• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think the reports were that Aqib was even younger than that, but I may be wrong. Anyway he was one of Imran's picks, as I remember. Was the other one Ata-ur-Rehman?
Good memory on his age according to cricinfo
Aqib Javed was allegedly only 16 when he made his Test debut in 1988-89
I think you are right on the other chap I don't remember him personally but found this quote on him

"‘I am of course itching to play, but ... I remember Imran Khan picking me up from nets and very soon I was playing for Pakistan but things changed. Sadly I am not there.’’

source No regrets, says Ata-ur

Woodster

International Captain
On the plus side for Australia, Johnson is really turning out to be a quality allrounder. His batting today was extremely good and had he batted at say 7 may have made a half ton. In the end he really only got out because he realised he had to hit out or get out because he was going to lose partners.
aye agree with that. johnson's got the talent to be the all-rounder flintoff's made out to be.
There is no doubting that Johnson strikes a sweet ball and on his day can be a most penetrative pace bowler, however, I don't see him batting any higher than 8 for some time yet. He is a long way from being recognised as a genuine all-rounder, similar to Stuart Broad, these guys are capable of making handy runs down the order, but must focus on their main discipline of bowling.

Woodster

International Captain
Big day coming up for Pakistan that may dictate the outcome of this Test. Having done exceptionally well to restrict Australia on day one, can the batting now back some fine bowling and play some proper Test cricket innings.

Johnson, Bollinger and Siddle will be charging in knowing how much they need a performance from these guys, can Pakistan front up to the inevitable intensity and aggression Australia will no doubt place upon them ?

Woodster

International Captain
Sun's out, but there is plenty of cloud floating around, so overhead conditions should help Aussies pace attack, and while the pitch doesn't look quite as green, there is still plenty of live green grass around to assist any movement off the track. Need to get it in the right areas, Siddle just dropping a little short in his opening over, both he and Bolly need to get these Pakistani's (with a losse-ish technique) coming forward and driving.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Ooooooh, that was close! That should've been caught for sure. First Aus do a fair impression of Pakistan's batting order and collapse, and now they're copying their fielding as well!

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Yes that delivery was a much better length and a very loose flashy drive that should have been comfortably snaffled by North, bit of a dolly really.

Woodster

International Captain
No doubt North saw Haddin make a movement in the corner of his eye, but should still have had no problem in keeping hold of it.

Woodster

International Captain
Siddle settling into a really good spell now, has found a decent length got it nipping about and unfortunately for him is bowling without much luck.

Woodster

International Captain
It's worth noting this isn't the first time i've made such a prediction :p
Surely none have been as ambitious as this one, and you've actually been correct!

I think Johnson will pick up a few here, if he continues throwing it up there, though may trouble the right-handers a touch more.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
North has to go, honestly. But who should come in is the 10 dollar question.
If Hughes pulls a grand innings out of his butt in the 2nd dig Katich might slot back into the middle order, or they'll drop Watson down the order. Or bring in Chris Rogers or George Bailey (depending on what role needs filling).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely none have been as ambitious as this one, and you've actually been correct!

I think Johnson will pick up a few here, if he continues throwing it up there, though may trouble the right-handers a touch more.
I meant it's not the first time I've said "Johnson to take 10" :p