• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BARMY_LAD said:
(In regards to my comment "Your only as good as your last game")

Class may stay, form can come and go -take Matthew Hayden's recent slump in Test Cricket (averageing 34.25 in his last 12 Test Matches!!).
There is quite simply no excuse for the fact that you lost to Bangladesh and you have lost your recent 4 matches... its proof in black and white! Your results in previous months don't count for anything in my book, only this series.
Yes, I do believe that Australia have hit the wall... take South Africa for example, they have been long regarded as the number two side in the World and now look at them (ranked 4th in ODI's and 6th in Test Cricket) and although it is true in saying that Australia could lose all of their ODI's this series and still maintain their number one position it doesnt convince me that their CURRENT side is a great one.

In regards to Solanki... I agree with you... I am not his biggest fan either, Tremlett may be the way to go, but I suppose its like the old saying "If it aint broken, don't fix it!"
Hayden has been performing poorly and, as a result, was omitted from the ODI team. Fortunately, he improved in NZ and his form in England is of no real concern.

As for the others, dont jump the gun.

Ponting had a bad weekend but remains one of the world's leading players.

Gilchrist was dreadful in the ODIs in NZ but has scored, I think, 4 hundreds in his last 5 test innings.

Martyn is as good a player as just about anyone in the world at the moment.

Clarke has been persevered with because of potential and has looked very solid in the ODIs.

Hussey would get in most test sides and I think that its' significant that he is one of the few Australians that has not had a break.

McGrath remains the best fast bowler in the world.

Warne, alongside Murali, remains the best spinner in the world.

Concerns are Gillespie/Kaspa, who bowled incredibly poorly last week, and Lee, who we need at full tilt. Both need time in the middle

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Class may stay, form can come and go -take Matthew Hayden's recent slump in Test Cricket (averageing 34.25 in his last 12 Test Matches!!).
There is quite simply no excuse for the fact that you lost to Bangladesh and you have lost your recent 4 matches... its proof in black and white! Your results in previous months don't count for anything in my book, only this series.
Yes, I do believe that Australia have hit the wall... take South Africa for example, they have been long regarded as the number two side in the World and now look at them (ranked 4th in ODI's and 6th in Test Cricket) and although it is true in saying that Australia could lose all of their ODI's this series and still maintain their number one position it doesnt convince me that their CURRENT side is a great one.
So on one hand you effectively say 'form is temporary, class is permanent' but then straight away you say recent results mean nothing and that THIS series is what matters, totally ignoring the fact that this is the first dip in form for this team for a while? So are you saying this current Aussie slide is a class thing or a form thing because right now you're saying it's both.

As for the loss to Bangladesh, they played well and the Aussies played poorly with Mohammed Ashraful playing the innings of his life to get them home. His CURRENT average is around 18 so that suggests he really did play well above himself which is just too bad for the Aussies. He played unbelievably well supported by some good work by the others and the Aussies didn't; it's not a crime.

The Aussies have only been pumelled by the press because everyone else has beaten the Bangladeshi's which conveniently ignores the fact that the Aussies have beaten everyone else. So the fact they lost to Bangladesh is more indicative of a form and confidence trough than anything else which every team goes through.

Last edited:

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
Top_Cat said:
So on one hand you effectively say 'form is temporary, class is permanent' but then straight away you say recent results mean nothing and that THIS series is what matters, totally ignoring the fact that this is the first dip in form for this team for a while? So are you saying this current Aussie slide is a class thing or a form thing because right now you're saying it's both.
Granted, I may be perceived as sitting on the fence, or 'having my cake and eating it too' but I do feel that too much emphasis is being placed on what Australia has done in the past. Yes... they have dominated World Cricket for some time now, but their reign will come to an end... whether or not it is in this series time will tell.
I am not ignoring the fact that this may be their 'first dip in form for this team in a while' nor am I saying that they wont fight back, merely that we should only focus on THIS SERIES
Anyway, what's wrong with a bit of arrogance? God knows I've put up with it for the past 15 years or so being an Englishman living downunder, now it is our turn to dish it out!

Top_Cat said:
As for the loss to Bangladesh, they played well and the Aussies played poorly with Mohammed Ashraful playing the innings of his life to get them home. His CURRENT average is around 18 so that suggests he really did play well above himself which is just too bad for the Aussies. He played unbelievably well supported by some good work by the others and the Aussies didn't; it's not a crime.

The Aussies have only been pumelled by the press because everyone else has beaten the Bangladeshi's which conveniently ignores the fact that the Aussies have beaten everyone else. So the fact they lost to Bangladesh is more indicative of a form and confidence trough than anything else which every team goes through.
Still... at least we're 5-0 against Bangladesh as opposed to your 6-1.
Take it on the chin :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
yeah all three Aussies were within 1mph average. Flintoff had the highest average IIRC around 86, Harmison's average was around 85.5 but he had teh fastest ball, Gough was barely faster than the Aussie trio
Gough and Harmison both had a tendency to bowl quite a few 'slower balls'.

If Gillespie had tried one, it would have not reached the batsman.

(only post of the day - at work - so make it a good one)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BARMY_LAD said:
How could they POSSIBLY have hit a wall in the last 6 weeks when they haven't been playing? Do you realise how ludicrous that sounds? McGrath averaged 15 in the tests in New Zealand - what has happened to him in the last few weeks? Warne averaged 20, what's happened to him? Gilchrist has three centuries and a 50 in four test innings this year... what's happened to him?

Nothing has happened to them, you don't just suddenly forget how to play or hit the age wall in an instant.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
BARMY_LAD said:
(In regards to my comment "Your only as good as your last game")

In regards to Solanki... I agree with you... I am not his biggest fan either, Tremlett may be the way to go, but I suppose its like the old saying "If it aint broken, don't fix it!"
I believe the quote you are looking for is, 'form is temporary, class is permanent'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BARMY_LAD said:
Yes... they have dominated World Cricket for some time now, but their reign will come to an end... whether or not it is in this series time will tell.
Regardless of if the series ends 5-0 to England, their reign will not be over.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
and what is the reasoning behind it?
jones averages 16.5 in ODI cricket, hogg averages 25.
jones has 2 50s, both against zimbabwe, hogg has 2, one against england and the other against WI.
jones' list A average is 22, hogg's average is 29.
if you seriously think the word 'batsman' goes with someone whos never scored a 50, then you are obviously out of your mind.
I have my reasons; however, I know better than to get into an endless tennis match with you, so for the sake of my sanity I will forfeit and say that I am obviously out of my mind. For Australia's sake, I hope that you're right, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Regardless of if the series ends 5-0 to England, their reign will not be over.
I think if Australia get whitewashed England will be quite rightly called the best team in the world. You can't fluke such an absolute pasting over 5 tests. Obviously this is assuming half of Australia's team don't miss the whole series with injury or something. If Australia play at close to full strength and get breaten THAT badly, their reign will be over for all intents and purposes, unless they turn it around immediately afterwards.

If England were to win a thrilling series 2-1 or something though, I don't think it would necessarily mean England were the best team in the world, just that they had improved, Australia had declined and the gap was quite narrow. If England win the return leg in Australia as well, then they would be the clear number 1.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
Given how dubious the claim is, I doubt he needs any really. I have no doubt he's a sleazebag at heart, but I don't think the Australian team would come together and ask as one for the girl to keep quiet as she claimed.
Or that he stripped naked in front of her, he was lucky he wasn't locked up.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
You have got it spot on again Mr.Wright :D. Once more you have lived up to your user name.
Thanks mate. It's still my opinion though that Ponting would be better suited at 4 than 3, but that isn't going to change.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Katich shouldn't be in the ODI side at all right now, I don't think, so long as Hayden is still opening.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

It's either that, or leave Hussey out for an all-rounder like Watson or Hopes so Symonds and Clarke aren't needed to bowl 10. Top 6 is pretty settled as far as I can see.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Katich shouldn't be in the ODI side at all right now, I don't think, so long as Hayden is still opening.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

It's either that, or leave Hussey out for an all-rounder like Watson or Hopes so Symonds and Clarke aren't needed to bowl 10. Top 6 is pretty settled as far as I can see.
Would be pretty unfair on Hussey to leave him out. ;)

What's the argument for batting Symonds higher than Hussey?