• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Pakistan

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You omitted to mention that NZ dominated from overs 31 to 38 - Pakistan only scored 14 runs in 7 overs!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
the only thing coming out of this tour thats a positive.. is that our emerging talent is being shown..marshall..jones are good enough to easily take a spot in a final nz XI

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall definately for ODI's & maybe tests..but definately not Jones for ODI's.

The only time Jones has looked like getting out is when he's tried to the force the pace, so from some of the bowling he has faced he looks as though he could be quite solid at test level, but when it comes to One-dayers he just doesn't have the ability to keep the score ticking over.

Im not sure an opening partnership of Richardson & Jones would be ideal, because both are rather pedestrian, but maybe if Fleming is out for the test series then Jones could bat at 3.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, Pakistan are 247/3 after 47 overs...which was predictable considering how well Hameed & Farhat are playing.

I hope in NZ's innings they at least try and go for this total, rather than batting out 50 overs & ending 60 runs short.

anzac

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
You needed 199 off 19 overs!

Pakistan were in Cruise Control!

There was not a snowball's chance in hell you were ever going to win that... I mean it was still 51 runs in the end even after the last 3 overs went for 35 through the fact that non-bowlers were on.

as I said in my earlier post - they batted out their 50 overs yet they were 50+ runs short with wickets in hand!!!!!! - not a very good display

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
After 20 overs, they needed 240 more - what side can score at 8 an over for 30 overs without being bowled out?

After 30 overs they needed nearly 200 more.

No matter which way you look at it, NZ were nowhere near the game.

it can be done ....

I recall an ODI Tri-Series match in OZ in the mid-late '80s where Coney & Hadlee got NZ up to a then WR chase of about 297 to defeat England. From memory the pair got together inside the first 25 overs and the asking rate was somewhere around 7.6 for most of the remaining overs until they got inside the last 10. I know 1 of them got out but the other got NZ home.

:P

By the same token the odds of this side being able to do something similar are not even worth contemplating.......

;)

anzac

International Debutant
not much to say about th 4th ODI - more of the same from both sides

interesting to read that Harris & Cairns put together a reasonable partnership playing sensible cricket - until Harris got a rush of blood. After than it was a case of too much left to do with too little time & too little batting to follow.

The Pakistani innings got off to another 100+ opening partership as the NZ bowlers lacked the firepower to create / extract any demons from the pitch / conditions as Pakistan cruised to victory without really getting out of 1st or 2nd gear.

:(

anzac

International Debutant
interesting team selection - no Harris, Mason, Canning or Walmsley, Walker at 5 ahead of Carins, McCullum, Vettori, Hitchcock, Tuffey & Oram at 11!!!! Could be NZ's strongest lineup to date - although that isn't really saying anything so far as the bowling is concerned.

another mammoth opening partnership by Pakistan, although they must be slightly disappointed with a total of 'only' 277. Aparently the bowling of Cairns & Hitchcock made it easier for the batsmen re their inconsistant line & length in the middle overs. I have no idea what the bowling was like at the death or what the runs scored during this time was like......

an encouraging start to the NZ innings with Cumming & Jones putting on 48 when last viewed on the update & seeing off the opening attack - although the required rate is already up to 6.5. Hopefully the platform will have been laid for the middle & lower orders to do their thing - provided they get the chance b4 the required rate gets too far out of reach!

d'oh - of course Canning is in for Vettori which is why it is so interesting with no spinner :):duh:

Cumming out and the RRR up to just a touch below 7 coming up to 20 overs gone.......

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
RRR now up to 7.3 with 28 overs remaing - time to promote McCullum to come in next, especially if Jones is still at the crease!
NZ need a quick fire impact on the run rate if they want to chase this total - still too early for Cairns IMO.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
anzac said:
RRR now up to 7.3 with 28 overs remaing - time to promote McCullum to come in next, especially if Jones is still at the crease!
24.1 Abdul Razzaq to Jones, (noball) SIX, flicked over mid wicket

yep, doing very poorly and ineffectively :P

anyway, NZ have a very tiny chance of winning this. Promote McCullum and hope for extras...so far 10 wides and no-balls from 161 balls - too much I think.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is the bowling really good or is New Zealand just intent on batting defensively? Surely someone would take the initiative and play some shots!

stevo22

Cricket Spectator
You'd think they'd go for it with wickets in hand.
And Jones is definitely a test player and not ODI - 3 an over when you need 7 is too slow.

NZ need Cairns to smack it about abit

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jones and Sinclair scored too slowly, Marshall is approaching another fifty at a run a ball, however the middle order self-destructed and it's all but 5-0.

anzac

International Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
24.1 Abdul Razzaq to Jones, (noball) SIX, flicked over mid wicket

yep, doing very poorly and ineffectively :P

anyway, NZ have a very tiny chance of winning this. Promote McCullum and hope for extras...so far 10 wides and no-balls from 161 balls - too much I think.

yeah well he stuck around & scored 49 off 96 - maybe ok for Test cricket but not ODIs unless he bats thru the innings!!!!

with 25 overs left & 8 wickets in hand I should think it is a bit presumptuous to say the game is over (even tho' we know the outcome by now).

:!(

anzac

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Jones and Sinclair scored too slowly, Marshall is approaching another fifty at a run a ball, however the middle order self-destructed and it's all but 5-0.

Nope, wrong - it IS 5-0 just like I predicted it would be (as if that took any great leap in deduction or clairvoyance).......

;)

anzac

International Debutant
AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!
NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!
WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!

yet again (at the risk of repeating myself & further angering some Kiwi supporters), THE BRAINS TRUST GOT THE BATTING GAME PLAN WRONG!!!!!! 50 RUNS SHORT WITH 4 WICKETS IN HAND - WHAT KIND OF A RUN "CHASE" IS THAT!!!!!!!!

This is the 2nd time they have done this in this series and both times they stuck to the original batting lineup and ended up loosing with a whimper not a bang. Even the best hitters need a 'sighter' b4 they can launch an assault & expect it to be successful - the only exception is when they are in great touch to start with, and none of the Kiwi hitters have shown this in this series!

2 wickets down with about 20 overs to go & the RRR up over 7 & they stick to the original batting lineup!!!!!! If they were serious about the chase they should have introduced an impact player as early as 1st drop, and definately by the time the 2nd wicket went!!!

too many overs lost & rr getting too high for any of the subsequent batsmen to have a chance when they have to come in and score at that rate immediately!!! Can somebody please explain to me what is the point of having explosive batters & 'allrounders' in the team if you are not going to use them to have an impact on the game????????

Even tho' Marshall scored another 60+ n.o. at a strike rate of 90+, what was really needed was a hit & run cameo innings from one of the hitters to go over the fence & score a quick 30-40 odd from next to nothing - do a Lance Cairns at the MCG - longevity is not the key, an over to sight the pace of the pitch & then launch. Bring the RRR back sharply so that the incoming batsmen can have an over to get set b4 having to find the fence all the time!!!!

My picks would have been McCullum & Oram - one or the other if not both depending on how well it went & how long it lasted. Then you could have Marshall or Cairns depending on whose wicket fell - no point in having 2 big hitters at the crease otherwise you have nothing left in the tank for the end.

Hell I know I've been critical of the tactics for the top order re 'quick start runs', but this is taking it to the opposite extreme - talk about your sublime to the ridiculous!!!!

This wasn't a 'run chase' - more like a geriatric stumble!!!!!
There is no 'honour' to be had in these results - only shame at the lack of a tactical determination to put up a real fight!!!!

:!( :!( :!( :!(

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
ok - so what now for the selectors?

Have they resolved any of the major issues regarding the ODI squad - bowling attack (esp 'at the death'), opening batsman? Me thinks not!

Apart from Marshall none of the batsmen really gave the selectors something to think about. Unless they decide to open with Marshall or Astle, Cummings possibly showed enough to warrant his continued selection for the 1st ODI in the Home series, while Jones confirmed his style is better suited to the longer game.

As I said in an earlier post, Marshall's success has raised more questions for the selectors re both the ODI & Test teams than it has answered.

Cairns & Harris were both disappointing in a situation where they should have had the experience to shine. Questions should be raised regarding their continued contribution in either squad.

None of the other bowlers resolved any of the issues, nor did they do enough IMO to oust any of the current established squad members from their resumed selection. Questions will still remain regarding the make up of the seam attack should Bond remain unavailable - does Butler get a chance?, do they retain Cairns?, do they consider Mills or Mason, or will Adams start (if fit) in lieu of Cairns?

Potential ODI squad:
Cummings, Fleming, Astle, Marshall, Styris, McMillan, Oram, McCullum, Adams, Vettori, Tuffey, Butler, Bond, + 1 from Mills / Mason / Hitchcock / Walker?

Potential Test squad:
Richardson, Vincent, Fleming (if fit), Styris, Astle, McMillan, Marshall, Hart, Oram, Tuffey, Butler, Vettori, Bond (if fit), Jones / Adams?

8D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anzac said:
it can be done ....

I recall an ODI Tri-Series match in OZ in the mid-late '80s where Coney & Hadlee got NZ up to a then WR chase of about 297 to defeat England. From memory the pair got together inside the first 25 overs and the asking rate was somewhere around 7.6 for most of the remaining overs until they got inside the last 10. I know 1 of them got out but the other got NZ home.
7.6 for 25 overs is a lot easier than 8 for 30, and 10 for 20!