• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha I remember our conversations about Fawad Alam a couple of years back, or even Misbah in 2010 when he was recalled after being dropped for a poor Australia series in 2009-10. Interesting how your position has evolved a little bit, and I have gone in a slightly opposite direction. I take FC records a bit more seriously than I did a few years ago.
Misbah and Fawad are great examples of players who have had long careers of FC awesomeness though, hence "long term view".

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It may sometimes happen that one becomes tougher mentally and develops a better temperament after having underwhelmed in their first international stint.

Not always discernible to the selectors' eyes either.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
And Buttler, Moeen and Stokes are in the team for more reasons than just their batting. Your going to be judged by your overall contribution to the team.
I'd mainly agree with that - although I do think the wicket-keeper role in test cricket is changed and I think teams are looking for a batting average of around 35-40. Bowling all rounders you'd probably take batting and bowling averages in the 30s as about par, ideally with a lower bowling average than batting. Buttler's batting average must be falling to danger territory in terms of future selection. I think the selectors will look to give Taylor a shot at some point and if Bairstow makes 50 plus tomorrow and Buttler fails it wouldn't shock me if Buttler gets left out. If Bairstow hits a ton plus it might be a more difficult call as he would be on his way to cementing his place in the team.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
"It opened the door a little and after Moeen had taken his 50th Test wicket in dismissing Sarfraz Ahmed for 32, he, together with Rashid and Mark Wood, were able to finish things off, Wood ending with 3 for 39 and Moeen 3 for 108. Curiously, Moeen becomes the 18th England spinner since the second world war to take 50 or more wickets, and has the best strike rate of them all. Against that, though, his economy rate of almost four runs per over is the only one that exceeds three. But, as the next on that second list is Graeme Swann, it perhaps tells as much about the times as the bowler." from The Guardian online. Never would have thought that about Ali!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On the Bairstow debate, he is clearly not up to it and his inclusion is only being championed by biased Yorkies determined to introduce their stupid French ways to the England side.

Having said that, to be fair to Bairstow, he has done everything he could reasonably do and is far too young to place in the "never pick this hopeless **** again" box that Ramprakash found himself in after 2001, particularly given his achievements in County Cricket. He at least deserves a proper run in the side of at least 2 full series before he gets binned back to the Championship where he can shovel as many runs as he wants for Yorkshire.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
On the Bairstow selection, everyone seems to have a strong opinion one way or the other and I can see merit in both arguments.

But the blokes 27no atm and has a golden opportunity to set this test up for us.......lets just see what the lad can do from here and get behind him. I think this discussion mid innings is a little premature given what happens next could very well change some peoples opinions.

91Jmay

International Coach
He looked awful against Shah early but when he got in can see why selectors like him. Has ability to score runs quickly.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the Bairstow debate, he is clearly not up to it and his inclusion is only being championed by biased Yorkies determined to introduce their stupid French ways to the England side.

Having said that, to be fair to Bairstow, he has done everything he could reasonably do and is far too young to place in the "never pick this hopeless **** again" box that Ramprakash found himself in after 2001, particularly given his achievements in County Cricket. He at least deserves a proper run in the side of at least 2 full series before he gets binned back to the Championship where he can shovel as many runs as he wants for Yorkshire.
Totally agree with this but as he is not out overnight he deserves support. The fact is (in a Rafa Benitez way) he has been slaughtered ever since he returned to the side. If he fails after both winter tours he returns to the county championship for the rest of his career unless he becomes the keeper averaging 30+ (if he manages it) if they dump Buttler. I have been clear on this all along since he returned. I have doubts about him but not as many as I do about the batting ability of Bell and Buttler at present.

It will all come out in the wash anyway, just hope during it England can win.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Bairstow has got a horrible looking technique, much worse than he used to have, but then I have as many coaching badges as I've scored First Class runs - good luck to the lad - I hope he and Root put on 300 tomorrow, and that Rashid then bowls Pakistan out again - if all the Yorkshire lads keep doing well for England and as a result they're not allowed to play in the Roses matches next season I'll be happy - especially as it seems pretty clear we'll have Buttler back

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Morning all.

Any news on Shafiq?
How could you possibly find any information on a guy who has played 40 or so tests over the last few years where most have been on telly.

This is becoming a common place thing now - just the lack of preparation that these seasoned cw posters put into their work these days. Only a handful make an effort to do some research, prep work before turning up FFS Howe. do your job and prepare for a day's play; it's not that hard. Even if you just delegated the actual cricket-watching to others before they posted and read from notes it'd be a huge improvement.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is what was needed from Wahab.. he needed to learn how to take different types of wickets..not just using the short ball to bounce the batsman out.. Happy with this stuff.. needed Root within the first hour and Wahab gets it