• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in New Zealand

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I have him on a similar sort of level to Chris Nevin, who was on the receiving end of a bit of my teenage grumpiness - dropping what I perceived to be a disproportionate number of straightforward chances, and also frequently getting himself out with the bat. But I'm not sure how fair that is.
Haha I was the biggest Nevin proponent out there. I remember Martin Crowe was right behind him too.

In the end his domestic list A average of 26.8 says perhaps he wasn't the guy.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I remember reading a blog post back in the day written by a Wellington-based woman who met a "former New Zealand wicket keeper" in a bar. When asked about his experience in internationals he admitted that he couldn't even see the ball against the quicker bowlers. She made a hasty exit when he asked her if she'd be keen to come back to his place.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, I remember reading a blog post back in the day written by a Wellington-based woman who met a "former New Zealand wicket keeper" in a bar. When asked about his experience in internationals he admitted that he couldn't even see the ball against the quicker bowlers. She made a hasty exit when he asked her if she'd be keen to come back to his place.
It was Erv McSweeney actually.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely the Basin Reserve is ‘the home of New Zealand cricket’, if anywhere is. It has got the history. Mark Richardson says it is Hagley Oval, which - although a lovely ground - has only been used from relatively recently for international cricket matches.
If you religiously ignored what Mark Richardson said you'd always be a step closer to the truth.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I have him on a similar sort of level to Chris Nevin, who was on the receiving end of a bit of my teenage grumpiness - dropping what I perceived to be a disproportionate number of straightforward chances, and also frequently getting himself out with the bat. But I'm not sure how fair that is.
I think it's incredibly fair. Their records are pretty similar. Nevin got 36 ODIs despite averaging 20, Seifert has played 56 T20Is despite averaging 25 and having shoddy glovework.

ataraxia

International Coach
I think Seifert's raw T20I record is acceptable tbh. The Nicholls of T20s, in his unaesthetic batting and never performing in big matches.

But yes, Seifert is bad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's incredibly fair. Their records are pretty similar. Nevin got 36 ODIs despite averaging 20, Seifert has played 56 T20Is despite averaging 25 and having shoddy glovework.
Nevin was more of a FC bat despite playing so many ODIs and no Tests which was a bit unfair on him. I think generally he was perceived as not being good enough with the gloves to be a Test keeper and not quite good enough with the bat to ever break into the middle order, but they rated him as an ODI opener for god knows what reason.

I always randomly liked him though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nevin was more of a FC bat despite playing so many ODIs and no Tests which was a bit unfair on him. I think generally he was perceived as not being good enough with the gloves to be a Test keeper and not quite good enough with the bat to ever break into the middle order, but they rated him as an ODI opener for god knows what reason.

I always randomly liked him though.
They followed the Kaluwitharana model off the back of the 96 World Cup, did they not? Gilchrist obviously had become a thing, too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The Australian Open seems to have games running until the early AM. Could you start a T20 game at say 9pm/10pm local time in NZ to accommodate the timezone issue ?
That's not unique to the AO though is it? Seems a lot of tennis matches, especially finals, start late and can run into the early hours.