• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

Mike5181

International Captain
I would much rather him play ODIs for 2-3 years successfully than play one test get injured and retire.

Athlai

Not Terrible
How good he is or isn't at one day cricket shouldn't factor into it. You don't leave someone out of the Test side because you're scared they'll get injured and miss ODIs; just no.
Phlegm was talking about Test match conditioning rather than fears of getting hit in the teeth with a ball. Which is a legitimate reason why you shouldn't play a bloke like Mills in Tests.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Phlegm was talking about Test match conditioning rather than fears of getting hit in the teeth with a ball. Which is a legitimate reason why you shouldn't play a bloke like Mills in Tests.
It depends why his lack of Test match conditioning bothers you though. If it bothers you because it means you think he won't get through the match properly (which is exactly precisely why I think he shouldn't be picked) then that's fine. If it bothers you because you're worried he'll end up missing ODIs, you're doing it wrong.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It depends why his lack of Test match conditioning bothers you though. If it bothers you because it means you think he won't get through the match properly (which is exactly precisely why I think he shouldn't be picked) then that's fine. If it bothers you because you're worried he'll end up missing ODIs, you're doing it wrong.
They mean the same thing in the end though. If he can't last a match or strains himself to try and last a match chances are he'll miss future matches. The guy is a quality ODI bowler and can handle that workload. Plenty of reasons to doubt his ability to get through a Test without risking some long term harm to his body IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he can't last a match or strains himself to try and last a match chances are he'll miss future matches.
Shouldn't come into IMO. If you never pick him he'll miss those matches anyway.

The concern is that he won't get through the match. That's it.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Shouldn't come into IMO. If you never pick him he'll miss those matches anyway.

The concern is that he won't get through the match. That's it.
The concern is he shouldn't be picked for Test matches when he is a limited overs bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
Athlai on the money here. I get the impression PEWS simply does not care about ODIs in comparison to tests though, and I reckon that's the difference here.

I would rather a bowler play a full season of ODIs and no tests than three days of test cricket and half a season of ODIs.

Mills is highly unlikely to last the distance based off past injury records, and he isn't clearly ahead of his competition for the spot. Yet he is easily our best ODI bowler.

It's poor resource use imo.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with the two lads above, Mills' is a decidedly average Test bowler, but is a very good ODI one. Best he remains fit for ODI's considering there's a few alternatives who'd be at least as effective in Test matches.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:blowup:

Posting about this really isn't good for my blood pressure, so I'll just stick with "I wouldn't pick Mills either" and leave it at that.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
cricfire.com is decent, give them a try. Used to use criconline.tv, they were top notch, but the bloke quit a few months ago.