• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure I agree with this. I think the two blokes at the crease did so much already that fatugue would surely be an issue. Reckon, without being reckless of course, some 'if it's there, hit it' in the first hour will see them home. Hanging about when chasing a low target is a recipe for disaster when you have two guys who've already done so much work batting.
You'd think guys who've played that much FC cricket would be able to back up well enough for 2 sessions of batting?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fatigue a factor for the bowlers as well though, especially if one or two are carrying injuries.

Not just physical fatigue, but mental plays a part, for bowlers and batsmen, given what's at stake here.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I think we'll fall short but am enough of a realist to know it is still possible and my optimism points to a thrilling win.

I see alot of parralells with that Langer/Gilchrist game against Pakistan.
Personel antidote: I thought it near impossible to win. I was driving to Sydney and listening on the radio and was getting a little more optimistic with every ball, then all of a sudden at drinks the radio switched from the cricket to something called Country Hour. What the #@$&? Instead of the cricket I had to put up with talk of tractors and the price of sheep. Not cool. I was so angry that I was a severely distracted 130km/hr missile flying down the freeway (wanted to make Sydney before afternoon peak). Somehow I managed to avoid any road carnage and stear clear of the constabulary. It was a very very long long hour. I figured that a country hour must be extended in the same way as a country mile. So with that s**t finished I was so thrilled to find out that the two batsman were still wearing their pads at the lunchtable. Brilliant. ABC really let me down though. A cautionary warning to not drive through rural Australia when the Cricket is tight or you might find out way to much about about lack of rainfall in the wheat belt and new techniques in vinoculture and no where near enough about the fall of wickets and flow of runs.

cheers

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd think guys who've played that much FC cricket would be able to back up well enough for 2 sessions of batting?
On day 5, though? Having spent a fair bit of time in the field too (not that they batted for very long in the first dig though, hah) + it being a more pressurised situation than most would take a heap out of you. Haddin also had to keep for two fairly long innings, he especially would surely be vulnerable early. It's why 5th day chases are harder than others, not just because of a worn pitch.

Just saying, once the adrenalin of the morning wears off, I wonder how they'll go. if they get going early, the momentum might carry them but if they come out stiff and get bogged-down, can't see that ending well.

Burgey makes a good point too, though; Freddie will obviously be bowling his knackers off but you wonder how much he'd have left considering he's carrying. Anderson looks like he's feeling the pinch too. Reckon Broad will bowl all day if given the opportunity and Onions would be relatively fresh. Swan with a huge role to play.

Tactically, Clarke the anchor and Haddin to play his shots, especially if he's knackered and not going to last a long time anyway. That's the way I'd play it in in the ICC 2009 of life.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Doesn't eat children as far as I know.
Interesting core ingredient that.

Chris to panfry the soft baby cheek-meat garnished with pinky toes

Julie to prepare a hearty meal of slow roasted toddler on the bone

Poh to prepare an eloquantly presented traditional Malay preteen stirfry

:tabletalk

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just saying, once the adrenalin of the morning wears off, I wonder how they'll go. if they get going early, the momentum might carry them but if they come out stiff and get bogged-down, can't see that ending well.

Burgey makes a good point too, though; Freddie will obviously be bowling his knackers off but you wonder how much he'd have left considering he's carrying. Anderson looks like he's feeling the pinch too. Reckon Broad will bowl all day if given the opportunity and Onions would be relatively fresh. Swan with a huge role to play.
Yeah obviously they shall be a lot more drained than if it was day 1, but I think the amount of fatigue would be more or less a wash between the teams and shouldn't be a big factor.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting core ingredient that.

Chris to panfry the soft baby cheek-meat garnished with pinky toes

Julie to prepare a hearty meal of slow roasted toddler on the bone

Poh to prepare an eloquantly presented traditional Malay preteen stirfry

:tabletalk
Thank god that's all over. Don't need any competition for the TV tonight.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I like the sound of this rain. :)

I have to catch a flight at 7.30pm, so I don't know how much of the first session I can catch at Hong Kong airport.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Thank god that's all over. Don't need any competition for the TV tonight.
Last night the competition late at night was good though.

Australia's unexpected fightback in the cricket, the best finish to a stage yet at the TDF and a close though low key finish to the British Open. And an occasional check on the MotoGP.

Only one thing tonight though

:)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Forecast today is very good (just checked again on the BBC), not sure where this bull about rain has come from. Tomorrow it will rain in London.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The ECB have got a device that makes it rain IMO. If it looks like England will lose, they'll turn it on.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
If anyone's gonna be dropped, I'd drop North for Watson. Harsh, but I think Hussey's a better chance of making runs for the rest of the series.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon we should wait for the tour match before we start throwing heads on the chopping block, Watto may not be in the best of nick.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Love Watto, but honestly at the moment wonder how he's going to fit into the team. If Hussey's run of outs continues to the end of the series, then I'd agree that his place should be in jeopardy, and would like Watson to get a go in his stead. North hasn't done anything - as a batsman - to deserve to lose his place, and I'd be sad to see him lose out on that basis.

The good point about having Watson in the team is that it makes it easier to balance the attack with Hauritz in it, and I think Hauritz has by now done more than Watson at Test level. The downside is that it's unlikely that Watson will be able to sustain the fitness to develop into a Test level bowler, so he'll need to demonstrate he can succeed at this level with the bat which, tbf, he hasn't really done yet. A decent run with injury would help with that obviously.

Last edited: