• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see NZ's T20 International win/loss record is now at 50% - gutted to see we were never credited that game against Aust (where McCullum Mcscooped his way to a 100) that was won in the bowl-off

Mike5181

International Captain
Brendon McCullum's international T20 record is impressive. He averages eight more than he does in ODIs despite how crazily risky he gets.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a class act. Pity he can't make the test squad ahead of Jeets.
He'd probably get caught halfway in terms of terms of being a Test bowler and making the transition regularly to a limited-overs bowler. I'm happy keeping him in colours rather than get him to change his game.

If we weren't credited with a win in the Australian super over (and the Windies ones too, you'd presume) then what's the point of going past the tie?

BeeGee

International Captain
I see NZ's T20 International win/loss record is now at 50% - gutted to see we were never credited that game against Aust (where McCullum Mcscooped his way to a 100) that was won in the bowl-off
If we weren't credited with a win in the Australian super over (and the Windies ones too, you'd presume) then what's the point of going past the tie?
Indeed. Makes no sense at all. The super over either officially decides the match or it isn't played, end of story.

Maurice

Cricket Spectator
Seeing Mills has played very little first class cricket recently I really wish we had picked someone like Trent Boult or even let Dougeh B loose in the test matches.

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Much better from Zimbabwe, I didn't get to watch the match but I read the entire play by play of Zimbabwe's innings. It seems they were hanging in there (albeit a bit behind in the pace of the run chase) until losing four wickets in one over.

BeeGee

International Captain
Seeing Mills has played very little first class cricket recently I really wish we had picked someone like Trent Boult or even let Dougeh B loose in the test matches.
Bracewell's in the Test squad, isn't he? So he might get a run.
Bracewell is in the test squad. I'd have him in my Test team:

Guptill,
McCullum,
Williamson,
Taylor,
Ryder,
Young,
Vettori,
Mills,
Bracewell,
McKay,
Martin

Howsie

International Captain
I hate that Kyle Mills has somehow made his way back into test consideration, the guy has played about five first class games in the last three years - and done nothing. He has a decent looking test record but you're kidding yourself imo if you think he's going to be effective now at 32, he just looks so laboured.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I hate that Kyle Mills has somehow made his way back into test consideration, the guy has played about five first class games in the last three years - and done nothing. He has a decent looking test record but you're kidding yourself imo if you think he's going to be effective now at 32, he just looks so laboured.
I think the biggest worry is how many little niggles he gets these days. He'll play a T20I, bowl four overs and then be out for a week with 'soreness' of some kind, so how they expect him to be able to get through five day Tests without either breaking down or bowling within himself (which lets face it, Mills cannot afford to do) is beyond me. Even Tuffey would've been a better pick, I reckon - even though he looked pretty pedestrian at times during his last Test recall he still took some genuine wickets, bowled some cracking deliveries (at 125km/hr :ph34r:) and batted well, which is all they'd be hoping for with Mills.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah probably haven't been taking that into consideration enough, was kind of looking forward to seeing Mills bowl in tests. Probably a bit biased because he was the spearhead to the only NZ test match win I've ever witnessed live at the ground (NZ vs England, 1st test, three or so years back) :p

Flem274*

123/5
I love Mills, and I think he has deserved more test opportunities than he's got, but he is too fragile for five day cricket these days and selecting him now would be unfair on his career and shoot ourselves in the foot if our best ODI bowler is out for a decent amount of time with an injury.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Yeah probably haven't been taking that into consideration enough, was kind of looking forward to seeing Mills bowl in tests. Probably a bit biased because he was the spearhead to the only NZ test match win I've ever witnessed live at the ground (NZ vs England, 1st test, three or so years back) :p
:)

I personally want to see Mills in whites and smash some boundaries late in the innings and take few wickets whenever he feels fit during the 5 day period :p

I am sure that he gets niggled down after playing considerable amount of time during a 5 day game; as he isn't used to playing 5 days on a trot in the recent times. However, as its against Zimbabwe, the selectors can fancy the chances of giving me the try and see how it goes. If its not now, its never for him to make a comeback

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love Mills, and I think he has deserved more test opportunities than he's got, but he is too fragile for five day cricket these days and selecting him now would be unfair on his career and shoot ourselves in the foot if our best ODI bowler is out for a decent amount of time with an injury.
Haha I don't agree with picking Mills but if he was left out for that reason it'd absolutely ridiculous.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mills was rested in the 2nd T20 to make way for Aldridge...he'll play in the ODIs

Doubt he'll play the Tests though. Martin McKay Bracewell, Brownlie/Ryder part-time, Vettori spinner

Mike5181

International Captain
For the test i would run with:

1.McCullum
2.Guptill
3.Williamson
4.Taylor
5.Ryder
6.Brownlie
7.Young+
8.Vettori
9.Bracewell
10.Mckay
11.Martin

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why pick someone for tests whose body can't handle it when he's not any better than his rivals and he's a world class ODI bowler to boot?
How good he is or isn't at one day cricket shouldn't factor into it. You don't leave someone out of the Test side because you're scared they'll get injured and miss ODIs; just no.