• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Bangladesh 2023/24

jcas0167

International Debutant
If Nichols is suspended over this ball tampering issue would Young or Phillips come in at number 5?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So are we going to be ruthless and drop Latham from the opener spot for Rachin? I think Rachin has to play, though it's hard to know where he should fit in. Have to take advantage of his blossoming, though also wary that he's still suspect to lateral movement on seamy pitches, which is relevant for the home summer.

I still quite like the idea, in isolation, of him as an aggressive number 3, though that doesn't fit while Williamson there.

jcas0167

International Debutant
So are we going to be ruthless and drop Latham from the opener spot for Rachin? I think Rachin has to play, though it's hard to know where he should fit in. Have to take advantage of his blossoming, though also wary that he's still suspect to lateral movement on seamy pitches, which is relevant for the home summer.

I still quite like the idea, in isolation, of him as an aggressive number 3, though that doesn't fit while Williamson there.
Perhaps if Nichols is out then they could move Latham to 5 and open with Ravindra. I don't think there is any chance they would actually drop Latham from the side though - averages 41.5 and seems to be the back-up captain across formats.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps if Nichols is out then they could move Latham to 5 and open with Ravindra. I don't think there is any chance they would actually drop Latham from the side though - averages 41.5 and seems to be the back-up captain across formats.
Yeah that's another option, would be Nicholls vs Latham for a middle order spot (the other two belonging to Mitchell and Phillips on this tour imo).

Flem274*

123/5
I'd be more interested in moving Conway if we opened with Ravindra. Latham is good on Asian tours and I'd rather remove him from white ball and keeping to give him time to focus on and hopefully truly crack being a class test opener.

Latham
Ravindra
Conway
Williamson

Is what I'd consider. Judging how ready Ravindra is to open on the first morning at Hagley Oval is tough though because this has been the most boshing world cup ever. There's a solid chance he isn't ready to open but would be a good #4.

Either way I think we have the options now to not consider Nicholls an instant selection or blunt force Young into the opener role.

I think it's time to bowl Mitchell a bit more though and pop Blundell at #7. That makes two spots for Nicholls, Young, Ravindra, Phillips and Chapman to push for. Potentially Bruce though ino he has to bat no higher than #5.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Ravindra doesn't need to be forced into the test XI on the back of this WC. He wasn't getting forced into the test 11 over anyone 3 months ago and nothing has changed about his redball record since then to demand it. I see nothing wrong with an xi of

1.Latham
2.Conway
3.Williamson
4.Nicholls/phillips/Bruce/???
5.Mitchell
6.Blundell
7.Rachin/Bracewell

in the subcontinent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It'd be interesting to know where Conway wants to bat now. He's obviously done really well opening but I'd have less qualms moving him if it didn't annoy him, or especially if he said he'd still prefer not to open. He obviously preferred 3/4 earlier on but I wonder if that's changed now that he's settled into that spot. If it hasn't I think I'd bite the bullet, move him to 4 and open with Rachin. If not I'd probably just keep Rachin in reserve for now. Shoehorning him into unfamiliar roles has been a giant failure so far.

Flem274*

123/5
Actually, real outside the box suggestion - what about moving Latham to #4?
I thought about it, and if he had more big knocks against the best pace attacks I'd consider it. As it is though his reliable steady 40s are more useful opening. They'd be collapse triggers at 4. He needs to show 40-80 isn't just his level against SA and Aus if he wants to bat 4 imo

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought about it, and if he had more big knocks against the best pace attacks I'd consider it. As it is though his reliable steady 40s are more useful opening. They'd be collapse triggers at 4. He needs to show 40-80 isn't just his level against SA and Aus if he wants to bat 4 imo
Yeah he's technically more suited to #4-5 but temperamentally more suited to opening. I think probably the opposite for Conway.