• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Chubb

International Regular
I may be wrong but I believe Zimbabwe have just qualified for the next world cup? They just beat Namibia at the African Championship.

ripper868

International Coach
I may be wrong but I believe Zimbabwe have just qualified for the next world cup? They just beat Namibia at the African Championship.

I suspect that there would be a specific qualifying tournament nearer to 2027, as 3 years out seems a bit early to be giving the 'Africa 1' qualifying position away.

This tournament is also every 2 years, so there'd be another cycle before the next RWC, so that may well be the one that acts as the qualifier - info on web very scarce with regard to what the qualifying routes actually are for 2027 though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Be nice to see the Zimbas back in the WC.

Produced some fair talent over the years, albeit ending up repping other countries for the most part. There's Pocock, the Beast and Bobby Skinstad off the top of my head.

ripper868

International Coach
George Gregan also.

Just found a vague graphic, that could be true, or could not be, but the Africa 1 spot will go to the winner of the 2025 Africa cup, so Zim are 1 year too early at the moment. Not sure of the legitimacy of said graphic, but it's all I've got.
1722330513738.png

BoyBrumby

Englishman
George Gregan also.

Just found a vague graphic, that could be true, or could not be, but the Africa 1 spot will go to the winner of the 2025 Africa cup, so Zim are 1 year too early at the moment. Not sure of the legitimacy of said graphic, but it's all I've got.
View attachment 41138
Thought he was Zambian? But anyway, yeah, no shortage of talent and with the recent-ish change in eligibility rules I'm sure there's a good few internationals with a Zimba parent or grandparent who've been stood down from their previous rep countries for the requisite three years who might fancy a crack with the lure of a WC spot.

ripper868

International Coach
Thought he was Zambian? But anyway, yeah, no shortage of talent and with the recent-ish change in eligibility rules I'm sure there's a good few internationals with a Zimba parent or grandparent who've been stood down from their previous rep countries for the requisite three years who might fancy a crack with the lure of a WC spot.
Quite right, his mother was Zim, but he is Zam.

But yeah, Zim has a fair share of high quality products.

ripper868

International Coach
**** Fuller don't remind us of such things.
All I have is my early teen memories of the wallabies from 98 to 03ish (despite the Jonny Incident, that RWC was still incredible). We've won 2/5ths of **** all since. Reds 2011 probably the only real highlight (for how they won, vs that they won).

Gregan, Larkham, Roff, Tune, Latham, Burke, Walker with the dazzle, amongst the hard worker types of Grey and Herbert, add in the forwards like Eales, Kefu, Giffin, Finegan, Wilson, Noriega, Paul, G.Smith :wub:.

And then put them against Cullen, Umanga, Kelleher, Kronfeld, Randall, Blackadder, Meuws, Howlett, Rokococko...

Think I need a lie down.

EDIT: Nope, I need a lie down for sure.