• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Haha, that is a hallmark of Tim Southee's career.

Speaking of 2012, I was at the Test in Dunedin v SA - Southee took 0-40 off 10 and 0-100 off 25 (and a second ball duck), he genuinely looked like a club bowler. His run-up was ****ed, absolutely zero momentum through the crease. From memory, Allan Donald was our bowling coach and completely remodelled him to the point where Bengaluru was 3 innings' later.

His career from post Brisbane 2008 to 2012 was one big cruise mode, you'd like to think he regrets that period but I'm not sure he does
while overwhelmingly most players have benefited from the improved selection consistency of the past decade, I think we'd benefit from realising that some people (particularly athletically gifted blokes who've been able to cruise through life on their natural gifts) benefit more from having a fire lit under their butt.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think that's always been clear with Southee that the coaching staff need to be ready to give him a swift kick in the pants if his performance starts dropping. His getting dropped from the squad after that first test v SA in 2012, seemed to really scare him straight. Not sure if it was Donald, Grant Bradburn or maybe even Tim himself who was most responsible for the transformation, but it was genuinely stunning. Went from looking like a guy who belonged in a County 2nd XI to one of the form new-ball bowlers in the world in a little over 6 months. It caught me completely off-guard. I'd pretty much written Southee off before that Asia tour. By the end of it, I honestly believed he could be a 25 average bowler (at least for the remainder of his career anyway). Would love to read a really honest assessment from Tim of how and why it happened.

thundaboult

International Debutant
also gary stead: ladies n gents i am proud to announce that henry nicholls, bj watling, mark richardson and tim southee have forced their way back into the side with their newly acquired spin bowling skills in our recent net sessions, they will partner up with mitchell santner to complete our 5 woman spin attack

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah Kuldeep will also mean we will have all 4 varieties of spin avaiable in our attack -

Right arm Off Spin - Ashwin
Left arm Off Spin (SLA) - Jaddu
Left arm Leg Spin (SLW) - Kuldeep
Right arm Leg Spin - Jaiswal

sithb

Cricket Spectator
I think India would need to go in with 3 pacers.

There's nothing stopping an additional spinner as well. Jadeja and Ashwin are more than handy with the bat.

Sharma
Jaiswal
Gill
Kohli
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Akashdeep
Bumrah
Kuldeep
Siraj

sithb

Cricket Spectator
Akashdeep and Bumrah can hold up an end with the bat if needed as well. Just don't see why India needs to go in with an additional batsman in KL.

They probably will though.