• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2014

dermo

International Vice-Captain
**** i hate watching south sydney, it's teams like them that will kill the game. pretty much every player is big enough to play prop and everything revolves around power running and little skill, with a pindick of halfback with a good boot kicking off the back of it. heaps of wrestle in the tackle to which just kills the game

if rugby union continues to have seasons like this one and more teams play like the waratahs and more league teams play like souths then watch union grow and league die

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
if rugby union continues to have seasons like this one and more teams play like the waratahs and more league teams play like souths then watch union grow and league die
You mean the season with the final featuring 16 penalties/conversions against 3 tries? Spare me. Fair play if that's your thing but watching that just isn't ever going to appeal to some people.

The "Rugby League is dying" hysterics have to be some of the most unfounded bull**** I get to read on the internet. The game isn't going anywhere.

And I actually really enjoy watching Souths. The game against Manly last week was great viewing.

ripper868

International Coach
You mean the Origin Game 2 featuring 70 minutes of ref abuse and 2 tries? Spare me. Fair play if that's your thing but watching that just isn't ever going to appeal to some people.

The "Rugby Union is dying" hysterics have to be some of the most unfounded bull**** I get to read on the internet. The game isn't going anywhere.

And I actually really enjoy watching Southern districts. The game against the Sydney University was great viewing.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Ripper I don't think Rugby Union is dying, Dermo was suggesting League could die at Union's expense which I was suggesting is rubbish. I think both sports will probably continue to operate with a similar share to the Australian sporting market that they currently occupy. Suggesting that Union/Soccer/AFL is going to kill Leauge is garbage that has been bandied around for decades by people who like laying the boot into the code.

My point is that people who like League will probably continue to watch it over Union and vice-versa (as both our posts probably demonstrate). Neither Union or League are offering anything different than they have in previous years.

If League does die it's sure not going to be players of the caliber of Inglis and Burgess that contributes to it.

ripper868

International Coach
I agree 100% and apologise for the above. I think the only sport to have undergone any sort of 'death' in Australia would be basketball in the 90/00s.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree 100% and apologise for the above. I think the only sport to have undergone any sort of 'death' in Australia would be basketball in the 90/00s.
No worries mate. I'm sure you've read your share of trash regarding Union dying etc.

I think all 4 of the ball sports are pretty secure for their own reasons. Soccer probably faces the most similar challenges to Basketball (competition from a much stronger overseas league, strong participation that doesn't translate as strongly into attendence) but the interest in the Socceroos is so high that it'll probably carry the A-League if it hits a lengthy downturn.

dermo

**** how much better is league when the refs don't blow penalties, out of the 4 football codes the refs decisions have by far the biggest impact on the game in league. theres no contest for possession so the majority of penalties are always going to give one team a shot at a try. the dogs wouldnt have been in that game last night if it wasnt for the refs, their first 2 tries both coming off the back of nothing penalties. ****s me no end to see a team be punished so much for something in a tackle that has very little bearing on the game especially when compared to the impact of a penalty. next time you watch a game count how many tries are off the back of penalties for a nothing push in a tackle

the refs are going to cop a lot of **** for that 40/20 ruling last night but they should be applauded for how they controlled the second half, i can barely remember a penalty and the game was better for it

dermo

so after all this theres going to be a handful of players suspended for what? like 3 games?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doping Bans Accepted

Huge news

Give us our Origin trophy back!
And give the WC to England .........

Anyway, what a joke!

Players are either guilty or they're not

If the former, then it's 2 years not 3 weeks

Australia now has no right to point the finger at anybody else as we are officially the biggest hypocrites on the planet where drugs in sport are concerned

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The juggernaut has well as truly stirred now. Parra will get on a roll all the way to the second week of the finals where Melbourne will put 60 on them.

There's so many points in that side it's ridiculous. That second half display was insane footy. Up tempo and relentless.

Dermo's point about penalties and their impact is spot on though. And the baffling decisions continue. How Sandow was denied that try last night is beyond me. It's been a try since 1908. Gower went through the line and impeded no one. There'll be a similar one tonight and it'll be given. No wonder players get the ****s.

And Brad Arthur - best signing by Parra in years.

uvelocity

International Coach
nah gotta say i dont like players running behind other players, even though nobody was actually impeded. they could have curled up into the foetal position, and would have done last year, but it only seemed to rev them up. in a great headspace at the moment.