• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm generally in favour of as much technology as possible but I'm not sure if I like this, because it's so inconsistent. Heaps of no-balls could go missed throughout the match but they don't bother checking/correcting those, until a wicket falls.
That's true, which is why I think they work towards a dedicated no-ball umpire, and the no ball decided once the ball is bowled, and just get the third-ump to chirp in the ump's ear afterwards.

In the end though I have no issue with a batsmen keeping his wicket because a bowler overstepped.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Who's to say that Young and Vettori don't put on a 300 run partnership if Brownlie wasn't in the team?
If that's your argument why bother with any batsmen at all? The fact that Young seemed absolutely clueless to most of the balls he got in this innings seems a reasonable indicator.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's true, which is why I think they work towards a dedicated no-ball umpire, and the no ball decided once the ball is bowled, and just get the third-ump to chirp in the ump's ear afterwards.

In the end though I have no issue with a batsmen keeping his wicket because a bowler overstepped.

Just use cyclops like in tennis.

*BEEP*

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
If that's your argument why bother with any batsmen at all? The fact that Young seemed absolutely clueless to most of the balls he got in this innings seems a reasonable indicator.
I'm just wondering how people are coming up with the random figure of 130ao, it's based on the same thing that I seem to be getting bagged for. i.e A random guess.

95/5 with Brownlie

295ao

95/5 without Brownlie

130ao

Yeah. OK. You could easily answer 130ao for both of them. You could even guess 295ao for both of them.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
What did he say?
After Clarke was given not out because of the no ball.... Invariably start talking about India.... Imagine the roar if Sachin was bowled and than given not out like this.. one of the commentators.... Tony G " But if it was opposition player.. he wouldn't be able to get back on the field or something along those lines"....:huh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
After Clarke was given not out because of the no ball.... Invariably start talking about India.... Imagine the roar if Sachin was bowled and than given not out like this.. one of the commentators.... Tony G " But if it was opposition player.. he wouldn't be able to get back on the field or something along those lines"....:huh:
Tony Greig has been getting stuck into India all game. That was probably the least offensive thing he's said about the country since the Test started.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ffs, they shouldn't go off in that light. What the point of having lights at all, then?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm just wondering how people are coming up with the random figure of 130ao, it's based on the same thing that I seem to be getting bagged for. i.e A random guess.

95/5 with Brownlie

295ao

95/5 without Brownlie

130ao

Yeah. OK. You could easily answer 130ao for both of them. You could even guess 295ao for both of them.
While you obviously can't say for sure, the only partnership of any substance in the New Zealand innings was between Vettori and Brownlie. Young looked hopeless and none of the tail showed any resistance in far better conditions than were on offer yesterday. Not a huge leap to say New Zealand wouldn't have made much if we'd gone with 4 seamers.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
New Zealand could have been all out for 5 if they'd all been crippled pre-match by Tonya Harding's boyfriend.

I love hypotheticals.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand could have been all out for 5 if they'd all been crippled pre-match by Tonya Harding's boyfriend.

I love hypotheticals.
Indeed. Australia would've been bowled out for 6 if New Zealand had a time machine, and could go back and pick Malcolm Marshall, Wasim Akram, Fred Trueman and Murali.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Tony Greig has been getting stuck into India all game. That was probably the least offensive thing he's said about the country since the Test started.
Haha nice. I haven't been watching the game, what are some of the more offensive things he's said?

R_D

International Debutant

Ah i see.... Only started watching the cricket that time.... thats also when all the comments on cricinfo from Indians against Tony G started pouring in i think...

Flem274*

123/5
I wonder how much better we would bat if the batsmen knew there was a guy waiting in the wings to replace them and the insurance policy has been elevated to six.

If you're going to use the possibility of being 96/5 as justification for going in with four bowlers which include a young swing bowler, and two test veteran, a containing spinner and a 36 year old past his prime who wasn't all that great in the first place, imo you're being way too defensive.

At 96/5, playing five bowlers isn't the issue. The issue is the poor performance from the batsmen.