• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Howe_zat

Audio File
I just realised something - if we suffer anymore injures it may actually be the correct call to inquiry into the availability of the NZ bowling coach.........
I don't think the Kiwis are so sick of the fair play awards that they'd intentionally send out their bowlng coach to injure opposition players.

Or did you mean availabilty as a selection?

BeeGee

International Captain
Ok, so first hit-out for the NZ bowlers

Southee 13 overs 1-56 (4.31) - tad expensive, but created a few chances early on
Boult 12 overs 0-33 (2.75) -economical, but commentary suggests was a touch straight
Martin 10 overs 0-23 (2.30) - bowled with good control
Braces 10 overs 3-37 (3.70) - most likely of the bowlers, I liked Taylor using him for short 3-4 over spells.

Other part-time bowlers combined - 12 overs 0-31 (2.58)

Overall fairly handy start for the bowlers, especially restricting Aust's 2nd string side to just 3.28 after their own batsmen traveled at 4.36

Thoughts on your final XI for the 1st Test?
Sounds like the majority of Kiwi fans here still want 5 bowlers.
Still a coin flip for me. We're playing 4 bowlers in this game and they're getting the job done on a good batting deck. I'm sure the 5 bowler option would look more attractive if Boult chipped in with a few wickets.

New Zealand needs to play five bowlers. Bracewell while he's no Vettori is good enough to bat at eight and his knock today all but confirmed that for me. I just don't believe New Zealand can go into the first test match with four bowlers, especially with an undercooked Tim Southee who is still on a restricted bowling load in this match.
It's funny you should say that considering he has bowled more overs in this game than any other NZ bowler.

Austrlia's strength is their batting at the moment anyway.
It's funny you should say that considering Australia were recently bowled out for 47, but I don't really disagree with you.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Glenn Turner thinks we should play 4 bowlers:

Have the Black Caps hardened up enough? | Stuff.co.nz

Most of New Zealand's discussions will centre on whether to play four or five frontline bowlers. The discussion should be shortlived, because the batting tail is too long if all four seamers play. On a bouncy pitch against quickish bowlers it would be an unexpected bonus for any of our four seamers to contribute much with the bat. Wicketkeeper Reece Young is a useful batsman, but he has limited experience at this level and therefore batting at No8 makes more sense than No7.
I suspect Trent Boult will be the one to miss, because of Doug Bracewell's success in Zimbabwe. Boult is more consistent with the ball and deserved to be selected ahead of Bracewell on the Zimbabwe tour. I would have used the Zimbabwe tour as an opportunity to blood more of our emerging talent, including Bracewell.
Interesting.

From a bowling perspective, it is easy to fall into the trap of adopting the macho approach because it is so easy to get the ball up into the ribcage. A good-length ball on The Gabba pitch needs to be fuller to be effective – and then catching becomes very important.
AWTA. Let's hope the bowlers use their brains.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes interesting article from Turner. Often don't agree with what he has to say but think he had some good points in that article.

I don't know why they didn't take Boult to Zimbabwe as well as Bracewell, for the ODIs too. And as it turned out with the injuries we had, could have easily played both of them in the test and used it almost as a trial. Would have given much more info with which to make decisions now.

BeeGee

International Captain
67th Over: Martin Guptill (0/2) on to bowl leg spin, replacing Martin at the Albion Park end.

Yep, deadly leg spin bowler is Guppy. Watch him turn them square out of the foot marks.

Sylvester

State Captain
Malcolm Conn
#cricket #ausvnz The push for change is sweeping Australian cricket. Look for Pattinson, Starc and Cutting all to be named in the Test 12.

If that is the case then who did Copeland piss off as I don't get how he can go from frontline quick in SL to backup in SA to left right out.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So 100 runs added for the loss of no wickets so far today, ominous signs for NZ's attack after a promising start for the bowlers yesterday

Spikey

Malcolm Conn
#cricket #ausvnz The push for change is sweeping Australian cricket. Look for Pattinson, Starc and Cutting all to be named in the Test 12.

If that is the case then who did Copeland piss off as I don't get how he can go from frontline quick in SL to backup in SA to left right out.
if this happens....can accept pattinson and cutting but starc ahead of copeland would kill me.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
if this happens....can accept pattinson and cutting but starc ahead of copeland would kill me.
Agree. I would also die. I might even enjoy the NZ win then. I also read a few newspaper journos are certain than Hilfenhaus will get a recall. Wonder what would happen if Cowan gets 270*?

adub

International Captain
Exactly. :(

As I've said umpteen times - if NSW have Bollinger, Copeland, Cummins and Hazelwood available, Starc doesn't even make the 12.

Spikey

Agree. I would also die. I might even enjoy the NZ win then. I also read a few newspaper journos are certain than Hilfenhaus will get a recall. Wonder what would happen if Cowan gets 270*?
Yeah I'd even take Starc ahead of Hilf. But ahead of Copeland just blows my mind. can't help but take it as a sign MJ is still in their plans....