• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I mean did the Undertaker ever make any sense?
No, of course not, but that was a gimmick originating in a very cartoons era and managed to last through a combo of Taker being great and "it just works". Debuting a supernatural gimmick in the so-called "reality era" is another thing altogether.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing it off just yet. They could make it work. But I absolutely hated The Fiend character, and this seems to be right out of the same book.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The OG Wyatt Family from NXT was the best iteration imo. I remember watching it as it was in free to air TV back in SA when I was in high school. Once they moved away from the lore being a cult to more supernatural elements it never worked.

Perhaps they needed an Undertaker replacement but the Taker character is so unique that we just accept that he can teleport/rise from the dead etc.

I liked the story behind the Fiend and the rest of Bray's stuff but nothing really fit into a pro wrestling show after the initial Shield feud.

On a side note,I never expected to like Cody as much as I do. I don't know how he does it but you buy him as a goody two shoes.
Nearly everyone (but particularly Rollins and Orton iirc,) who worked with The Fiend character has since come out and said they didn't like it at all and how they felt they went backwards as a result as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I was never a fan of any of the Wyatt incarnations tbh, but original Wyatt family was the best of the lot imo. Apart from that one promo he cut as "Wyndham" when he came back after being fired.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nearly everyone (but particularly Rollins and Orton iirc,) who worked with The Fiend character has since come out and said they didn't like it at all and how they felt they went backwards as a result as well.
It's also come out Vince was insisting on and loving the finishes of those matches. God only knows what he was thinking

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's also come out Vince was insisting on and loving the finishes of those matches. God only knows what he was thinking
Yeah, the Hell in a Cell with Rollins ending in a DQ was one of the signs that the old man really had completely lost his marbles for me (I mean he had lost most of them before that point TBF, but that one really was dire even by his standards).

Bahseph

State Captain
Dynamite rated like 500k this week. Wtf is going on with them.
Have you watched any of their shows recently? Everything seems like it doesn't matter almost. You have WWE telling stories with Cody-Roman,Cody-Rock,The new Bloodline drama,Drew-Punk,Gable being a jerk,Liv and Dom....etc. AEW hasn't been building these stories for a long time. Everything feels hotshotted even when it isn't.

They have the roster to tell some really great stories but I don't know if Tony Khan is the right guy to do it. There is obviously way too much input from the wrestlers themselves. Byran Danielson is a great example to me. Everyone likes him and it's clear be wants to just put on good matches but are AEW using him the best way? Absolutely not. It's wild to me that he hasn't been AEW champ and only losing occasionally when it matters. Does beating him mean as much now as it did when he joined from WWE?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The loss of Cody, Omega and then, more recently, MJF really hurt their star power I think. The whole Elite taking over storyline doesn't really do it for me either. And their big acquisitions like Okada, Ospreay and Mercedes aren't exactly going to be household names to people who don't already like wrestling. And much as I love Jericho (he's probably my all-time fave) he really needs to go away for a while.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And the best thing about AEW in like forever has been Christian Cage. And don't get me wrong, he has been great. But I remember worrying about this when he signed them, as the last thing any aspiring wrestling company needs is for 50+ year old ex-WWE guys to become your main attraction.

Bahseph

State Captain
Christian is a great example. People were invested in him because of his character. They wanted to see him beat. I've watched a couple of Ospreay matches but I don't get him the way I do MJF or peak Hangman.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Quite a cool time for wrestling. I should make an effort to watch the weekly shows as im pretty interested in a lot of the storylines.

Also tempted to make a fantasy booking draft on CW for WWE / AEW shows. Something like we pick who we think will get most "pushed" / "featured" on the card.

1 point for every win on Raw/Smackdown/Collison/Dynamite, 1 point for every main event appearance on those shows.
2 points for a PPV appearance, 4 for a PPV win, 5 points for a main event appearance on PPV.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Quite a cool time for wrestling. I should make an effort to watch the weekly shows as im pretty interested in a lot of the storylines.

Also tempted to make a fantasy booking draft on CW for WWE / AEW shows. Something like we pick who we think will get most "pushed" / "featured" on the card.

1 point for every win on Raw/Smackdown/Collison/Dynamite, 1 point for every main event appearance on those shows.
2 points for a PPV appearance, 4 for a PPV win, 5 points for a main event appearance on PPV.
Would play.