• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bodes well for this summer series against SA if England can get a kicking from "lowly" New Zealand.. Pleasantly surprised to see how competitive they have been considering how lowly they rank the Test match game in their list of priorities..

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Hay is the same age group as Taylor... Not old, but not young by any means. In fact the U19s of 2004 batsmen are maturing at the right time now... thanks to greatbatch (who was the batting mentor for most of these guys)

Flynn (capt of U19)
Hay (only started two years ago but was under Greatbatch at CD)
Taylor
Ryder

All 23.
Yes, but Taylor has been around for a lot longer than Hay in the Blackcaps set up, and been around longer at FC level. I'm not sure we would have seen that good innings from Taylor in this test if he had made his Blackcaps debut at Lords, given how much he seems to have been learning since he started.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
NZ in a really strong postion here, even if were all out for 200 England will need the late 300's to win. Just please New Zealand dont have one of those typical 2nd innings collapses. Jamie How in for a big one here, hes already got 2 fifties, im backing the hundred today.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, but Taylor has been around for a lot longer than Hay in the Blackcaps set up, and been around longer at FC level. I'm not sure we would have seen that good innings from Taylor in this test if he had made his Blackcaps debut at Lords, given how much he seems to have been learning since he started.
But the way he played at Lord's it wouldn't have been hard to believe that it was his first Test.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Knew all the arrogance of the English media will bite em.. well i had this feeling
Believe it or not, the stupidity of the comments that have come from some parts of the press in the UK haven't actually impacted upon the series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bodes well for this summer series against SA if England can get a kicking from "lowly" New Zealand.. Pleasantly surprised to see how competitive they have been considering how lowly they rank the Test match game in their list of priorities..
If Flintoff were to play against SA, it could make a difference, remember.

The utter woefulness of our bowling-attack is the principal reason for our abysmal position in this game, and Flintoff might've helped in that respect.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Believe it or not, the stupidity of the comments that have come from some parts of the press in the UK haven't actually impacted upon the series.
I think Vettori alluded to some of them in a press conference at one point...I wouldn't have any trouble believing that a few of the comments have fired the team up.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
But the way he played at Lord's it wouldn't have been hard to believe that it was his first Test.
Lol, don't disagree. Glad he turned it around though ;)

My thinking is he wouldn't have been able to turn it around like that without his previous exp before Lords.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If Flintoff were to play against SA, it could make a difference, remember.

The utter woefulness of our bowling-attack is the principal reason for our abysmal position in this game, and Flintoff might've helped in that respect.
Could do, but equally he could flop, he's done sweet FA since his return from injury

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Vettori alluded to some of them in a press conference at one point...I wouldn't have any trouble believing that a few of the comments have fired the team up.
Hmm, I refuse to believe Taylor and Vettori's performances in this game (the crucial ones so far) wouldn't have happened had people been lauding praise on them before the series TBH.

Laurrz

International Debutant
But still knew that NZ would put up a fight and they would have eggs on their faces

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
6 Tons in all forms of domestic cricket this season, 2 x 140s in list A, I think he deserves selection ahead of Hay who faltered when it mattered late when selectors are watching (Napier match between ND and CD)
Haha, my mistake, I thought Flynn had a pretty average State Championship, but he was on fire. Regardless, he's been very poor for the rest of his domesic career, so it was a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction picking him, especially without any experience at New Zealand A level.

As I say though, if it was a choice between Flynn and Hay, I would've preferred Hay. Has only played less than half the number of games as Flynn, but scored almost as many runs as him.

Would've picked Fulton ahead of both of them though, in all honesty.

chalky

International Debutant
Didn't South Africa get a kicking from "lowly" West Indies at home quite recently?

I think even Kallis would have strugled to bat as well as Taylor did, Steyn would have struggled to bowl as well as O'Brian & South Africa certainly don't have a spinner who would have bowled as well as Vettori.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Didn't South Africa get a kicking from "lowly" West Indies at home quite recently?
Yeah, but they came back and won the next 2, something we won't be able to do if we lose this.
I think even Kallis would have strugled to bat as well as Taylor did, Steyn would have struggled to bowl as well as O'Brian & South Africa certainly don't have a spinner who would have bowled as well as Vettori.
Nah, good as O'Brien (surprisingly) was these last couple of sessions, Steyn in recent times was far better than that. IF (and it certainly is an if) he can continue that form this summer he should tear through us regularly, and of course Kallis would've been more than capable of that Taylor innings. And South Africa won't need a spinner of Vettori's calibre as I doubt we'll see a pitch like this again this summer.