• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Wellington batting 123 overs until they were all out in the first innings. Tactically, I assume they are happy if this game is just a bonus point hit out - rather than risking CD picking up outright win points.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Why has Auckland v Canterbury been abandoned (according to scorecard)? Auckland were getting demolished - 66/6 after 49 overs in reply to 485.

I'm not at all critical of NZ selectors choosing Astle over Sodhi for the test series, but still perfect response from Sodhi to go and pick up a 7-fer. Watched all the wickets and only one was a half tracker too.

Immenso

Why has Auckland v Canterbury been abandoned (according to scorecard)? Auckland were getting demolished - 66/6 after 49 overs in reply to 485.
About to ask the same thing. Not due to weather. Pitch looks ok from what i can see on the video scorecard.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Why has Auckland v Canterbury been abandoned (according to scorecard)? Auckland were getting demolished - 66/6 after 49 overs in reply to 485...
Ace's Twitter: Match abandoned down in Rangiora. Pitch deemed unplayable by the umpires. #PlunketShield

Only 3 overs played today. Only wicket to fall was McEwan who got a leading edge which lobbed to mid wicket. The other 2 balls on today's highlights replays looked fine, Cachopa guided Hazeldine behind point for 4, McEwan edged Williams for 4 past gully.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That is very odd when Canterbury have just scored 485/6 on the same pitch. And indeed Auckland losing 6 wickets in 49 overs is not even particularly spectacular.

Immenso

So first innings each not even completed. I wonder how they work out the points. Because Auckland still, sort of, in contention.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I can see the Ross comparison now with McClure (Couple of blokes here said it awhile back). But boy is his head position odd at times, seems to try to snap into some sort of position and level it off in his load-up but other times just keeps slanted at at a 45 degree angle.
There's definitely a lot of bottom hand in some of those hockey shots. Also somehow manages to look the least imposing batsman at the crease ever - sort of hunches inward-looking in his stance.

200 though, can't argue with that.

The Hutt Rec

Wellington batting 123 overs until they were all out in the first innings. Tactically, I assume they are happy if this game is just a bonus point hit out - rather than risking CD picking up outright win points.
It seems like the typical Basin test pitch - green on the first morning turning into a road. So maybe not the worst decision.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Auckland weren't happy from very early in their innings yesterday. Then you see McEwan shaping to walk off the ground there at 0:37 whether the umpires liked it or not, five balls before they called it.

jcas0167

International Debutant
A fiery spell by Milne, Woodcock having to retire hurt and Murdoch gloved one trying to evade a bouncer. Update: what a spell by Tickner!

The pitch was apparently starting to play up during the Canterbury innings too.

''Right from the start the occasional ball would rear off a length which was unplayable. While Canterbury batted through the better part of the pitch conditions, one or two of their batsmen were struck.

''Auckland were struggling to get it off the block. The occasional one would come through head high, then would shoot through low. A couple of their players had been struck. This morning a ball reared badly and hit (Auckland batsman) Matt McEwan on the helmet.''
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12015717

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Young appears to be scoring more freely on the onside than before, though in the big ton he still got out lbw trying to play to the onside.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Rangiora's always been a dud pitch, be rid of it. No one likes going there except batsmen looking to get on the front dog and boost their season average.

Donkers might've been quite willing to come out on the front foot saying Auckland weren't up for the fight, but whether he'd want to put his batsmen in the way of Lochie on that pitch...probably not.

Blain

U19 Captain
Never understood why they play out at Rangi, surely they would be better off playing at a local park, or even Lincoln. Bloody Hagley should be the only venue but that got protested years ago and somehow CHCH bent over..

Immenso

I assume Hagley wasn't used due to test pitch preparations. Or maybe the North Canterbury sub-union gets a game a year as part of their internal fixture structing etc.

Rangiora had had a long history of hosting FC cricket (At Dudley Park back in the day and more recently at the newer gorund), including Shell Trophy finals. This is hardly some sort of whacky out there crazy idea to play a game at Rangiora.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Weird, it looks like Wellington have been given permission to play a replacement batsman (Ridley) in the absence of Woodcock. I've heard of that for last minute international call-ups, but this is the first time I've seen it for an injury.