• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
see there are six players of colour all picked on merit

can't wait for firdose to call this a win for quotas even though they're all there on merit so the quotas don't matter
Biggest issue will be when AB comes back... obvious is dropping Duminy.... but that really turns SA into a pure 4 man attack unless Elgar starts doing some lifting.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Would rather have had Van Zyl than Duminy but overall, solid XI.
fair call though duminy still has a feasible argument to be there so he's not a massive out of the blue selection

my problem with quotas is they can only harm the team or do nothing new, because we have moved past not picking players because they're black, so all they do is either lead to players being picked who shouldn't be there, or leads to the players of colour being picked when they would still get picked anyway so they're inconsequential

StephenZA

Van Zyl is absolutely garbage. Refuse to believe there isn't a better batsmen in SA than him.
van Zyl pretty good actually... had a real tough intro to Test cricket having to open (not normal position) with a tour in subcontinent. But they are some real good youngsters that may leap frog him soon.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think van Zyl would've done a lot better against England if he hadn't been thrown into the deep end against Ashwin and Jadeja. His confidence looked shot after the India tour. I think his footwork, especially against spin needs a hell of a lot of work, but he's still obviously talented imo. Some time away from the team not necessarily the worst thing for him.

91Jmay

International Coach
van Zyl pretty good actually... had a real tough intro to Test cricket having to open (not normal position) with a tour in subcontinent. But they are some real good youngsters that may leap frog him soon.
Dreadful technique. Doesn't really matter that he is opening, if you square yourself up that often in Test matches you are going to do nothing.

Marius

International Debutant
Van Zyl is absolutely garbage. Refuse to believe there isn't a better batsmen in SA than him.
Perhaps there is, but he's a better call than Duminy right now. Also averaged 72 in the four recent 'Tests' he played for South Africa A.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
*** me, quite impressive these school kids singing the NZ anthem in Maori. Much better than I could do.

StephenZA

Dreadful technique. Doesn't really matter that he is opening, if you square yourself up that often in Test matches you are going to do nothing.
His technique is not that bad.... he looked terrible in the tests against England because his confidence was shot after India... I can understand you opinion from what you saw of him.... but having watched him domestically he is a much better player than you saw against England.

91Jmay

International Coach
Duminy needs to bowl to be in the side, I agree. Van Zyl reminds me of an Adam Lyth type. Good timer of the ball, fine for good FC cricket standard but technique not up to the biggest level. People talk about players succeeding with bad techniques, and it is true they can, however there are certain basic that must be corrected in order to succeed. And twisting yourself into a S shape any time the ball slightly moves around off stump is something that must be corrected.

Marius

International Debutant
Duminy needs to bowl to be in the side, I agree. Van Zyl reminds me of an Adam Lyth type. Good timer of the ball, fine for good FC cricket standard but technique not up to the biggest level. People talk about players succeeding with bad techniques, and it is true they can, however there are certain basic that must be corrected in order to succeed. And twisting yourself into a S shape any time the ball slightly moves around off stump is something that must be corrected.
Duminy's bowling is also rubbish at the moment, so if we're picking No.5s would much rather go for Van Zyl right now.

Mike5181

International Captain
Seems kind of stupid to bat first against us. Guptill/Williamson etc could easily have flashbacks of 2013 and get rolled again.

SeamUp

International Coach
Last chance saloon for JP Duminy and there will be not many more disappointed with his career than me. Really thought the world of him when I first saw him at 19/20. Just been a frustrating test career mainly. Which should have been his main format. Almost similar to Jacques Rudolph.

Stiaan van Zyl has scored lots of FC runs and when our domestic system was much stronger as well. Also lots of SA 'A' runs. I would probably argue if he made a 100 it would be the best 100 to watch from a South African batsman on aesthetics but he too does need to take his chance when he gets it. His technique does leave a lot to be desired with that braced front leg being an issue but he has wonderful hands through the ball so if he can get comfortable at the highest level he could be a success.

StephenZA

Last chance saloon for JP Duminy and there will be not many more disappointed with his career than me. Really thought the world of him when I first saw him at 19/20. Just been a frustrating test career mainly. Which should have been his main format. Almost similar to Jacques Rudolph.

Stiaan van Zyl has scored lots of FC runs and when our domestic system was much stronger as well. Also lots of SA 'A' runs. I would probably argue if he made a 100 it would be the best 100 to watch from a South African batsman on aesthetics but he too does need to take his chance when he gets it. His technique does leave a lot to be desired with that braced front leg being an issue but he has wonderful hands through the ball so if he can get comfortable at the highest level he could be a success.
110% agreed on Duminy, terrible waste of talent... van Zyl deserves another shot... but if he does not show anything I so want Hamza in the squad...

Meridio

International Regular
Jeez, Cook goes a long way back in his crease. Looks dangerously close to clipping the stumps with his back foot.