• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Steyn>>Anderson, Morkel>Broad, Philander>Tremlett

Now it's a question of whether Swann is soooo far ahead of SA's 4th bowler (maybe their 4th pacer De Lange, who looked promising so far) that it out-does the other 3. I don't think so. It's closer IMO if you replace Tremlett with Bresnan. SA is still comfortably ahead IMO.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
England's seamers have done about as well as you can do in these conditions without being Waqar Younis or Joel Garner. Swann has been pretty ****e however.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Another 50-60 runs should be handy here. I am confident we can stop England from scoring 300 and can chase atleast 180-200.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think Morkel is the worst of all those bowlers tbh.
All Broad has in his favor is the India series. He was pretty crap before that. I don't rate Morkel too highly too, but I think Broad needs to repeat his good work in one more big series before he is deemed better than Morkel IMO. It's close between them ATM.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I wouldn't. More than 20% of all CWers are stupid hicks.
Haven't been here as long as you have. Maybe my impression would change with time; right now it's a very good one! :)

Steyn>>Anderson, Morkel>Broad, Philander>Tremlett
More like Steyn > Anderson, Broad >~ Morkel, Philander >~ Tremlett/Bresnan (sample size is important) and Swann >>> Tahir, in my books.

On the whole, the English are better rounded, have a ridiculously good reserve strength and at least on paper, have an attack well-suited to all sorts of conditions.

Spark

Global Moderator
All Broad has in his favor is the India series. He was pretty crap before that. I don't rate Morkel too highly too, but I think Broad needs to repeat his good work in one more big series before he is deemed better than Morkel IMO. It's close between them ATM.
Broad's work against India is as long as Philander's career to date though. And he didn't bowl in the SL series, granted, but before that he was actually bowling quite well.

In either case if it came down to picking either one in the team, I think it's pretty obvious which of the two you'd go for.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Philander >>>>Tsotsobe. Tahir > Harris.
While Philander's emergence has been brilliant, Morkel has looked rank all season. I'm sure that's to be factored too.

And while Tahir is an improvement from Harris, he cannot be compared to his English counterpart. Still believe that England are more varied and have greater depth by a good margin.

South African attack, in my books (on 18th Jan, 2012) = Steyn + Philander + inconsistent crap. Too much dependant on Steyn and Philander is yet to be tested in conditions outside South Africa.

Last edited:

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
England's seamers have done about as well as you can do in these conditions without being Waqar Younis or Joel Garner. Swann has been pretty ****e however.
Disagree, express pace and genuine reverse swing is distinctly lacking, which is s big hole given the reputation.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Misbah ul Haq please retire from cricket.

I would rather have the likes of Umar Amin and Asad Shafiq in the team who will fail but at least they'll fail because they are not good enough..they won't hand the match to England on a platter from a commanding position like this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Disagree, express pace and genuine reverse swing is distinctly lacking, which is s big hole given the reputation.
Orthodox swing is infinitely more important than reverse swing. But Anderson is a decent reverse merchant.

Spark

Global Moderator
While Philander's emergence has been brilliant, Morkel has looked rank all season. I'm sure that's to be factored too.

And while Tahir is an improvement from Harris, he cannot be compared to his English counterpart. Still believe that England are more varied and have greater depth by a good margin.

South African attack, in my books (on 18th Jan, 2012) = Steyn + Philander + inconsistent crap. Too much dependant on Steyn and Philander is yet to be tested in conditions outside South Africa.
Spot on. Not all that much has changed from last year - they have half an attack. Half an absolutely awesome attack, but only half.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Outfield looks pretty lush. Not sure how much reverse swing you're going to get... and if you get any you're only going to get it maybe 10 -15 overs before the new ball is due.

Ruckus

International Captain

South African attack, in my books (on 17th Jan 2012) = Steyn + Philander + crap + crap. Too much dependant on Steyn and Philander is yet to be tested in conditions outside South Africa.
Yeah Morkel hasn't been in good form, but that doesn't mean much. He is by no means a bad bowler. I certainly wouldn't be calling him 'crap'.