• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
That is amazing. First time I tried access it I did something wrong, but second time I got it to work.

Just watched some highlights of Canterbury v Wellington. I really like the look of most of the Canterbury bowling attack even if very inexperienced.
Now I've just watched McClenaghan 6-for.

While I've been very impressed with his comeback, this was not a particularly good 6-for. His dismissals of Neesham & Wagner are particularly amusing. Neesham off the helmet but the ump thought it hit his periscope, while Wagner managed to double-hit a hook shot into the slips.

I'm sure he has days when good balls don't get wickets, so you take them all ......

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Now I've just watched McClenaghan 6-for.

While I've been very impressed with his comeback, this was not a particularly good 6-for. His dismissals of Neesham & Wagner are particularly amusing. Neesham off the helmet but the ump thought it hit his periscope, while Wagner managed to double-hit a hook shot into the slips.

I'm sure he has days when good balls don't get wickets, so you take them all ......
Yeah agree it wasn't the most impressive 6-for. Thought he might swing it but didn't see any evidence of that in the clips.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If I am to get all anoraky, Van Woerkam and Johnston have regularly done well at National U17, U18, U19 tournaments in the last few years, high on the wicket taker tables IIRC. Plus Johnston was NZ's top wicket taker in the last U19 world cup?

But I have no idea about how they bowl, apart from one being an left arm orthodox and the other an offie.

Young left arm orthodox (Wightman) debuted successfully for CD this week while another leftarmer Santner has debuted for ND this season. As to how attacking they are, no idea .....

But tbh, not sure how useful a winter training camp on indoor artificial pitches would be for young spinners anyway, plus spinners take longer to mature so it is Astle, Nethula etc that resources should be being expended on. But are the young batsmen going to face much spin bowling at this camp?
I haven't seen van W but I've seen the rest. Johnston is a flattish offie, definitely more suited to limited overs. Same with the left-armers.

I was more bemoaning the fact there is seemingly nothing coming through. Might be best to become like England, and instead of drafting in SA players do it with sub-continental spinners that aren't getting a go over there...

In other news, if a fast bowler goes over Gillespie must be close for the Test side

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Daryl Tuffey 12th man for Auckland against CD. Where has he been all season? I thought he'd given up or something. I assume he'll replace Martin on Sunday when the Test squad gets together.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Had bicep surgery before the season, has been playing as a batsman in club cricket for most of the summer but is obviously back now.

I'd say he's a late replacement for de Grandhomme who has flown up to join the ODI squad.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Thanks mate. Reckon CdG is a chance for the Test side? He does have some FC form on his side this season to be fair. One of the Radio Sport commentators just suggested he might be in with a shot.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Wellington's XI for the current match is a disappointingly conservative selection IMO. Light on bowlers. I'm keen to drop in at the Basin over the next few days. but if Woodcock is bowling at one end and Elliot at the other I will be straight back out again .....

If I wanted to watch part time spinners and medium pacers I would watch the HRV Cup.

Bad timing for Tipene Friday to be injured.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks mate. Reckon CdG is a chance for the Test side? He does have some FC form on his side this season to be fair. One of the Radio Sport commentators just suggested he might be in with a shot.
It would be the form of the game his numbers suggest he's best equipped at...but no, I don't think he's in consideration. Had a good season but I think there's 3-4 at least that are ahead of him in the pecking order (Nicol, Franklin, van Wyk, probably Wells, maybe even Ellis)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Would have to guess so...CD seem to have a massive injury toll on seamers, yet they're the province who gets out on grass decks the most which is supposed to be seen as an advantage as far as injuries go. Althouh that's probably just with their new crop - Mason, Schwass, Thompson, Hamilton etc never had many dramas.

Apparently Tuffey is just carrying the drinks out of a last-minute favour due to de Grandhomme, won't/can't bowl.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, he's never going to maintain any sort of rhythm with a run up like that. Seems he's a wicket taker though.

Auckland 95/7 with Noema-Barnett with 28/3.

Last edited: