• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand domestic season 2022/23

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lap sweep, haha McComb will get an absolute earful and a half
definitely a #11 McComb. Chris Martin-esque.
Shame for Severin though. Hope it wasn’t aiming for the boundary to nail the double ton that got him out.

EDIT: Just seen the replays. Severin was definitely going for the boundary for the 200. Real shame for him that.

Last edited:

OnTheBank

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Also why aren't we referring to them as Ghillips and Dhillips yet?
When Otago first signed him, I gave him the nick Shillips to reflect him being the **** phillips. It was a bit harsh and it has been nice watching his development over the last couple of years

jcas0167

International Debutant
Argh, that is heartbreaking for Severin and Wellington. Great game though and cool to see him and Clarke getting maiden tons. Kristian Clarke with a maiden five wicket bag too. Suspect he will be in Black Caps contention in the next year.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Saw the comments on here but didn't quite realise how badly Wellington botched that until I saw the scorecard and highlights. Four runs to win with three wickets in hand... and they lost by two runs :-O.

Sad for Severin though, looks an amazing knock.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember playing against him, maybe under 17’s. Was damn quick then. I always find careers like Morgan’s interesting. It can be any sport but 17 domestic games in total before he’s 21 and than nothing, he was done. Obviously injuries usually play a part in things like that but if it’s anything else it makes for a very interesting story
Yeah, Morgs was sharp. Probably wasn't much above 130s but he was slippery quick, bowled a quick bouncer.

I don't recall him ever being injured, he just completely torched the best parts out of his game and became a 120s bowler who blocked the crap out of it. When I say overcoached, Dipak Patel was his coach who got the best out of CdG, Munro, Andy de Boorder, turned Ajaz into a Test spinner, Ish (I think?) and was a world class technician as a coach. So it wasn't all on him. Morgs was like CdG in a lot of ways, pretty simple fella who didn't think too hard about his game or over complicate it, but why he ended up going away from what was working, was beyond me. It was pretty sad to watch, to be honest.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven’t played a lot of top cricket or against that many top cricketers, but at junior level and when playing lower level cricket I saw Dusan do things I never saw anyone else do. My recollection is he was extremely prolific at junior rep level and then onto club level without getting a look in for Auckland which I could never understand, because he was not only prolific but the sort of flamboyant cricketer whose talent was extremely obvious. I am aware of a few reasons for why that would have been (ranging from legitimate to not legitimate). Seems like errr….his face may not have fit.

Did score 141(142) out of a total of 240 in a FC game against ND in his brief and belated Auckland career.
I'm probably naive but I don't like to think 'face may not have fit' would fly in selection process. Auckland did have some good players of all ethnicities around this time - Tama Canning, Daryl Tuffey, Andre Adams, Tarun Nethula, Azhar Abbas, Bhupinder Singh, Heath Davis, Ronnie Hira, Dave Houpapa, Anaru Kitchen, Craig Pryor, Jeet Raval...that's a whole XI of Maori + Asian guys who played pretty regularly.

Dusan was a freak, no doubt. He did things I never saw anyone do either, like score 300 in an U15 game, bat without gloves and score runs, and drop kick me into Mt Eden Jail on the Grammar lower field. Amazingly talented sportsman, gun rugby and AFL player, too. But we never got too concerned playing him as a good club side, he never tended to score runs against us or the Cornwalls etc. And I don't remember him scoring big runs for Auckland A. Apparently that 141* was an insane knock on a green one, no one else got over 23 (although ND did get 600 in reply). Worth mentioning that apart from that innings, he scored 120 FC runs at 15s in 8 completed innings, and averaged 10 in List A + T20. Maybe with the right mentor, or the right environment, he could've done more - certainly he had the ability.

His sides (Kelston 1st XI and Waitakere) were exactly like him - they could absolutely blitz you on your day with scary skill, or roll over to be all out for 60 in 7 overs.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
That miracle ND win yesterday was a big deal in terms of the Plunket Shield table, with one round to go.

Canterbury 83
ND 79

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm probably naive but I don't like to think 'face may not have fit' would fly in selection process.
I didn't really mean that (the "face didn't fit" thing is a bit of a CW meme and I've sort of misused it a bit here). I was always under the impression he was a bit of a "different character" and that may have affected both his actual on-field performance and the perception of how he would go at higher levels. I can't really say for sure to what extent he deserved more chances or whether he was ever likely to succeed. I just know that he was both more visibly talented and more prolific at age group/lower grades than others I know who played plenty of FC cricket or even internationals. Bashing it in under-18s and surviving good bowling at FC level are obviously two very different skills though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't really mean that (the "face didn't fit" thing is a bit of a CW meme and I've sort of misused it a bit here). I was always under the impression he was a bit of a "different character" and that may have affected both his actual on-field performance and the perception of how he would go at higher levels. I can't really say for sure to what extent he deserved more chances or whether he was ever likely to succeed. I just know that he was both more visibly talented and more prolific at age group/lower grades than others I know who played plenty of FC cricket or even internationals. Bashing it in under-18s and surviving good bowling at FC level are obviously two very different skills though.
Yeah he is/was different to your run of the mill FC batsman. And he was so much more talented than guys in age-group stuff, but as I say, I don't ever think good sides were that worried about playing him.

ataraxia

International Coach
Here's a photo of Morgs at his peak of overanalysis, where he was told to stay in his action and not lift his head. We were genuinely scared he was going to get smoked one day

View attachment 35106
Just mentioned (as Gareth Morgan) by Elliott on test comms amidst an utterly painful Sumo line of questioning. Apparently went on a one-day tour for NZ A, alongside Anderson, Boult, Southee, a 16yo Kane, and Elliott himself.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Just mentioned (as Gareth Morgan) by Elliott on test comms amidst an utterly painful Sumo line of questioning. Apparently went on a one-day tour for NZ A, alongside Anderson, Boult, Southee, a 16yo Kane, and Elliott himself.
Yeah, that sounds about right. Weird that it came up after our discussion. I think he scored runs in an NZ u19 v NZ Masters XI as well, which might've been a curtain raiser to a T20I or a standalone game?

Flem274*

123/5
Weird that it came up after our discussion.
Is it? You of all people should know a pile of players and ex-players lurk here and put themselves through reading our **** opinions.

I hope poor old Henry Nicholls doesn't. His brother being NZ media manager means the brother is half a chance, poor guy.