get a but nasty after a couple of hours on the shiraz.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Missed those...did they get away with any?

Staying in your crease is considered your own responsibility, and not generally dependant on how the other team catches (or doesn't catch as the case may be).

Etiquette is nice and has it's place (especially when convenient :D) but I'm not a stickler for it. I was genuinely hoping someone would Mankad Stokes after Bairstow was told to get on his bike. Would have been hilarious, and probably generated a large turnover of Lords membership. Half of those old gits are only a good sneeze away from the great cricket ground in the sky anyway.
Obviously not given I said they 'tried to claim' them

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Personally I think the Spirit of the Game should not be used as justification for a brain fade , Bairstow let England down , he failed to stay in his crease cause he was not concentrating and he should know better because he tried to do the exact same thing when he was keeping in the match.

Also if you are going to go down the Spirit of the Game route you gotta make sure you aren't bringing the game further into disrepute yourself .
Stuart Broad saying to Carey " That's all you'll ever gonna be remembered for", was incredibly sanctimonious and reeked of arrogance .

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
To all those who thought my comment about Smiths mum was not appropriate you are entitled to your opinion.

I'd agree the comment was flippant, and for that I apologise.

However, I stand by the sentiment behind it.

There are consequences to actions. One of the consequences to Smiths actions is that his family were bound to effected by it if the truth emerged.

He was the captain of The Australian cricket team, a hugely important and high profile position.

What did he think the reaction would be
if it was discovered that certain players were using sandpaper to rough up the ball.

Do I feel sympathy for his Mum, yes of course I do, it can't be pleasant to hear the chorus of boos for her son.

But the responsibility for that lies with Smith and nobody else.

• Haha
Reactions: Gob

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
When did Smith cheat? Who charged him with cheating and what was the charge, specifically?

ps. what does it have to do with his mum anyway?
As you know Smith was banned for 12 months for bringing the game in to disrepute as he was part of the leadership group that decided to use sandpaper to rough up the ball.

He knew about it, did not stop it happening and subsequently mislead the match officials. In common language, I'd say that's cheating.

The reference to Smiths Mum is that somebody posted an article that she had to leave Lords because of the abuse Smith was getting off the crowd.

Gob

International Coach
To all those who thought my comment about Smiths mum was not appropriate you are entitled to your opinion.

There are consequences to actions. One of the consequences to Smiths actions is that his family were bound to effected by it if the truth emerged.

He was the captain of The Australian cricket team, a hugely important and high profile position.

if it was discovered that certain players were using sandpaper to rough up the ball.

Do I feel sympathy for his Mum, yes of course I do, it can't be pleasant to hear the chorus of boos for her son.

Sand paper has nothing to do with this

And she was abused without anyone knowing her relation to Smith

'The spectators did not know her connection to the former Test skipper and targeted her due to her nationality, the publication reported - adding that the 11-year-old son of an Australia team staff member cried after also being subjected to abuse.'

Read the ****ing article

the big bambino

International Captain

Shut up.