• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand Domestic Season 2013/2014

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
why no mitch m for auckland btw?
Yeah I went looking for details on Ferguson's injury and Mitch just now. I got the vibe of "why would anyone with a $1M mortgage care about this ****?", as usual. :p

Mitch's Clean Paleo startup is taking off and he's got a key meeting with distributors, probably.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
So Rance is actually playing eh?

Getting both Ryder and Dougeh from Auckland to Nelson without incident, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seth Rance. There's a blast from the kinda recent past. Doubt he'll be batting 11. I'd assumed that Noema-Barnett was injured for Rance to get a game. Must be expecting the ball to move around a fair bit.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Second-top run-scoring averaging 50, top wicket-taker averaging 20-odd. Gun.
He's always been an under-rated player. Didn't get much of an opportunity at international level and I think his international days have bypassed him but I wouldn't be unhappy if he was to get another crack.

GingerBreadMan

School Boy/Girl Captain
He's always been an under-rated player. Didn't get much of an opportunity at international level and I think his international days have bypassed him but I wouldn't be unhappy if he was to get another crack.
Well the only player he would/could replace would be Anderson and that's not happening anytime soon

jcas0167

International Debutant
Which shows the incredible depth NZ now have in that hard hitting all-rounder role. I remember being quite eager for him to qualify for NZ and assuming he would have a pretty big international career. I thought he did pretty well in his ODI debut (and only ODI match) against South Africa, scoring 36 off 36 balls before being run out. I'd like to think he'll get another opportunity at some stage.

Howsie

International Captain
Our man Howsie wants to talk about depth...he'll want to ignore ND's keeping stocks. Below BJ, they have
Tim Seifert

I noticed Johnny Bassett-Graham playing for Auckland's A team a few weeks ago, back there after not getting anywhere down here I see.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, only an idiot would think that post has any role to play in the development of a good blog. Seriously dude, troll harder.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Hang on? Didn't Hopkins start of at ND?
I remember there was a time (probably when Hopkins was starting off and therefore moved) that 3 or 4 of the provinces had ND keepers who couldn't get past the might of Robbie Hart; Sigley, Croy, Hopkins.

It's a long time ago, though ........

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Milne catches the eye but former great warns don't push him
RICHARDSON, Daniel. Manawatu Standard [Palmerston North, New Zealand] 10 Dec 2010:

Manawatu pace bowler Adam Milne is being talked up as the next big thing, but there's one man who says he should be left to play domestic cricket for a while yet.

Following Milne's brisk opening spells in the national Twenty20 competition, there have been whispers going around about him, including a ringing endorsement of his talent from Black Cap legend Shane Bond.

But former international Lance Cairns said despite Milne's potential, he does not want to see him fast-tracked in to the national side after a few first-class matches, as New Zealand has a shocking habit of doing.

"With Adam I just hope they hold him back and don't pick him for whatever sides for another couple of seasons," Cairns said.

"An apprenticeship has to be served . . . You must learn what the game's all about."

Cairns, who lives in Gisborne, works for New Zealand Cricket as a junior selector, focusing on fast bowling and talent identification.

Ironically, as the hype continues to grow around Milne, there's another Palmerston North 18-year-old, who has caught Cairns' attention.

"The boy that I like the most of them all is a kid called Bevan Small.

"I'm quite glad that he has been, I suppose, struggling with fitness so that's kept him out of the limelight, out of any of the teams and he can make his own way gradually.

"He's a kid that can bowl very, very quickly with minimal effort and to me those are the types of kids that are great to work with."

Small, a former New Zealand under-19 player, has returned to the field after battling finger and shoulder problems.

He had been mentioned as a possibility to play for Central Districts last summer, but missed out because of a back injury.
Injuries put brakes on young star
LAMPP, Peter. Manawatu Standard [Palmerston North, New Zealand] 17 Dec 2010

Pace bowler Bevan Small is fighting back after a year of injuries.

For Manawatu pace bowler Bevan Small, 2010 can't disappear quickly enough.

Touted as a future Black Cap, his cricket was almost stalled while he battled injuries.

And, for the past two weeks he was in the hospital undergoing blood tests for some illness or other.

"Get all of this out of the way and I'll be sweet," he said.

At least he has been back playing for his club, Freyberg, and for Manawatu in the Hawke Cup elimination games.

"I haven't bowled at full pace since the World Cup," he said.

That's the under-19 World Cup where Small was part of the main New Zealand XI and was timed on the speed radar at 141kmh.

Since then he has broken a finger at training and dislocated a shoulder, which he fixed by wriggling around and popping it back into place himself. There's also been a side strain.

"I've had a pretty rough winter. I played 13 years of rugby, had one or two shoulder things and knee ligaments last year," he recounted.

"I've had three or four times the injuries through cricket. It's been pretty frustrating not being able to bowl."

Because of his shoulder, he's bowling about 75 per cent of full steam.

Since before the World Cup, former New Zealand windmill bowler Lance Cairns has mentored Small, as did Mark Greatbatch before he became New Zealand coach and latterly Manawatu's player-coach, Ian Sandbrook.

Small caught up with Cairns, now living at Gisborne, when he was with Manawatu at Tauranga in the pre-season and Cairns said there's no rush.

"He has always told me he likes my bowling and not to let coaches change it. Last year he came to Manawatu a lot and I was having training with him every week."

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I really miss that bowler A-Z video - I used to frequently watch it to remind myself of Small's action and others.