• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Disagree, express pace and genuine reverse swing is distinctly lacking, which is s big hole given the reputation.
I'm not sure which reputation you are talking about. Everyone knows that there is no express speed merchant in the English team; even the media never made such claims. And by and large, Anderson has been a very effective reverse swing exponent.

The reputation is that they are a good, disciplined bunch of performers who complement each other well and strike collectively. No individual superstars, but a world class bowling attack as a group. Not a million miles away from the truth that, huh?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Morkel hasn't been in good form, but that doesn't mean much. He is by no means a bad bowler. I certainly wouldn't be calling him 'crap'.
This isn't the first time he's gone completely missing though, and he's almost Johnsonesque in how bad he gets when he does...

Meanwhile, Broad bowls an absolutely ridiculous ball. Play that.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Orthodox swing is infinitely more important than reverse swing. But Anderson is a decent reverse merchant.
The point was about bowling in these conditions, and reverse swing in this case is more important than conventional swing, on balance.

Anderson has tried but not been that successful, an attack with genuine pace and ability to reverse would have bowled pak out by now.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Yeah Morkel hasn't been in good form, but that doesn't mean much. He is by no means a bad bowler. I certainly wouldn't be calling him 'crap'.
Not on the whole. But since small sample sizes are being considered, Morkel's abysmal bowling in the last year ought to be weighed heavily. That's only fair!

Either that or Philander should not be rated so highly either because of such a small sample size.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Misbah ul Haq please retire from cricket.

I would rather have the likes of Umar Amin and Asad Shafiq in the team who will fail but at least they'll fail because they are not good enough..they won't hand the match to England on a platter from a commanding position like this.

Spark

Global Moderator
The point was about bowling in these conditions, and reverse swing in this case is more important than conventional swing, on balance.

Anderson has tried but not been that successful, an attack with genuine pace and ability to reverse would have bowled pak out by now.
A flat, subcontinental style pitch doesn't automatically mean reverse.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
I'm not sure which reputation you are talking about. Everyone knows that there is no express speed merchant in the English team; even the media never made such claims. And by and large, Anderson has been a very effective reverse swing exponent.

The reputation is that they are a good, disciplined bunch of performers who complement each other well and strike collectively. No individual superstars, but a world class bowling attack as a group. Not a million miles away from the truth that, huh?
Not a million miles away from the truth, maybe 750,000 miles away? so england has no superstars but a worldclass attack?

I would like to see Anderson prove his adeptness at reverse in these conditions, a few have argued how good he is at it.

smash84

The Tiger King

I would rather have the likes of Umar Amin and Asad Shafiq in the team who will fail but at least they'll fail because they are not good enough..they won't hand the match to England on a platter from a commanding position like this.
BW please retire from CW.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
P
That's an on-paper comparison.

In practice it's been a non-contest for a couple of years now. England have been miles and miles and miles better.
Philander has only been playing five seconds though. Since he's come into the side they've won three and lost one (by two wickets, which was the fault of their first innings batting).

It reminds me of when I said England had a better team than India. Sure, if you looked at medium-term results then India were ahead, but that didn't change the fact that the team England were putting out at the time was better; some personnel had changed and some had noticeably improved. Look how that debate worked out.

Its very close between the attacks now, IMO, and I think anyone trying to suggest one is "a good deal" better than the other is a bit off. I'd probably take South Africa's right now if I really had to choose, with Kallis's admittedly deteriorating bowling the tie-breaker. its really close though and I don't have any issue with people saying its England; I just take issue with people saying its comfortably one or the other based on pretty silly reasons like Tremlett not taking a stack of wickeys today or a bowler who's not even amongst South Africa's first six choices anymore being ineffective two years ago.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not a million miles away from the truth, maybe 750,000 miles away? so england has no superstars but a worldclass attack?

I would like to see Anderson prove his adeptness at reverse in these conditions, a few have argued how good he is at it.
I think you'll find that's based on Anderson actually bowling reverse swing in Test matches. cf Sydney last year.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Misbah is a sort of bloke he needs a flair to be batting with him this is why his partnership with Younis was so important.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just some bad, bad posts over the last couple of pages.

This deck has had absolutely nothing in it for the bowlers. It's to the English attack's credit that a) they've got Pakistan 5 down and b) they haven't let Pakistan run away with the match and dictate terms. England are still very much in the game, if they can restrict Pakistan to a lead of less than 100, then the bowlers will have done a great job.

They're up against a good, disciplined batting lineup on a pitch with nothing in it. Anyone expecting England to just turn up and run through the Pakistani line up is just stupid.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

:wacko: