• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite incredible just how far Boult is ahead of the pack of NZ ODI bowlers if you look at 2015 numbers, especially now Vettori and Mills have retired..

Daylight....

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where does Stokes bat for Durham in 50 over cricket?

I don't trust Billings (I'm skeptical of players who only have a good record in one form of the game) and I still think Taylor should be in and around the squad.
Think he is usually at 4 or 5 for Durham.

Am a huge fan of Billings, him and Buttler batting well together will happen one day, and it will be so good. Would certainly not be against Willey coming in for him at 7 and Taylor replacing Stokes though. We have plenty of time to experiment.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Quite incredible just how far Boult is ahead of the pack of NZ ODI bowlers if you look at 2015 numbers, especially now Vettori and Mills have retired..

Daylight....

I have never been so happy to be so wrong.

Corey with more poles than Southee is pretty remarkable though., especially considering Southee has his 7-fer in there.

Zinzan

Indeed, I was Anderson's biggest critic with the ball leading into the WC, but his bowling (at the death particularly) improved significantly this year.

Also re. Southee, If you do exclude that one magnificent spell vs. England, his numbers read 17 wickets @ 42 with an ER of 6.1

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Btw what did Moeen do to get dropped? Averaging 32 and striking at 100 at the top of the order, plus handy offies is quite a decent package in ODI cricket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know you're joking but it was a pretty unsatisfactory end IMO.

I reckon New Zealand would have won in any event but it was such a stupid way to finish the game.
Agreed. Think we'd have got close but ultimately ran out of batsmen, which I guess is the point of the DL, but to go from needing less than 1.5 per ball to close to 3 is not right.

Spark

Global Moderator
You can't ever make it satisfactory, though. You're sort of "pre-deciding" part of the game which reduces part of the uncertainty which is kind of the point of sport.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly the best system was subtracting all the runs scored in the lowest scored upon overs by the team batting first. How was that even justified at any level.

Zinzan

You can't ever make it satisfactory, though. You're sort of "pre-deciding" part of the game which reduces part of the uncertainty which is kind of the point of sport.
Yeah this. Most have generally accepted the DL method for a decade or so, but it won't stop people jumping on the hobbyhorse whenever 'their' team seems to get the short end of the stick which I suppose is human nature.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Maybe, but tbh most of the time people have no gripe with what DL produces so when it doesn't seem right then people will talk about it.

Tbf I think the real complaint should be that they cut the game short. They could have got on ten minutes sooner and ****ed the presentation off.

It's a shame because it was such a good ODI. We need good one day cricket played in England so we can actually embrace it as a nation and get the country behind us in four years time when we host the WC.

Spark

Global Moderator
Maybe, but tbh most of the time people have no gripe with what DL produces so when it doesn't seem right then people will talk about it.

Tbf I think the real complaint should be that they cut the game short. They could have got on ten minutes sooner and ****ed the presentation off.

It's a shame because it was such a good ODI. We need good one day cricket played in England so we can actually embrace it as a nation and get the country behind us in four years time when we host the WC.
Really? Complete opposite for me - if the game is close and D/L is involved in setting the target, there's always complaints one way or the other.

And yeah the ridiculous thing was that they chopped off overs because some old ****s want a curfew. But even then, the break was just a total buzzkill.

In the pay tv and 100+ channel era, where there is far less of a need to have the game conclude by a certain time as opposed to free to air broadcasting, who thinks that Duckworth Lewis is overused in day night matches where the game is not over - but interrupted and shortened? Such as last night's example? Could the players not spare the time to fit in four more overs? It is hardly a timeless test scenario.

I understand say Australia being different due to channel 9. But England is sky tv is it not? No longer the BBC. Your SKY TV have 100+ channels?

What are international matches broadcasted on in India played in India? Is that Star Cricket pay tv or on Free to Air?

Last edited:

Zinzan

The rule of thumb when chasing when DL is likely is to keep wickets in hand, but not a simple task when chasing 399.

Niall

International Coach
Btw what did Moeen do to get dropped? Averaging 32 and striking at 100 at the top of the order, plus handy offies is quite a decent package in ODI cricket.
Not sure if he has been dropped in the traditional sense, he needs 4 day cricket desperately with The Ashes on the horizon, thus its a better idea for everyone that he is playing with Worcester and Ajmal red ball cricket.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, they made a deliberate point of saying that as well, unlike the others who were just dropped.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
The official explanation is he has been rested and told to go and get more red ball practice at county level for the Ashes