• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, he's not. If he doesn't pick up a wicket, he sets one up with his tight bowling which gives nothing away unless you make something happen. To make something happen means a risk, and half the time a risk will go wrong. Brings me back up to my logic just before, half the time he gets a wicket.
He doesn't though.

He's bowled in 38 innings and taken wickets in 10 of them. So that's 26% - not 50, and that doesn't even take into account innings in which he's bowled more than one spell. If you take out the ridiculous 6/9 he's taken 13 Test wickets @ 55 and 23 First Class wickets @ 60. North's taken 93 First Class wickets @ 43 and has actually been improving his bowling - he averaged 35 in the Shield last season.

Your avatar suggests I'm talking to somewhat of a fanboy so I won't bother for too much longer (and yes TC, I recognise the irony :p) but Clarke's ability to bowl in Tests is hugely over-rated. One day cricket's another story of course.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, combination of Australians going from utterly dreadful to outstanding (that was a superlative delivery) and wasted England wickets. Prior did nothing wrong; Collingwood did everything wrong.

Flintoff you wouldn't imagine will last long and once again we'll do well to get 450 from here. And you'd suppose Aus will go and get 650 again.

Unless by some miracle England can get the swing they so eminently failed to at SWALEC.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He doesn't though.

He's bowled in 38 innings and taken wickets in 10 of them. So that's 26% - not 50, and that doesn't even take into account innings in which he's bowled more than one spell. If you take out the ridiculous 6/9 he's taken 13 Test wickets @ 55 and 23 First Class wickets @ 60. North's taken 93 First Class wickets @ 43 and has actually been improving his bowling - he averaged 35 in the Shield last season.

Your avatar suggests I'm talking to somewhat of a fanboy so I won't bother for too much younger (and yes TC, I recognise the irony :p) but Clarke's ability to bowl in Tests is hugely over-rated. One day cricket's another story of course.
Golden arm, mate. Today he just took advantage of the Paul Harris Effect (this guy's ****, let's try to hit him for six).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We should make 400 no probs, but by the sound of the deck that won't be enough. Still, plenty of batting left, all is not lost. Cheer up my compatriots.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf that was an excellent ball from Johnson, got one to swing out of nowhere with a very old ball. Johnson with swing is an excellent bowler as we saw in SA, but when he cant get the ball to swing he isnt half as good.
The thing is, he only needs the odd ball to do that and the rest of the batsmen won't be able to leave him all the time.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
He doesn't though.

Your avatar suggests I'm talking to somewhat of a fanboy so I won't bother for too much younger (and yes TC, I recognise the irony :p) but Clarke's ability to bowl in Tests is hugely over-rated. One day cricket's another story of course.
Didn't realise I was getting myself involved in a stats war.... My first post was an exaggeration, but by my second I should have realised what I was getting myself into with my flawed judgment. Just felt I had to back myself up haha. I'm out of bull**** to post now, you win. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If one of the three misses off Strauss had been out (any of them, never mind the formermost) had been taken England'd be in even bigger trouble now than they are.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We should make 400 no probs, but by the sound of the deck that won't be enough. Still, plenty of batting left, all is not lost. Cheer up my compatriots.
I'd be a lot happier if you started to believe in Jinxing.

Johnson been bowling like Wasim Akram, in his prime, since you started slating him:@

tooextracool

International Coach
The thing is, he only needs the odd ball to do that and the rest of the batsmen won't be able to leave him all the time.
Yes but he didnt swing a single ball at Cardiff, and on count hes swung about 3 deliveries today and none of them swung anywhere near as much as the one that got Prior. Prior didnt even get close to it because he was playing so far down the wrong line.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's better to be disappointed before the disappointment, rather than upon it. That way you get things out of the way early.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Golden arm, mate.
What I'm suggesting is that this is, in fact, quite the myth with the exception of two games. He doesn't break partnerships with even close to the regularity that people seem to think and his bowling in the last year has been ridiculously ineffective.

Now I think the decision to bring him on when Ponting did in this game was perfectly fine as North had already bowled a long spell and the change of angle, trajectory etc could do the trick (which it did), but I strongly disagree with claims that he should have been bowling before that, instead of North.