• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

Frost

U19 Debutant
This current nz squad is really strong. Can't remember a time with more quality batting depth. I actually think we are sneaky favorites this world cup.....gone are the days of nz folding to spin. I think we are probably the best non Asian side at playing spin(long time fans who would of seen that coming)
With nz A also putting away a quality side from Oz its only looking better. Tonites game will be very interesting.

Reactions: FBU

Frost

U19 Debutant
Broad " chasing 360 not sure where the strike rates will come from" does he watch the game ? Mitchell was in 2nd gear

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad " chasing 360 not sure where the strike rates will come from" does he watch the game ? Mitchell was in 2nd gear
Thats pretty arrogant analysis from ol Stuey, you'd think he'd wait until England actually scored that to offer that viewpoint...although I think I am on record saying we don't have a 360 gear the last few years. Usually you need fire power past 6 to do that, and we don't

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Turned on the stream to see Henry getting a wicket. Bonza! Then realised it's the 2019 final replay.

Just how the **** did England get awarded the win. Just ****ing absurd.
If only the umpires knew the rules. I can't imagine how frustrating i would be as an Aussie fan if we lost a WC final due to something like that, even if it produced a better game.

Owzat

U19 Captain
Turned on the stream to see Henry getting a wicket. Bonza! Then realised it's the 2019 final replay.

Just how the **** did England get awarded the win. Just ****ing absurd.
stupid rules like seems to be quite common across some sports, like the 1992 rain rule and whoever came up with the points for the WTC so you could get max points by winning 2 out of 2 in a 2 Test series but would have to win 5 out of 5 to get the same points in a 5 Test series!

England won because of a stupid boundary countback rule that should never have been, runs is runs, and in fact I'd say if a side gives away 20 more runs than their opponents in wides and no balls say, but score five more fours why should they win?!?!? And the law re overthrows deflected off the batsman running a single, probably a stupid throw in fairness and if the player got half the stick Bairstow got for CareyCad we'd still be hearing about that, but anyway stupid law acknowledged by player not wanting them to count and the change after the event

that all said it was a close game, either side could have won, can't really argue a run here or there as to meaning X deserved to win more than Y, and someone had to lose. Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with, and every sense in, the old deciding factor when games were tied - fewests wickets lost. Took less loss of wicket to achieve the same score although I guess the counter 'logic' is that side should have used its wickets better to score the run or more would have secured the win

Either way the rules and laws didn't change in match, disappointing as it was to lose the kiwis lost to England who benefitted from them but not their fault or intention to deflect overthrows or rely on countbacks and ridiculous other rules.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
stupid rules like seems to be quite common across some sports, like the 1992 rain rule and whoever came up with the points for the WTC so you could get max points by winning 2 out of 2 in a 2 Test series but would have to win 5 out of 5 to get the same points in a 5 Test series!

England won because of a stupid boundary countback rule that should never have been, runs is runs, and in fact I'd say if a side gives away 20 more runs than their opponents in wides and no balls say, but score five more fours why should they win?!?!? And the law re overthrows deflected off the batsman running a single, probably a stupid throw in fairness and if the player got half the stick Bairstow got for CareyCad we'd still be hearing about that, but anyway stupid law acknowledged by player not wanting them to count and the change after the event

that all said it was a close game, either side could have won, can't really argue a run here or there as to meaning X deserved to win more than Y, and someone had to lose. Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with, and every sense in, the old deciding factor when games were tied - fewests wickets lost. Took less loss of wicket to achieve the same score although I guess the counter 'logic' is that side should have used its wickets better to score the run or more would have secured the win

Either way the rules and laws didn't change in match, disappointing as it was to lose the kiwis lost to England who benefitted from them but not their fault or intention to deflect overthrows or rely on countbacks and ridiculous other rules.
I said this at the time, but stokes ranting about "spirit of cricket" over that bairstow Carey situation when he won a WC on an umpire not knowing how to properly apply overthrow runs is a bit ****e. You didn't hear stokes, or root, or any of the England press getting pissed when their team benefited from something that was IMO a far bigger breach of the "spirit of cricket" than what Carey did.

FYI, I'm not saying England pre planned those overthrows, but the way the rules at the time read, it should have been 5 runs, not 6. If the umpire knows what he's doing NZ win the final without a super over.