• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v World XI

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Bracewell's latest method is for every player from 1-11 to practice hitting 6's at training.

Fiery

Banned
Tim said:
Apparently Bracewell's latest method is for every player from 1-11 to practice hitting 6's at training.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
It worked for Flem!
Apparently Daryl Tuffey can smack the ball just as far as anyone batting both left and right-handed.

Ming

State 12th Man
rogerramjet said:
It sounds to me like you're a huge fan of Cumming. The stats just don't support your argument. I haven't even heard him mentioned as an option in the media; quite rightly too IMHO.
I'm not a huge fan of Cumming. Well, I'm sure it's the media that selects the Test team rogerramjet.

I'm just suggested Cumming as an option as an opener, a batsman who has been very consistent with the bat this season.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Cumming has probably been the most consistent opener so far in the State Championship. He may have a slightly lesser average than others...but the key is that he's at least getting a decent score every match rather than hitting 3 hundreds & a fifty and then trailing off.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Crowd building up nicely, should be almost full for the 2nd innings when more people come from work at 5.

Fiery

Banned
He's too old and already shown he's not good enough.
Do we really want to pick a 30 year old who has proven he wasn't up to international class in the 10 one-dayers he played. I know you'll say test match cricket is different but I've seen enough of him in domestic cricket as well to know he's a fairly ordinary sort of player. Much better off investing in someone younger like How or bringing back Papps or even Vincent. Cumming would be about 6th in line if I was a selector, but I'm not so you could prove me wrong. I hope not.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe Fleming & Sinclair should do the job against Australia..and then for the Sri Lankan series would should seriously start looking at Papps & How.

Sinclair is not an opener..I know he's wanting to play whenever he can, but I think the right call needs to be made between him & the selectors that he shouldn't be opening in tests.

Unfortunately we don't have an 'A' series at home this season so How & Papps would have to rely on State Championship form.

Ming

State 12th Man
Fiery said:
He's too old and already shown he's not good enough.
Do we really want to pick a 30 year old who has proven he wasn't up to international class in the 10 one-dayers he played. I know you'll say test match cricket is different but I've seen enough of him in domestic cricket as well to know he's a fairly ordinary sort of player. Much better off investing in someone younger like How or bringing back Papps or even Vincent. Cumming would be about 6th in line if I was a selector, but I'm not so you could prove me wrong. I hope not.
Maybe I could use your tune:

"Oh Vincent has been tried in nearly 50 ODIs and only has an average of 20, and his Test record is inconsistent, He's been tried and shown he's not good enough. Do we want to pick him who hasn't proved himself in the 50 ODIs he has played?"

I would never consider Vincent as a Test opener again, he's a middle order batsman.

I would play Fleming and Sinclair opening against the Aussies as well, and wait until April to blood another opener.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
that's right..well there shouldn't really be any excuses then for Wellingtonians to not fill up the stadium.

Fiery

Banned
Ming said:
Maybe I could use your tune:

"Oh Vincent has been tried in nearly 50 ODIs and only has an average of 20, and his Test record is inconsistent, He's been tried and shown he's not good enough. Do we want to pick him who hasn't proved himself in the 50 ODIs he has played?"

I would never consider Vincent as a Test opener again, he's a middle order batsman.

I would play Fleming and Sinclair opening against the Aussies as well, and wait until April to blood another opener.
I would hope we never have to consider Lou Vincent as an opener either or in the middle order but he's a far superior batsman than Craig Cumming which doesn't say much for his chances. I agree with you that Fleming and Sinclair should open the batting against Australia in the tests. I would have considered Astle to open with Flem but now that Oram is gone my top 6 would be:

Fleming
Sinclair
Fulton
Styris
Astle
McMillan

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
thank god Doug Cowie doesn't really umpire internationals anymore...he's a bit of a disgrace.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
that's right..well there shouldn't really be any excuses then for Wellingtonians to not fill up the stadium.
The weather...

i was going to go with a group of ppl.. but we decided not to due to the weather :(

turned out nice thou now