• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I won't stoop to your level by calling you names: your post speaks for itself. Since you've just demonstrated that you don't understand the use of the conditional in what I sincerely hope is not your mother tongue, let me break down what I wrote for you, highlighting (and explaining the significance of) key words:

I wrote:

I've asked this question before: if, as I've predicted, Bell averages less than 20 in this series, what would be the attitude of his many defenders on this forum? That that level of performance is an aberration? That would be a very unintelligent, nay, delusional way of interpreting the data, given what has gone before.

In the above extract I reiterate my prediction that Bell will average less than 20. Everything that follows is CONDITIONAL upon that. I have acknowledged that it hasn't happened yet by using "if" after the colon, and then made use of the conditional in asking "what would be the attitude" of Bell's many defenders should my prediction come to pass. Then finally there is an implied "if" (if his defenders were to respond that averaging less than 20 in this series was just a blip) before I allow myself another conditional "that would be very unintelligent, nay delusional".

I can't believe you're sincerely raging along the lines of "how about we wait to see whether it happens, Nostradamus", when I couldn't have made it clearer that I was dealing in hypotheticals by my use of "if", "would" and other conditional constructions. Perhaps you're not just thick, and would react just as furiously upon receiving the following advice from your wife or mother, "you ought to take your umbrella darling; if you were to get caught in the rain, you would get very wet and might catch pneumonia":

"Well Nostradamus, how about we wait to see IF it rains, BEFORE accusing me of being the sort of person who could EVER catch pneumonia." :laugh:

As for your other question, if Bell does average 40+, or even 30+, I will come here and humbly admit to having been wrong about him. I have no problems whatsoever admitting when I'm wrong. What I will not do is react with "a massive shrug of the shoulders". And go on to claim that "people read far too much into individual series averages; a series average of 20 would prove nothing other than Bell wasn't in prime form for the duration of the series."

Given Bell's history of embarrassingly inept performances whenever he has been confronted with a balanced attack, that would be almost as stupid as your last post.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude I love your posts..Just ****ing brilliant. I am at work now and I keep cracking up reading your posts and my colleagues are giving me weird looks :laugh:

I think people like you are an asset on a public forum because your style challenges people to re examine opinions they have comfortably held for some time.

I do think that Ian Bell is a good player and your posts made me examine mine. I'll give you my reasons why I think he is a good player..Given that he is 29 years old, he still has enough cricket left in him for me to change my opinion (it could be that he is great, or he is average).

He had a disappointing 2005 Ashes no doubt and that was an instance of him failing against a great attack. I saw him in Pakistan in 2005 and I thought he was very good in this series, although the pitches were flat, he was up against an Akhtar who had the best series of his career and a Kaneria who usually takes 50 overs to take anything over 4 wickets but surprisingly had a good series then.
Commentators, especially English ones have always described him as a very good player of spin, perhaps England's best.. I saw him do a good job in Pakistan in 05 (although against an average spinner), I thought he did a decent job in Sri Lanka in 07 against Murali. But not good enough to be considered the best by any means.

I don't recall his 199 against South Africa against Steyn but I don't think you can dismiss that because it was a pretty good South African attack. But the rest of the series was pretty meh.

I did see the 2009 series in South Africa and this is when I thought he had really improved because I did not expect that century and it was that partnership with Collingwood that sealed the match for England. Then in the 3rd test I thought he and Collingwood saved England one more time.

Against Pakistan, he does have a few centuries in 2006 but that was against a pretty weak attack with Akhtar and Asif injured but if you think Gul is a good test bowler, then Gul was in that attack.

I saw the entire Ashes 2010 and I was very impressed with his performance here. I don't think you can just dismiss that Australian attack as crap because some of the same bowlers are doing extremely well in the current series against India. Yes Hiflenhaus and Siddle have improved but you can't be crap in 2010 and awesome in 2011.. You can be good in 2010 and very good in 2011. Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Johnson are very good bowlers and if they weren't very good in the Ashes, you have to credit the English batsmen on how well they played them. The same attack won Australia a series in South Africa in 09.

In the first test I thought he was very good, and could have easily gotten a hundred had he batted up the order. In the end he just ran out of partners and Siddle was bowling really well in that innings. He looked extremely improved in 2010 Ashes and had he batted higher, I am sure he could have scored at least another century.

However in cricket you are not judged by what you could have done but what you have done. Given that he has had a phenomenal run since then, I would not be too harsh on him after one test match, especially because it is extremely difficult to pick Ajmal and I don't think he has played him before. People like Tendulkar and Sangakkara,who are considered better than Bell have failed to read Ajmal..so I would give him two more test matches. In fact I will be very interested to see how the improved Bell fares in Sri Lanka and India where England would be playing in the next 1 year. If he fails, I will not consider him a good player of spin bowling.

Since I believe that he has vastly improved since the last 2 years, I will give him a few more series, he will get ample opportunity to face a range of attacks under different conditions and that will determine how he will go down as a batsman.

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude I love your posts..Just ****ing brilliant. I am at work now and I keep cracking up reading your posts and my colleagues are giving me weird looks :laugh:

I think people like you are an asset on a public forum because your style challenges people to re examine opinions they have comfortably held for some time.

I do think that Ian Bell is a good player and your posts made me examine mine. I'll give you my reasons why I think he is a good player..Given that he is 29 years old, he still has enough cricket left in him for me to change my opinion (it could be that he is great, or he is average).

He had a disappointing 2005 Ashes no doubt and that was an instance of him failing against a great attack. I saw him in Pakistan in 2005 and I thought he was very good in this series, although the pitches were flat, he was up against an Akhtar who had the best series of his career and a Kaneria who usually takes 50 overs to take anything over 4 wickets but surprisingly had a good series then.
Commentators, especially English ones have always described him as a very good player of spin, perhaps England's best.. I saw him do a good job in Pakistan in 05 (although against an average spinner), I thought he did a decent job in Sri Lanka in 07 against Murali. But not good enough to be considered the best by any means.

I don't recall his 199 against South Africa against Steyn but I don't think you can dismiss that because it was a pretty good South African attack. But the rest of the series was pretty meh.

I did see the 2009 series in South Africa and this is when I thought he had really improved because I did not expect that century and it was that partnership with Collingwood that sealed the match for England. Then in the 3rd test I thought he and Collingwood saved England one more time.

Against Pakistan, he does have a few centuries in 2006 but that was against a pretty weak attack with Akhtar and Asif injured but if you think Gul is a good test bowler, then Gul was in that attack.

I saw the entire Ashes 2010 and I was very impressed with his performance here. I don't think you can just dismiss that Australian attack as crap because some of the same bowlers are doing extremely well in the current series against India. Yes Hiflenhaus and Siddle have improved but you can't be crap in 2010 and awesome in 2011.. You can be good in 2010 and very good in 2011. Hilfenhaus, Siddle, Johnson are very good bowlers and if they weren't very good in the Ashes, you have to credit the English batsmen on how well they played them. The same attack won Australia a series in South Africa in 09.

In the first test I thought he was very good, and could have easily gotten a hundred had he batted up the order. In the end he just ran out of partners and Siddle was bowling really well in that innings. He looked extremely improved in 2010 Ashes and had he batted higher, I am sure he could have scored at least another century.

However in cricket you are not judged by what you could have done but what you have done. Given that he has had a phenomenal run since then, I would not be too harsh on him after one test match, especially because it is extremely difficult to pick Ajmal and I don't think he has played him before. People like Tendulkar and Sangakkara,who are considered better than Bell have failed to read Ajmal..so I would give him two more test matches. In fact I will be very interested to see how the improved Bell fares in Sri Lanka and India where England would be playing in the next 1 year. If he fails, I will not consider him a good player of spin bowling.

Since I believe that he has vastly improved since the last 2 years, I will give him a few more series, he will get ample opportunity to face a range of attacks under different conditions and that will determine how he will go down as a batsman.
Thanks for the kind words. You're the first to explain WHY you think Bell should be rated more highly than I do, and you make some valid points - such as pointing out that true elite batsmen such as Sanga and Tendulkar have also had problems picking Ajmal. Your review of Bell's career also highlights some performances which I had overlooked. I disagree through about the Australian attack of the last Ashes: it was for the most part pure garbage. Johnson is just disgraceful, Siddle was bowling too short and was not getting anything like the movement he is now and Hilf was a completely different bowler then. Slower, less consistent, not bowling to a plan etc.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the current series; if Bell manages to average 30 + then I will admit I was wrong and accept your claim that he has improved over the past two years. If he averages 40+ (as he should) then I will go further and accept not only that the technical and temperamental issues which more often than not in the past have kept him from making runs for his team in pressure situations and under difficult conditions have been cured, but also that England have a world class number 5 that they can rely on in all conditions.

Eds

International Debutant
Out with a sore back according to Strauss. Taken Chris 5 years to get to 49 test wickets, any genuine bowlers done it slower for 50? Aside from bowlers disrupted by the 2 World Wars.
It's not as if he would have been in the side for half of that, though. Whilst at Hampshire, he simply wasn't good enough for Test level.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Jack Cowie took 45 wickets over a 12-year career (including the war), and Learie Constantine took 58 over an 11-year career (not including the war).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Out with a sore back according to Strauss. Taken Chris 5 years to get to 49 test wickets, any genuine bowlers done it slower for 50? Aside from bowlers disrupted by the 2 World Wars.
Bob Willis took five and a half years to pass the 50 mark.
Made his debut in January 1971 and passed the 50 wicket mark in July 1976.

Geoff Arnold took almost six years: August 1967 to July 1973.

Flintoff took five and a half years - from July 1998 to December 2003.

Without checking, Phil Edmonds probably took over five years: after debuting in 1975, he barely played under Brearley, or under Willis before becoming a regular in the mid 1980s.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swann must have took a while too, assuming he played in his first stint with England.

Never mind it was just ODIs he played. I'm sure there are plenty who've had a large gap.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah. Sidebottom would be a more literal example - Test debut in 2001, picks up his 50th wicket in 2008.
Good call. Actually Sidebottom's a perfect example of what we're looking for: picked once or twice when not ready then came back a few years later and made a decent fist of it.

Edmonds also took 7 years, btw - from 1975 to 1982, despite playing more tests than I'd remembered.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh yeah. Sidebottom would be a more literal example - Test debut in 2001, picks up his 50th wicket in 2008.
Jimmeh must've taken a wee while - debuted in May 2003 but only had 108 Test scalps to his name at the start of the Flower/Strauss era.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we getting Finn then? I hope so, it seems deserved that he's next in line, and it's good to keep developing him I reckon.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmeh must've taken a wee while - debuted in May 2003 but only had 108 Test scalps to his name at the start of the Flower/Strauss era.
Anderson was one of the guys I checked earlier. iirc it took him four years to reach 50 test wickets. Similar to Trueman and Caddick, fwiw.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If we do go for Finn I hope it's because they think he's the most likely to pick up a bagful and not because of some misguided notion of a pecking order.

Not convinced it'll be his pitch, myself.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'm still banking on Jon Lewis making a England comeback this summer now he's moved to Surrey and getting to 50 wickets. Possibly even Mike Smith - Damn you Graham Thorpe.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If we do go for Finn I hope it's because they think he's the most likely to pick up a bagful and not because of some misguided notion of a pecking order.

Not convinced it'll be his pitch, myself.
Well I just mean that if we said he was next best a few months ago, he's still the next best now.

I'm not into all this chopping and changing which quicks you use depending on the conditions. Just pick the best attack you have and let them get on with it IMO. I reckon picking for the pitch just leads to confusion in the long run.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well I just mean that if we said he was next best a few months ago, he's still the next best now.

I'm not into all this chopping and changing which quicks you use depending on the conditions. Just pick the best attack you have and let them get on with it IMO. I reckon picking for the pitch just leads to confusion in the long run.
I see what you mean, but I'm of the other opinion. What you call "chopping and changing" I see as flexibility.

We've seen the crims make the mistake of picking four quicks on decks likely to take a bit of turn in both the last Ashes series (The Oval & The MCG) because it'd worked on notoriously seam friendly pitches in the previous games (Headingley & The WACA). Same principle in the UAE for me; if Onions is more likely to take wickets he should get the nod. But equally at Lords in May Finn or Tremmers might be the shout.

Monty would be my call tho.