• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get it. Afzaal has done next to nothing but score runs all career, including averaging 62 this year. While Newman's only looked good for 2 seasons having been woeful for the previous 5.
Mea culpa - I hadn't realised Afzaal was managing that sort of average this season. And I wasn't seriously pushing Newman's case - simply pointing out that he was doing better in these games nowadays (which was true) and that he was doing rather better then Afzaal this season (which wasn't).

The other lad whose stats might be worth looking up is Samit Patel.

Anyway, the Holland game is about to start, so bfn.

Flem274*

123/5
Wow, this will be nice to watch in the replay/highlights. Didn't see much last night, had an early night cos I was suppossed to have a Showhunter today but that got rained off.:dry:

Kudos to Elliott. Someone like him is proof that one day depth is pretty decent in NZ because lets face it, he ain't the greatest List A player in the country. Test depth is another matter however.

Whats great about Elliott is SP can't say we rely on other nations to win games for us without looking like a gigantic hypocrite. :p

So for those that saw him, am I right in saying he's a Chris Harris type player that can bat at seven and send fustrating dibbly dobblies down in the middle overs?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kudos to Elliott. Someone like him is proof that one day depth is pretty decent in NZ because lets face it, he ain't the greatest List A player in the country.
Well... hactually.
So for those that saw him, am I right in saying he's a Chris Harris type player that can bat at seven and send fustrating dibbly dobblies down in the middle overs?
No, his bowling will never be anywhere near as good as Harris'. He's more a frontline one-day batsman than Harris by the looks of things though.

Remarkable thing so far his how many wickets Elliott's taken.

pasag

RTDAS
Only watched the first innings so will only comment on that. NZ's batting apart from Elliott and Mills (how good was that straight 6!) was pathetic. Anderson was woeful as well.

Thought this England team were past this sort of mediocrity, obviously not.

Natman20

International Debutant
Well well wasn't expecting that result when waking up.

I think this match counts for nothing when looking at how a batsman is performing. It was obviously a difficult pitch to play on demonstrated by both teams low scores. I think that this game was proof of how patience on a 'bowling pitch' got NZ home in the end through the batting of Elliott and with rear gaurd action from Mills. If only Fleming was there last night I think he would have been the perfect candidate to stick around and then raise the run-rate. Bring on ODI 4! better scores and better consistency please!

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!

tim southee you legend

grant elliot you legend

kyle mills you legend

i think this was a big step forward in the captaincy of Vettori, he persisted with Southee when he was getting smashed and it payed off. I was olso impressed byt the fields he set and the way he rotated his bowlers

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yet another class A botch job from England, even Bangladesh or Zimbabwe would have won it from the multitude of positions England got into.

Piss easy target against a mediocre bowling lineup. All they have to do is bat properly - basic schoolboy stuff. With England the surprise is when they actually do bloody well bat properly. Where the hell is the character in guys like Bell and Shah - as far as cricket is goes they haven't got any and I don't see it being rectified any time soon. The number of soft dismissals England conjured up is beyond pathetic and it's not like there's half a dozen KPs in the lineup.

Flem274*

123/5
Yet another class A botch job from England, even Bangladesh or Zimbabwe would have won it from the multitude of positions England got into.

Piss easy target against a mediocre bowling lineup. All they have to do is bat properly - basic schoolboy stuff. With England the surprise is when they actually do bloody well bat properly. Where the hell is the character in guys like Bell and Shah - as far as cricket is goes they haven't got any and I don't see it being rectified any time soon. The number of soft dismissals England conjured up is beyond pathetic and it's not like there's half a dozen KPs in the lineup.
Or possibly, just possibly, apart from the great NZ collapse, England were outplayed by a side that played better cricket?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Or possibly, just possibly, apart from the great NZ collapse, England were outplayed by a side that played better cricket?
Tbf, it's the same thing. One side played better, one side played worse. Different ways of looking at it. Neither were excellent.

Flem274*

123/5
Tbf, it's the same thing. One side played better, one side played worse. Different ways of looking at it. Neither were excellent.
Pretty much my thoughts on the game. Thing is its SP and for whatever reason, he can never seem to give NZ credit (at least this is my impression since I started lurking on the forum during the CB series last year) so I decided to point out that we actualy did play well at times.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Aye, Shah and Bopara have never yet convinced me and it's been long enough in Shah's case that I'm now fairly confident he never will. Both need to go after this series if there's still nothing for mine - Shah to not come back and Bopara to not come back for at least another year.
Eh?..