• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

profernity

U19 Debutant
Knowing NZ, perhaps a collapse of the tail was just around the corner, and in fact the rain saved them! What really mars this performance for me is that short period of madness, I can't get over it. I know we needed to win the match to take the series given that Australia are existing holders, but I would have preferred that to have come at the SCG, where I think we only just missed out.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO, Guptil is a better striker of the ball than Duminy yet, until tonight, has barely been mentioned

Needs to work on his technique but could be a great find for NZ

He and Siddle are the best young players I've seen this summer

mccullum42

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wondering what other people think. McCullum has only passed 50 twice in his past 20 ODI innings, and that was against Ireland where he made 166 and against England with 60.

Time to put him back in the middle order, and open the batting with Fulton IMO.
Yeah, he seems so wasted at the top at the moment in the ODI's when he isn't scoring quickly and getting 40's. Would still open him in 20/20 but middle order like he was the other nite - that brought back memories of the 3-0 series over here when he got us home most games.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Man that was dissapointing, we batted like mad well done to guptil and diamanti there getting us nearly home.

Its good we didnt let Aussie win and spoil Punter's plans it was good to see him irritated again. "Unthinkable" was going to happen but alas stopped by the rain

Polo23

International Debutant
Haha, ridiculous. There were in front, but a wicket would've changed everything.
With our best test batsman over the past 4 years coming in next? It was easily 80-20 in favour of the BlackCaps, if not more with Guptill in that form and Diamanti starting to hit it sweetly.

GGG

State Captain
so i thought I would stay up as my baby girl was crying, finally got her to sleep at 4.30am 15 minuts to start, wait and wait hoping their will be some start, gave up after 31/2 hours, got 3 hours sleep but cricket dreams woke me so i checkout what was going on and yah some cricket so i watch this game turning into a nail biter only for more damn rain to come! Bah,

Precambrian

Banned
With our best test batsman over the past 4 years coming in next? It was easily 80-20 in favour of the BlackCaps, if not more with Guptill in that form and Diamanti starting to hit it sweetly.
AWTA. Just cannot understand how Aussies can brag about this game. Just 33 needed from 36 with the current pair having put on 50 and Southee and Vettori to follow.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think the result of a ODI series should have been decided by a T20 game (which is what it eventually became), so in the end a no-result is only fair enough.
Yeah, I agree with this. It would have been a pretty dire way to settle the series, especially if, as people are suggesting, we just assumed New Zealand would win the twenty over contest. Where do you draw the line? What if they were set 50 to win off 5 and were 33/4 off 3? It's just not a true reflection of ODI cricket after a certain point.

Anyway, all that aside, I actually think New Zealand were the better team of the series. Deserved to win, but not in such a farcical way.

thierry henry

International Coach
IMO, Guptil is a better striker of the ball than Duminy yet, until tonight, has barely been mentioned

Needs to work on his technique but could be a great find for NZ

He and Siddle are the best young players I've seen this summer
Mate that's nuts

Guptill is obviously a fine ball-striker but until tonight he'd had a crap series. Not many runs and slow scoring as well.

Duminy scored runs left, right, and centre, that's the most important thing- and he has the domestic record behind him to suggest it was no fluke.

Pretty unbelievable anyone could watch Guptill and Duminy this Australian summer and reckon Guptill is better. A bigger and cleaner hitter, sure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wondering what other people think. McCullum has only passed 50 twice in his past 20 ODI innings, and that was against Ireland where he made 166 and against England with 60.

Time to put him back in the middle order, and open the batting with Fulton IMO.
I dare say he'll go back down the order when Ryder is available again.

Precambrian

Banned
Doubtful - Oz selectors are finally starting to get it right and, barring injuries, I wouldntnt be surprised if Australia smack the Saffies
Smack?

Must be kidding.

Aussie pace attack except Siddle should hold no worries for Saffers if they play Johnson using brains.

profernity

U19 Debutant
If not Fulton to open, and not McCullum IMO, then who?

EDIT: Damn, forgotten about Ryder already.

Last edited: