• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Spark

Global Moderator
There are good batsmen, there are great batsmen, and there are batsmen with the potential to play innings that psychologically devastate the opposition. The sort of innings that made them wish they never played cricket.
Seriously, read this again. I'd say there are four or five batsman in world cricket going around right now who you would say this about. Williamson isn't one of them (neither is Root, or Smith, or anyone else playing in this Test)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Moeen is bowling better now that he's batting at 8 and isn't a part timer.
Was always going to bowl better. Any one who thought Moeen bowling in Windies is how he usually bowls didn't see him bowl in the previous year. Also, no one really thinks he is a part timer, I hope.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
On the subject of England's attack being a bit samey, I was thinking back to the two series between these sides in 2013 and the point of difference Graeme Swann used to provide. He missed the NZ tour, Monty didn't do particularly well., and NZ's batsmen prospered. And back in England though Anderson/Broad had NZ's measure anyway, he came on in that 2nd test and simply ran through the middle order, there was simply no escape route. Was unimaginable that he'd be packing it in by the end of the year.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Seriously, read this again. I'd say there are four or five batsman in world cricket going around right now who you would say this about. Williamson isn't one of them (neither is Root, or Smith, or anyone else playing in this Test)
Williamson's currently ranked 6th in the world, and he's on his way up. So I don't think he's far off your own criteria of four or five batsmen.

At the moment, I'd say, at the level of at or better than Williamson, there is Sangakkara, de Villiers, Amla, Root, Warner and Smith. That's it. That's the level I means where you can actually cause psychological damage to the opposition.

England might get Williamson for 92 tomorrow, I concede that totally. But I bet Alistair Cook is going to lie awake for hours tonight thinking about how he's going to stop Williamson scoring 200. Probably by sheer luck.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I actually saw almost every ball of that day's play, thanks to stimulants. I thought Wood looked very, very good. Was not a significant step down in danger, if any, from Broad and Anderson. He'll definitely be one to watch.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Williamson's currently ranked 6th in the world, and he's on his way up. So I don't think he's far off your own criteria of four or five batsmen.

At the moment, I'd say, at the level of at or better than Williamson, there is Sangakkara, de Villiers, Amla, Root, Warner and Smith. That's it. That's the level I means where you can actually cause psychological damage to the opposition.

England might get Williamson for 92 tomorrow, I concede that totally. But I bet Alistair Cook is going to lie awake for hours tonight thinking about how he's going to stop Williamson scoring 200. Probably by sheer luck.
Not sure what you mean by this. Just a list of the players who are on form the best in the world does not really have anything to do with psychological damage. He is a very good player who could easily make 200, there are plenty of other players around who can do the same.

BeeGee

International Captain
I actually saw almost every ball of that day's play, thanks to stimulants. I thought Wood looked very, very good. Was not a significant step down in danger, if any, from Broad and Anderson. He'll definitely be one to watch.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how high would you say you are, right now?

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I suppose this whole psychological damage thing depends on what sort of psychological damage we're talking about exactly. Some batsmen can absolutely destroy a bowling attack, thus making you not want to play cricket anymore. Williamson is not one of these batsmen.

Other batsmen, though, can accumulate so ruthlessly and efficiently - without looking like getting out at all - that bowling just sucks. Williamson can do this. I didn't see any of his batting last night so can't comment but it is within the realms of possibility that facing a batsman like him and not even having a sniff could do a bit of psychological damage.

Honestly would much rather face a Stokes (in yesterday's mood) or Warner or Sehwag at his best, or whoever, than face a guy who just looks impossible to get out. Knowing that nothing you do will really impact on what the guy is doing is ****ing demoralising.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I suppose this whole psychological damage thing depends on what sort of psychological damage we're talking about exactly. Some batsmen can absolutely destroy a bowling attack, thus making you not want to play cricket anymore. Williamson is not one of these batsmen.

Other batsmen, though, can accumulate so ruthlessly and efficiently - without looking like getting out at all - that bowling just sucks. Williamson can do this. I didn't see any of his batting last night so can't comment but it is within the realms of possibility that facing a batsman like him and not even having a sniff could do a bit of psychological damage.

Honestly would much rather face a Stokes (in yesterday's mood) or Warner or Sehwag at his best, or whoever, than face a guy who just looks impossible to get out. Knowing that nothing you do will really impact on what the guy is doing is ****ing demoralising.
I think the effect of someone like Williamson is lessened in a 2 Test series. If this was a 4 or 5 Test rubber then I'd definitely agree with you.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I think the effect of someone like Williamson is lessened in a 2 Test series. If this was a 4 or 5 Test rubber then I'd definitely agree with you.
Yeah good point that. Realistically any Test bowler worth his salt shouldn't be worried by a guy getting to 92 and looking good, as Spark said, but the way a batsman looks at the crease can certainly impact on your frame of mind.

Spark

Global Moderator
If anyone's going to do psychological damage, it's McCullum.
KP is a batsman that has caused psychological damage.
Forgot bmac for some reason, he definitively counts.

I was thinking the old list: ABdV, Amla, Clarke, KP, Sanga (more to sheer remorselessness), KP. Warner and BMac as well. Williamson is very good, bit he doesn't stand out from the crowd enough yet to count (he doesn't yet average 50, remember)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Forgot bmac for some reason, he definitively counts.

I was thinking the old list: ABdV, Amla, Clarke, KP, Sanga (more to sheer remorselessness), KP. Warner and BMac as well. Williamson is very good, bit he doesn't stand out from the crowd enough yet to count (he doesn't yet average 50, remember)
KP gets two mentions. Is that you Piers?

BeeGee

International Captain
It's the batsmen that can change the situation of a game in a short period of time that cause psychological scars, IMO. You can be on top in the game, bowlers bowling well, taking wickets, then some freak of a batsman comes to the crease and starts belting you to all parts. Suddenly the deliveries that were taking wickets are now sailing over the rope and before you know it you're behind in the game.

Those are the situations that haunt captains. You lay awake at night thinking "How did we let that happen? How could we have prevented it?".

The relentless accumulators are more frustrating and demoralizing than psychologically damaging. But at least with them you have time to try different things and adjust plans. It's the shock and awe batsmen that can be truly terrifying because they can change the game so quickly.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At the very least here's hoping the (recent) tradition of NZ getting someone on the honours board on each trip continues with KW, he definitely deserves it for keeping himself in shape given such a rubbish build-up.

The good thing about this test match has been the scoring rates. Even if it's all been mostly in favour of the batsmen since the first session yesterday, there's plenty of time for a result. NZ should be feeling pretty happy and looking at building a decent lead, but England should see they have a chance with the new ball early tomorrow.
Not inconceivable that NZ could lead by 200+ with more than 2 days to go